An Old School Catholic Message Board

Parental Support

ForHimAlone

Do you parents support you vocation?  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just wanted to see whose parents supported their vocation. I'm having a hard time with this right now. I've been seriously discerning the cloistered life for awhile, and my dad is completely against it. He says he doesn't understand how Christ could break up a family like that with the limited visitations. He says he doesn't understand the purpose of that kind of life and thinks that it's ridiculous. I would never want to hurt him, but I feel within that this might be where I'm supposed to go.

What are your experiences or thoughts?

daugher-of-Mary

My parents are pretty supportive, but like you, I feel called to cloister. I spend time with the Carmelites a few times a year, and every time I go to visit I can see my mom struggling..it breaks her heart to see me go. :sadder: My family is pretty tight, and my eventual entrance will be very, very difficult. I'm trusting good God to be my constant strength, because I can't do it on my own. A lot of cloistered Sisters I've talked to say they are closer to their families as nuns than they were still living at home.

I know my father would fully support me in whatever religious vocation i choose. He's all for God's will and orthodoxy. My mother is another story. She's got some beefs with the authority of the Church and the way that some Catholics conduct themselves. She is a parish nurse for both a Catholic parish and a Lutheran parish and sometimes i think she's more Lutheran than Catholic. She also wants a lot of grandchildren too. There was a while there that i believed that if i entered the seminary or monastic life, she would seriously rewrite her will and excommunicate me from the family. But lately i dont know. I think she's starting to think that the clergy could really be my vocation whether she likes it or not. We don't really talk about it but she's been reluctantly implying she's a lot more open to it lately. Blessed be God! I love her so much and wouldn't want to go against her. I certainly would if i felt the calling though. I have an amazing family that i think would ultimately be accepting of my vocation

el paz,

-Joe

I'm not sure exactly what my parents think. We don't talk about it at all. My family doesn't really talk about our feelings or anything deeper than surface level. I wish I knew what they thought.

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Dec 11 2004, 01:04 PM'] My parents are pretty supportive, but like you, I feel called to cloister. I spend time with the Carmelites a few times a year, and every time I go to visit I can see my mom struggling..it breaks her heart to see me go. :sadder: My family is pretty tight, and my eventual entrance will be very, very difficult. I'm trusting good God to be my constant strength, because I can't do it on my own. A lot of cloistered Sisters I've talked to say they are closer to their families as nuns than they were still living at home. [/quote]
That was really beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing. I, too, am feeling very drawn towards the Carmelite life, and nothing brings me greater joy than to think of living that life hidden in the wounds of Christ. I just don't know what to do about my father, though. But I know that as much distress as it may cause, if my life is meant to be at Carmel or another order it will be worth it.

daugher-of-Mary

[quote]That was really beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing. I, too, am feeling very drawn towards the Carmelite life, and nothing brings me greater joy than to think of living that life hidden in the wounds of Christ. I just don't know what to do about my father, though. But I know that as much distress as it may cause, if my life is meant to be at Carmel or another order it will be worth it. [/quote]

Praying for you and your dad especially! I know our Beloved will look after our families and overcome all oposition if it is His will...in the meantime, all this provides quite an opportunity for us to have something to offer Him!

I'm not really sure what my parents think, i have had some interesting conversations with my mom about it... kinda hinting at it... My principal told my mom that i would make a good religious. So that led to some conversations. Lately i think that she is more open to what ever God will for me. I really wish that I could talk about it more openly, but I really don't know what God is calling me to do.

peace of Jesus
Jessica

My grandma does, but my mother kind of does... when I told her I wasn't considering preist hood as much, she was happy, I haven't told her, that I think that is the main option...

Heck 1/2 of the tuituon in College! Who'd complain!

My mom is very supportive, though she told me she doesn't see me as a priest but more as a family man... I think I agree, but I have to be sure before I can move on to whatever God is calling me to.

[quote]My principal told my mom that i would make a good religious.[/quote]

My vocations director back home told me that the best parents would make the best religious and the best religious would make the best parents. I don't know. I thought that was kinda neat.

el paz,

-Joe

FaustinaVianney

My parents do not support a Relgious Life vocation at all, but they are non-Catholic, so one cannot completely blame them. I love my parents with all my heart and soul, but I cannot go against what I believe God is calling me to do. God needs me to do a certain job in life and that is what my goal is to do. God must come first.

I have the support of parents and most of the extended family as well. I'm blessed in that we already have a priest in the family - my uncle is a T.O.R. - so the usual unknowns and family fears were not a factor.

A few cousins who've left the faith think i'm nuts, but hey whadda they know ;)

My heart goes out to all who do not have family support. I admire the courage you show by continuing to discern.

My mother is pretty supportive of anything I feel God wants of me. She may not act like so at first, but she normally comes around, and now she is even practically encouraging me to become a sister! She really surprises me-- I don't know why though-- God always works things out. I firmly believe that if we have a true vocation, He will fix everything for us to obey Him; all we have to do is submit. It is so beautiful to watch Him work and see how He has ordered things for me. He is so amazing. :wub:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ
:sadder: My parents do not support my vocation it seems... My mother is most against it... I've been told, mostly because she feels like she is losing me... But she won't! :sadder: I feel torn between being His bride and my family... :sadder: