An Old School Catholic Message Board

Remnant video on the Synod

Ancilla Domini

Not A Real Name

why do you think that the catholic faith (in the US) is in such a great decline then?

Probably because there are a lot of wishy washy Catholics who treat the Church like it's some club that needs to change with the times. 

why do you think that the catholic faith (in the US) is in such a great decline then?

That's a good question. I have not really thought about it, so it is tough for me to say. For one, I am not sure that I would say that the Church in the US is in a great decline. But if by decline you mean a drop in the number of professed Catholics, I suppose that the reasons for that are pretty complex. It seems that there has been an overall drop in religiosity in the US that has affected all Christians, not only Catholics. You certainly have people who want to attack the Church. It seems to me that there has been pretty poor Catechesis in recent years, so a significant number of people were not really firmly rooted in their faith to start with. You also have a pretty modern, individualistic culture, whereby people in general see themselves as being more self-reliant than reliant on God. That culture is probably most prevalent in the USA. You also have the failure of many people within the Church to live up to the standards that She sets and that has hurt her image (such as the pedophile priests, etc.)  All of those come into play I think.

Read matthew 9:11 -13

"What does the Church have to CHANGE to fit into my lifestyle and not offend me in my sinfulness???"

Because the sinners are the ones who need the help, that's why!

Isn't it odd that the   Crucial  verse to this  discussion is 911 

dominicansoul

Read matthew 9:11 -13

Because the sinners are the ones who need the help, that's why!

Isn't it odd that the   Crucial  verse to this  discussion is 911

Sinners get help only when they are told the Truth.  Ever hear the saying, "The Truth shall set you free?" 

Believe me, this sinner needs the Church.  I was just at Confession last night.  I don't want to be told, "it's okay, ur okay, ur sins are okay."  I want to be told, "God is merciful and your sins have been forgiven go and sin no more." 

Sinners get help only when they are told the Truth.  Ever hear the saying, "The Truth shall set you free?" 

Believe me, this sinner needs the Church.  I was just at Confession last night.  I don't want to be told, "it's okay, ur okay, ur sins are okay."  I want to be told, "God is merciful and your sins have been forgiven go and sin no more." 

you're preaching to the choir,  brother 

Credo in Deum

Our Lord is the Divine Physician. Sometimes His medicines are hard to swallow, but they are always for the well-being of our souls.  

MarysLittleFlower

what about forgiveness

There's no forgiveness without repentance. God doesn't force His grace on us. A person who has no intent to stop committing the sin is not repentant. A couple living as husband and wife without a valid marriage are sinning. If the Church let them receive the Sacraments in this state it would be reception of Sacraments in mortal sin and each time they do this they would be committing sacrilige. Then when they die, if they don't repent, they'd be guilty not only of the other sin but also hundreds of sacriligeous Communions and Confessions. That is very serious. People who advocate for these couples to have the Sacraments without ending the sin, don't understand what they are truly arguing for. True charity cares for the persons spiritual good not just their feelings. What is the use of feeling accepted or whatever while being on the path to hell and have everyone encourage you there. What kind of a friend would do that. 

That's how the Churchs teaching is way more charitable than that of people who want the active homosexuals and divorced 'remarried' people to have Communion. They would be receiving unto their greater condemnation not salvation. We don't get forgiven if we have no intent to.stop the sin. 

This goes for any sin BTW. When I.confess my sins the priest looks for true repentance too that's part of being a confessor. If I have no purpose of amendment its invalid. Why would there be an exception for this. So if someone is divorced and with someone, the priest would help them get out of sin. If there are children there are ways for them to be taken cared of without the parents living as spouses. And if the children are told through example that marriage doesn't matter, how would that affect them spiritually? That's important too. I think.there are people against this teaching not because the Church is "mean" but because the reality of sin has been lost today in society and its all about feelings. 

For myself I'd rather save my soul than go to hell feeling comfortable with my life. 

If there are children there are ways for them to be taken cared of without the parents living as spouses. And if the children are told through example that marriage doesn't matter, how would that affect them spiritually? That's important too. I think.there are people against this teaching not because the Church is "mean" but because the reality of sin has been lost today in society and its all about feelings. 

For myself I'd rather save my soul than go to hell feeling comfortable with my life. 

O No, i don't believe it!   if you was this child, you might not agree.  wouldn't it be better to accept the wayward parents, repent, accept and keep the family together?  two wrongs don't make a right, my dear.  

an now a song by Frank Zappa

Oh no
I don't believe it
You say that you think you know
The meaning of love
You say love is all we need
You say
With your love you can change
All of the fools
All of the hate
I think you're probably
Out to lunch

Oh no
I don't believe it
You say that you think you know
The meaning of love
Do you really think it can be told?
You say that you really know
I think
You should check it again
How can you say
What you believe
Will be the key to a
World of love?

All your love -
Will it save me?
All your love -
Will it save the world
From what we can't understand
Oh no
I don't believe it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrxx72AK0ZU 

MarysLittleFlower

The parents are not repenting if they stay together living as spouses. They are not together. They are living together but not united by matrimony. Would you say the same of two people cohabitating with a child? because its the same thing. You say "repent", but theres no repentance in them living together. Repentance means *leaving* sin. 

Not "feeling sorry" while intending to still sin. That's not genuine. 

Its like saying "I'm sorry I stole 5 dollars... I'm planning on stealing 5 dollars again tomorrow". Makes no sense. 

That's an insult to Confession , frankly.

Would you say the same of two people cohabitating with a child? because its the same thing.

Cohabitation is sinful, i agree.

that being said; a child still deserves his or her natural parents.  Nor should a child born out of wedlock or the parents be condemned, a new born child is and always will be a blessing.

MarysLittleFlower

I don't know how to say this because I feel I've been repeating myself over and over... The Church is not mean and condemning in saying the parents should separate in this case. Its helping them to be *saved*. Living in sin doesn't lead to salvation. Its that simple. A Pope last century wrote an encyclical last century called Casti Connubii and he said there I think, if I recall correctly that parents in this case should not continue living as they are even for the children. Do you see how its a mortal sin to be living as husband and wife if unmarried. 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

Repentance means *leaving* sin. 

BTW:  your only half right:

Definition: Repentance means a sincere turning away, in both the mind and heart, from self to God.

1. To feel remorse, contrition, or self-reproach for what one has done or failed to do; be contrite: "[He] liked to visit prisoners and admonish them to repent of their ways"
2. To feel such regret for past conduct as to change one's mind regarding it: repented of intemperate behavior. You'd better accept their offer before they repent.
3. To become a more moral or religious person as a result of remorse or contrition for one's sins.
v.tr.
1. To feel regret or self-reproach for: repent one's sins.
2. Archaic To cause (one or oneself) to feel remorse or regret: "And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth" (King James Bible).