An Old School Catholic Message Board

Remnant video on the Synod

Ancilla Domini

MarysLittleFlower

My point is this necessarily includes not wanting to sin again. It's necessary for a valid absolution. If a couple goes to Confession intending to still live together in a non celibate way, and to not avoid occasions of this sin, they do not receive absolution validly. The couple would need to live as brother and sister and separate somehow. They'd need to figure out the details of living arrangements and children with a good priest. 

It's not really one or the other. Parents of children born out of wedlock could separate until they're married in the Church. Perhaps their could be a way to expedite things for those with children so they don't have to wait the standard 6 months. I mean I know it's not ideal, but perhaps an option.

I've Been thinking ...

how can a situation as discussed above and so common place today be so tabo 

I know of meny young couples starting over, remarrying outside the church but faithful and loving in every sense of the word ...with beautiful children  and good family values.   

I don't need to be lectured on Catholic  virtue , I attended catholic schools growing up and it wasn't lay teachers  either      It was strict Catholic nuns and  Priest  

most are good people

Incidentally, I married and loved ( in a biblical way)  only one woman  my whole life until passed on a few years ago, so please spair me the BS

move along - there's nothing to see here

MarysLittleFlower
On 11/19/2015 12:49:28, little2add said:

I've Been thinking ...

how can a situation as discussed above and so common place today be so tabo 

I know of meny young couples starting over, remarrying outside the church but faithful and loving in every sense of the word ...with beautiful children  and good family values.   

I don't need to be lectured on Catholic  virtue , I attended catholic schools growing up and it wasn't lay teachers  either      It was strict Catholic nuns and  Priest  

most are good people

Incidentally, I married and loved ( in a biblical way)  only one woman  my whole life until passed on a few years ago, so please spair me the BS

move along - there's nothing to see here

they can be kind caring people who are misinformed about Church teaching or badly catechized. The Church still teaches what it teaches. There are very kind non Christians too, doesn't mean Christianity is wrong. It just means they have a certain natural personality. We need more than this though, we need God's grace to save us.

The couple in this situation needs to either separate or to separate before their marriage is recognized, if it can be. They can't live in sin and we shouldn't put ourselves into occasions of sin. They can speak to a priest about how to arrange with the children. But I don't see how parents living in sin for the children is fine - end doesn't justify the means. 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

abandonment of children - end doesn't justify the means, either

the die has been cast 

An irrevocable choice has been made.

Edited by little2add

Jesus didn't like his moms request that he do something for the newlyweds at the wedding a Cana .   He even complained that it wasn't his time... 

Then there was the time he wandered away at the temple and disipaired for a few days.   When she finely found he got an earfull, I bet.    You can't blame Mary , for getting a little  upset.  I would of to if she was me!

18 minutes ago, little2add said:

Jesus didn't like his moms request that he do something for the newlyweds at the wedding a Cana .   He even complained that it wasn't his time... 

Then there was the time he wandered away at the temple and disipaired for a few days.   When she finely found he got an earfull, I bet.    You can't blame Mary , for getting a little  upset.  I would of to if she was me!

This is... So, so blasphemous.

11 minutes ago, Nihil Obstat said:

This is... So, so blasphemous.

How so?

35 minutes ago, little2add said:

Wrong tread, the above was ment for " COULD MARY HAVE SINNED?" Tread

sorry

On 08/11/2015, 01:29:05, little2add said:

divorce was considered adultery, those guilty of adultery were stoned to death in Christ's  time

Divorce was fairly common and fairly easy. It was usually men dumping women, which raises its own wider reaching problems. I've read a fair few books where the writter has suggested these things may well have been why Jesus made it more difficult.

I don't think that relaxing the current rules, customs and laws will bring back masses of people to the pews. I hear this alot, and I can seewhy people may believe it, but there aren't really any other churches where such action has improved things. If anything it has accelerated decline, as some faithful people end up frustrated and seek out groups that match up with their expectations. This, in theory, shouldn't happen with Catholics but it does. In Latin America the biggest threat, alongside growing secularism and indifference, are the Evangelicals and similar Conservative sects. This could be a blip due to cultural shifts, a rush to the familar by a minority, that could decline as the decades roll, but it's a risky gamble when Catholic parishes are closing.

If things are required and need to change then it should happen with good reason, theological and with wide agreement, and not due to fads or cultural unease. However,  I doubt the places where decline is occuring the most, Europe and the US, will have the discipline and patience to abide with a rejection of reforms. The Anglicans got so desperate they ignored any sense of unity so that each province could push its own vision, even having parishes and dioceses within having different norms.  The same shouldn't happen with the core sense of Catholic unity rested with the Pope. But there has been talk of delegation and each conference addressing local needs. This sounds like talk that would allow multiple approaches across the world, even if they are in direct tension. I think, or fear, they are eyeing up the Anglican Communion as a model. I hope not.

7 hours ago, Benedictus said:

I don't think that relaxing the current rules, customs and laws will bring back masses of people to the pews

its not so much if change would bring people back, as it is getting them to stay and never leave. 

Edited by little2add

14 hours ago, little2add said:

its not so much if change would bring people back, as it is getting them to stay and never leave. 

CHURCH.GIF

They're never leaving :smile2:

In John 6, many people left Jesus due to His teaching on the Eucharist.  DId Jesus say, "Gee, maybe I'd better not tell the truth, otherwise I might lose people", or did He let them leave?

(1) Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying, (2) "The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son. (3) "And he sent out his slaves to call those who had been invited to the wedding feast, and they were unwilling to come. (4) "Again he sent out other slaves saying, 'Tell those who have been invited, "Behold, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and my fattened livestock are all butchered and everything is ready; come to the wedding feast."' (5) "But they paid no attention and went their way, one to his own farm, another to his business, (6) and the rest seized his slaves and mistreated them and killed them. (7) "But the king was enraged, and he sent his armies and destroyed those murderers and set their city on fire. (8) "Then he said to his slaves, 'The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy. (9) 'Go therefore to the main highways, and as many as you find there, invite to the wedding feast.' (10) "Those slaves went out into the streets and gathered together all they found, both evil and good; and the wedding hall was filled with dinner guests. (11) "But when the king came in to look over the dinner guests, he saw a man there who was not dressed in wedding clothes, (12) and he said to him, 'Friend, how did you come in here without wedding clothes?' And the man was speechless. (13) "Then the king said to the servants, 'Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' (14) "For many are called, but few are chosen."