An Old School Catholic Message Board

Parental Support

ForHimAlone

Do you parents support you vocation?  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not too sure. I think my dad would be fine with it. My mom is who scares me. This is random because my mom is the one who helped organize adoration in my parish (FOR VOCATIONS!!!). She's the one who will generally not miss Mass (my dad misses it more often than my mom). She's the one who made us do the chaplet of Divine Mercy novena before Divine Mercy Sunday and who had our house enthroned to the Sacred Heart. It's kind of like the "Not in my backyard" syndrome. She'll pray for it to happen in other families, but when it's me, she says, "But I want grandchildren...Aren't you going to get your PhD?...You're going to be a successful author and professor...Why can't you marry a cute Catholic guy?"

I'm going to revisit a community with whom I am seriously discerning in a month. I'm going to have to tell my parents something when I get back (yay or nay), and if it's a yay, I pray that my mom will be open to it.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='jgirl' date='Dec 14 2004, 12:27 AM'] I'm not too sure. I think my dad would be fine with it. My mom is who scares me. This is random because my mom is the one who helped organize adoration in my parish (FOR VOCATIONS!!!). She's the one who will generally not miss Mass (my dad misses it more often than my mom). She's the one who made us do the chaplet of Divine Mercy novena before Divine Mercy Sunday and who had our house enthroned to the Sacred Heart. It's kind of like the "Not in my backyard" syndrome. She'll pray for it to happen in other families, but when it's me, she says, "But I want grandchildren...Aren't you going to get your PhD?...You're going to be a successful author and professor...Why can't you marry a cute Catholic guy?"

I'm going to revisit a community with whom I am seriously discerning in a month. I'm going to have to tell my parents something when I get back (yay or nay), and if it's a yay, I pray that my mom will be open to it. [/quote]
I'll pray for you too... I find that praying to Our Blessed Mother to pray for your mother can be very helpful in allowing the Holy Spirit to work through her...

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Dec 14 2004, 12:16 AM'] :sadder: My parents do not support my vocation it seems... My mother is most against it... I've been told, mostly because she feels like she is losing me... But she won't! :sadder: I feel torn between being His bride and my family... :sadder: [/quote]
I'm with you, Angela! :sadder:

I am so blessed to have two of the greatest parents in the world. I know they will support me in whatever vocation God calls me to, even if it means a sacrifice. Praying for y'all whose parents don't understand.

• 2 weeks later...
Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I do swear my mother is against my vocation! I am trying to arrange a visit with these wonderful Dominican Nuns, and she won't let me just go... <_<

KimberlyAnneImelda

Since my sister is a Sister my parents know how it is to "give up" their daughter. They, of course, have eventually accepted it, although we all do miss her a lot. My mom continually reminds me that she does not want another daughter to leave her. :( I don't think my dad would mind that much, although I'm much closer to my mom and it would mean a great deal to me if she would understand.

• 5 months later...

this is very old but i am gonna post anyways....

I put not sure. My dadd y thinks its awful and stupid and crazy and my mommy is like of course yes do it I am so happy you are gonna do it but..... just wait a while

catholicflower

[quote]this is very old but i am gonna post anyways....

I put not sure. My dadd y thinks its awful and stupid and crazy and my mommy is like of course yes do it I am so happy you are gonna do it but..... just wait a while [/quote]

I understand. I doubt my family will support me at all. My father is an athiest and does not uderstand my love of God or the Church. My 2 sisters arn't really Catholic anymore and me poor mom wants me to stay near her for the rest of her life (my parents are divorced so my mom is going to live a chaste single life the rest of her life---she's a true saint)

son_of_angels

I am a convert to Catholicism from an Baptist/Church of Christ family. Any time I even mention being a priest, they are completely mortified.
Moreover, my background limits me a bit. Heck I haven't even got the Nicene Creed fully memorized yet. I have never been an altar server, I did not know a thing about Catholicism till fifteen. It's rough.

I have been very blessed that my parents are as supportive as they are. My dad told me that I have his blessing whenever I decide to enter. Mom took a little more time, and was mainly concerned about me making the right decision, as it currently involves leaving in the middle of college. As for my extended family, they're either lapsed Catholics or atheists and think that everything I do is rather odd. ;)

ThyHolyLove

I'm glad this thread has been resurected, I think it's good to bond about this stuff. My mom has been very supportive, but she wanted me to finish college first. I only have one more year so that's okay with me! Even she is suuprised about how accepting she is hehehe! Before he died this year, my Dad was supportive as well. He told me that I had to do what would make me happy. I am so glad that I got his blessing before he died, it means the world to me.

FiatLux1860

[quote name='ForHimAlone' date='Dec 11 2004, 11:55 AM']I just wanted to see whose parents supported their vocation.  I'm having a hard time with this right now.  I've been seriously discerning the cloistered life for awhile, and my dad is completely against it.  He says he doesn't understand how Christ could break up a family like that with the limited visitations.  He says he doesn't understand the purpose of that kind of life and thinks that it's ridiculous.  I would never want to hurt him, but I feel within that this might be where I'm supposed to go.

What are your experiences or thoughts?
[right][snapback]445872[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, first of all, what comes to mind when I read the comment about Christ breaking up families is this:

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword. For I have come to set [i]a man 'against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one's enemies will be those of his household.'[/i] Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life wil lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." Matthew 10:34-39

I guess that may not sound like one of the more encouraging passages, but I think we can see that it holds true even today.

No one in my family is real wild about the idea of me becoming a cloistered contemplative nun. They keep trying to give me reasons why I shouldn't, they tell me I need more world experience so I can (as my mom put it) "see what it is you're throwing away."

All I know is that it's more important to do what Our Lord wants me to do, not what would be the [u]easiest[/u] thing to do for me or my family.

Edited by FiatLux1860

[quote name='FiatLux1860' date='Jun 20 2005, 09:50 PM']Well, first of all, what comes to mind when I read the comment about Christ breaking up families is this:

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword. For I have come to set [i]a man 'against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one's enemies will be those of his household.'[/i] Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life wil lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."              Matthew 10:34-39

I guess that may not sound like one of the more encouraging passages, but I think we can see that it holds true even today.

No one in my family is real wild about the idea of me becoming a cloistered contemplative nun. They keep trying to give me reasons why I shouldn't, they tell me I need more world experience so I can (as my mom put it) "see what it is you're throwing away."

All I know is that it's more important to do what Our Lord wants me to do, not what would be the [u]easiest[/u] thing to do for me or my family.
[right][snapback]617478[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

see what it is you are throwing away ... hmm.. where have i heard that before.. oh yeah from my dad and grandfather and one of my best friends.... I know how you feel sistah and you will definately be in my prayers

I haven't actually told my parents yet...I'll have to soon though because Ill be getting some info from a couple of monasteries over the next week or so. :)
I'm scared because dad was in the seminary before leaving to marry mum and I want to be SURE before I say anything. Also, what really makes it hard is that I think that I will need to leave the country...to enter the cloister. :blink:

Edited by memtherose

Sometimes they never accept it; remember Saint Francis.. His choice alienated hs father... and there are others...many others... As Jesus says, we are blessed if we leave father or mother for His sake. Not easy.... Blessings and prayers for all here.
[url="http://www.iol.ie/~anchorhold/"]http://www.iol.ie/~anchorhold/[/url]