An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey, I'm New Here

Monica

Hey every1

i'm sorta new here!

a little bit about me...i'm 22, attend the University of Virginia, and i work as a kindergarten teacher half-time.

I grew up in a home where my parents, disatisfied with their "former" Baptist faith, went "denomination-shopping", and until i was about 5 we attended different denomination's churches, until finally settling in the Presbyterian one, partly because my uncle is a presbyterian pastor. ;)

In my teens i was very involved in my church and in Christian organizations. But in the last two years, i have grown increasingly unconfortable with my faith. at first i thought (when cracks started to appear in the Prsbyterian wall i had built around myself) maybe the presbyterian faith wasn't for me, though my parents thought this is a "stage". But other denominations seemed just as silly, just a whole bunch of hand-swaying and rock n' roll and superficial srrmons.

So i started reading the bible again (i had left it when i was 18) and cracks started to apear, many of those doctrinbes i knew so well seemed to be completely unscriptural! Finally i thought there must be a church closer to the one the apostles founded than Protestantism. So i went to a Greek Orthdox church and absolutely loved it. But my parents had a cow and begged me to at leats consider the Epicopalian churchj, the closest you can come to the orthodox church and still be protestant.

i am interested in the catholic faith. i want to learn more about it. It seems to me AND I HIGHLY DOUBT IT, but it seems that the catholic church may be the answer. MAY be.

I only ask you to remember that I'm still Protestant, and hoping that this is a "stage" in life. I don't want to convert, but i'll do whatever god asks me to. I am vaguely aware of some of the catholic faith, having met few catholics, and having grown up in an extremely anti-catholic home.

I don't want to be regarded as a "possible convert" you can throw long lectures about why i should convert to catholicism at. I am just interested, and hoping with all my heart that the catholic church is not the answer for me, because it woulkd cause a lot of family troubles.

Not trying to offend you people, this site looks great, just getting some facts straight. ;)

Thanks, God Bless,

Monica

cmotherofpirl

Dear Monica,

Welcome to phatmass.

We do provide detailed explanations of various topics, but don't let that scare you :)

After all we are talking 2000 years of knowledge, prayers, beliefs, and history.

WE do the explaining, God's in charge of conversions. :)

Have you read any C S Lewis?

Welcome Monica and God Bless!

If you have any questions about our faith just ask we will be more then willing to help you understand.

Welcome Monica!

If you have questions, feel free to ask. The Debate Table is a good place to start if you are looking for some hard core answers.

Lots of us here have been through a time in our lives similar to you. Including me. I grew up Methodist and I went through a time similar to what you described as far as questioning my faith. My mother also did not want me to become Catholic and begged me to be Episcopalian instead. Well, it didn't happen.

None of us here will be trying to "convert" you, because to convert one must find the Truth for themselves. We may try to lead you to the Truth, but we can't make you accept it.

Again, please ask lots of questions. There are a lot of very knowledgable people here who can recommend great sources of information.

Glad you are here!

hi! welcome!

now, onto why you should become Catholic...

lol j/k, no boring long lectures.

however, if u have any questions on any Catholic doctrines, if some prot or someone else has convinced u such and such of a Catholic doctrine is wrong, come here and ask us for an explanation. we'll be glad to do our best.

you must be really intuitive to see through the rock n roll emotion instead of spirit types of worship, i applaud u.

have fun on ur Spiritual Journey with God, whereever that might take u :) (hopefully to the Catholic Church, but u know...)

B)

Monica, no joke, God is asking you to convert.

Ask all the questions you want, and we have answers for you!

Actually, I'd love to start right off and tell you exactly what Peter Said in John 6: 68 Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.

And the words the Lord Spoke were this: 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.

56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him.

No Christian denomination can offer you what Christ Jesus COMMANDED us to do, except for the very first Christian Church; the Catholic Church.

And because outside the Catholic Church there exists no means by which one may attain Christs Body and Blood, therefore, Outside the Catholic Church there exists NO LIFE!

To whom can you go!

A very warm welcome to you Monica, and I do hope you take off your shoes and stay awhile. We are Phamily here, you know! ;)

God bless you and I look forward to your respose / questions!

Dear Monica,

Welcome to phatmass.

We do provide detailed explanations of various topics, but don't let that scare you :)

After all we are talking 2000 years of knowledge, prayers, beliefs, and history.

WE do the explaining, God's in charge of conversions. :)

Have you read any C S Lewis?

thanks cmotherofpirl!

I'll ask lots of questions that may sound stupid, please be patient with me!!

Having grown up in a pretty anti-catholic family and community, i am only beginning to discover a side of catholicism that was hidden to me... :)

In my senior year (at a Protestant high school) i do recall reading C.S. Lewi's MERE CHRISTIANITY, or something like that. We read a version that had little footnotes that said that some of the things he wrote he didn't mean, like when he talked about the Epicopalian hurch and hinted at catholicism. our teacher had us read the abreviated version.

C.S. Lewis was Anglican, and he was really good friends with our pal, J.R.R. Tolkien, who was a devout Catholic. I have a book of Tolkien's letters, and it is interesting to read their dialogue. I haven't been able to find a digital copy though.

cmotherofpirl

See if you can find the entire thing.

C.S Lewis was very close to Catholic doctrine

You see I refer to him here as "the great one" :)

I understand the Anti-catholic thing, my dear aunt was a baptist.

Edited by cmotherofpirl

None of us here will be trying to "convert" you, because to convert one must find the Truth for themselves.  We may try to lead you to the Truth, but we can't make you accept it. 

Thanks!

I asked you not to try to convert me because after looking at this forum and commenting to my parents on the phone that i'd sign up just to "see for myself" they begged me something like "Monica, be careful, be very careful, they'll try to convert you, they worship satan, if your uncle only knew..."

<_<

cmotherofpirl

mariel I don' th ink there is a digital copy, you gotta buy the book.

Put it on your Christmas list. :)

Tolkien is the Holy Grail :lol:

FRODO LIVES!!!