An Old School Catholic Message Board

Parental Support

ForHimAlone

Do you parents support you vocation?  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My parents are very supportive. I can't say the same about everyone I know, but to have my immediate family approve is a bigger blessing than I could ask for.

• 2 weeks later...
ofpheritup

I am glad the apostles didn't feel that way.

My perspective is a little different I am 47 so my parents are not the issue. If I were younger and they were part of the process this is the only question I would need to answer.

Given a choice would I rather explain to my parents why I chose Jesus (religious life/seminary) over them or would I rather explain to Jesus why I chose my family and friends over Him?

When He calls you, there can be only one answer.

let_go_let_God

I don't really think my dad cares, but when I told my mom that I was considering the consicrated life for a while she told me I should get married, and now that I am heavily discerning the married life she says I should enter the consicrated life. I love my mom, and I think she'll support me in whatever I do, but I think she is becoming more and more open. I just think they don't want to think of "loosing" their only child to more than college right now.

God bless-
LGLG

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I wish my mom would let me drop outta college to enter the convent :( I know dad wouldn't care too much... he's the one who said at least a year...

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 2 2005, 06:25 AM']Given a choice would I rather explain to my parents why I chose Jesus (religious life/seminary) over them or would I rather explain to Jesus why I chose my family and friends over Him?

When He calls you, there can be only one answer.
[right][snapback]629925[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I know that some of you are torn between the religious life and your parents. I have to tell you though God has called you and has put a dream in your hearts. He did the same for your parents. They got to choose their life, now it is your turn.

While you of course you should be sensitive to what they are feeling you have to remember to whom your primary allegiance belongs to.

I told this story on another topic, can't remember which one.
I met a sister who came from a LARGE family all together there were 28 of them. She was told if she left to become a sister she would be dead to them. The day she left she placed a sympathy card on her bed for them. Since that time some have changed their minds, some have not.
This was some 22 years ago.

YOU NEED TO FOLLOW JESUS. There is a scripture that you don't usually see conncected to this topic but I think it still applies. IF YOU WOULD DENY ME IN FRONT OF MAN I WILL DENY YOU IN FRONT OF MY FATHER (I think I just paraphrased).

i dont know what to answer.. my parents are really indifferent. so does that qualify as a yes, or no, or not sure?

LiL Kat Said

i havn't talked to my parents about it. They still think it's weird that i go to church and they think i'm crazy b/c i go to mass on wednesday. and don't even get me started on how they act and the looks i get when i go to adoration randomly. haha *sigh* it's scarry and i don't think they'd like it AT all. :(
i think if i ever decide to enter then it'll just drop in on them like a bomb or something...it just scares me to think about it. :pinch:

All For Jesus

It's kind of hard for me to answer as well. For the past couple of years, I have been trying to discern my vocation. My parents seemed to be supportive. They allowed me to go on retreats at different convents.- But now, they don't seem to understand. My mother has decided that no one should decide to enter the convent until age 29 (I'm 18) and I tend to think that my dad might agree with her, as far as waiting until I'm older. My mother also doesn't like the idea of a vocation to the cloister either. (Right now, I'm leaning more toward a more active apostalate, but I am open to both) I'm heading off to college this fall, but I don't want to tell Jesus no if He calls me somewhere before I'm 29.

[quote name='All For Jesus' date='Jul 30 2005, 02:24 PM']It's kind of hard for me to answer as well.  For the past couple of years, I have been trying to discern my vocation.  My parents seemed to be supportive.  They allowed me to go on retreats at different convents.- But now, they don't seem to understand.  My mother has decided that no one should decide to enter the convent until age 29 (I'm 18) and I tend to think that my dad might agree with her, as far as waiting until I'm older.  My mother also doesn't like the idea of a vocation to the cloister either. (Right now, I'm leaning more toward a more active apostalate, but I am open to both) I'm heading off to college this fall, but I don't want to tell Jesus no if He calls me somewhere before I'm 29.
[right][snapback]664611[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, I still haven't told my parents :unsure: They have their hearts set on me becoming a human rights lawyer (which is what I used to want to do with my life.) If they do support me, it will only be after university, I feel. which I don't understand!!!! Mary didn't get a degree before having Jesus!!! She just said yes! So I would love to enter the cloister straight after high school (so, maybe next Janurary/February.)

The other problem is that where I feel I am called to enter, is on thje other side of the world!!!!

Ah well, mutual prayers as always....for everyone here!!!

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Jul 29 2005, 11:48 PM']my mom's excuse for not entering sooner:  "Times have changed"
[right][snapback]664922[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Okay I have a confession to make this one is going to be a little sarcastic. LITTLE ? :D:

Diapers change. Light bulbs change. Your toothbrush change. Your friends change. My weight THANKFULLY huge change (pun intended).

But GOD calling us to the religious life (in this case) ain't changing. He has been doing this the same way since he started making peeples.

The struggle you are going thru today 5, 10 20, 50 years from now others will be going thru the same struggle you are. Parents will always have an opinion. Keep in mind though that is all it is.

The expression TIMES HAVE CHANGED is so absolutely correct. I agree 100%. Did I just confuse someone? When It comes to things that humans control, then yes they do change.

But where God is in control no they do not change. If that were true this little nifty thing we got going on UH I THINK WE CALL IT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH would not exist today.

I am a parent I have a daughter she is 23. She has made decisions some good some bad some stupid. I have expressed my opinion when I have been asked and of course when I haven't been asked.

But there comes a point when I have to shut up back off and trust her no matter what I feel. It is her life not mine. She has to live it. I know this because she told me. :P: It made me angry when she said it, it hurt having to hear it. But it was the truth and something I needed to hear. I got over it. She is right if I don't agree with what she is doing then WHATEVER, it is her life.

Please pay attention to this I am saying it as an "old person." :blush:

FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS YOU WON'T BE HAPPY UNLESS YOU DO.

Should you honor and respect your parents? YES YES YES
However honoring and respecting does not mean living your life for them. God did not make you for that.

Your parents have chosen their lives you should have the right to do the same. I can not stress this enough.

Edited by ofpheritup

FlyLikeABird

Well, my folks support me but they still don't understand everything I'm going through. They keep trying to get me to move back home and live with them until I enter an order. :ohno: I have to explain to them every other time it's brought up that more and more communities would prefer that I live on my own before entering! Keep that in mind all of you, life experience is a great plus because you demonstrate that you have made an informed decision! :saint:

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Pretty much my whole family supports my Vocational Discernment to the Priesthood, and I'm the only Catholic :D:

[quote name='PadrePioOfPietrelcino' date='Aug 3 2005, 01:24 PM']Pretty much my whole family supports my Vocational Discernment to the Priesthood, and I'm the only Catholic  :D:
[right][snapback]669982[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

whoa! how did that happen? I'm really happy for you :D: