An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey, I'm New Here

Monica

cmotherofpirl

Ah, there are two sides to every story...

And I'm not possitive of our side.

Nonetheless, a Pope isn't the Church.  So if a Pope for example slitts the throats of all non-Catholics; that isn't a statement on what the Church teaches.  The Church clearly teaches that this is wrong!  So, one cannot assume what the Church teaches based on what EVEN the Pope may personally due.

We can drag up dirt on Luther, Calvin, Smyth, et al and make assumptions based on that, but that isn't fair.

A Church is as good as it's teachings, not it's people.  We are ALL sinners. 

But Christ promised that His ONE Church would have the guidance of the Spirit in ALL TRUTH.  And the Lord promised that "the gates of hell will not prevail against it".  Therefore, while the Church is made up of sinners, the Church will never officially TEACH in error on faith and morals.

I am.

Well, after looking at some of the other things on that website, I found out that the Catholic Church is working with the U.S. Government and major airlines to secretly spread chemicals across the United States, vaccinating the population without us knowing. As an airline employee myself, it even hits harder to home for me--I didn't know this!!! My Church AND my employer are involved in this secret conspiracy!

See what I mean about checking sources?

But the early Christians were read the Bible at mass.  In fact, if you attend Sunday mass, you will have "heard" the Bible in 3 years.  1 year if you attend daily mass.

but during the middle ages they only read it in latin. What good was that for ordinary people, who couldn't understand it??

You could go to mass every day during those times and never have heard a bible verse. <_<

cmotherofpirl

Jesus didn't write a book, he founded a Church.

Just because you didn't read Latin, didn't mean you didn't know all the Bible stories.

I don't mean to come off rude, but don't trust anything you read from Jack Chick (chick.com). There are so many lies it's almost laughable. I'm serious when I say this, but learning about Catholics by reading Chick, is like trying to learn about black people by listening to the KKK. You'll never get a fair or truthful perspective.

If you only learn one thing from phatmass, I hope it's this: check your sources. Before believing something regarding the Church, please be fair and read about what the Church teaches from the source.

The Catholic Catechism is available online several different places. Here's one:

http://www.nccbuscc.org/catechism/text/index.htm

God bless.

Thank you, dUST, but it's also on amazon and in lots of other places.

"The Secret History of the Jesuits," by Edmond Paris, is an excellently and fully documented treatise of the sins promoted by the Jesuits (the Society of Jesus, founded by Ignatius of Loyola). The Jesuits, being a militant branch of the Roman Catholic Church ("Catholic Church"), clearly reflects the intentions and nature of the Catholic Church as a whole, for was it not Christ Himself who said:

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them." (Matthew 7:15-20 nkjv)?

Truly so, can a "good" tree (the Catholic Church) bear bad fruit (the Jesuits)? No, for bad fruits (the Jesuits) are the product of bad trees (the Catholic Church) - and both shall be cast into the fire. "This book should be read by every Bible-believing Christian," and why? "The Bible says, 'My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.' (Hosea 4:6)."

(Publisher's Introduction).

I'll try to be fair with my sources, but i don't see anything wrong with this book that has lots of historical proof. ;)

but during the middle ages they only read it in latin. What good was that for ordinary people, who couldn't understand it??

You could go to mass every day during those times and never have heard a bible verse. <_<

I'm gonna try and find you some Sermons from the middle ages, so you can see how infused they are with the scriptures.

Jack Chick is the original catholic hater.

Just about anything you read there will be an outright lie or distortion.

In answer to that:

(from http://www.chick.com/information/religions...tholicism/#hate)

Does Jack Chick hate Catholics?

Quite the opposite. In the mid-1970's, when he first began to understand what Roman Catholicism really teaches, he knew it was unscriptural. He also knew that to speak out against it would be unpopular and hurt his publishing company.

After much prayer, he made the decision that, no matter what it cost him personally, he would publish the truth that Roman Catholicism is not Christian. He did it because he loves Catholics and wants them to be saved through faith in Jesus, not trusting in religious liturgy and sacraments. He paid a price for that decision in many ways, as priests and nuns entered Christian bookstores screaming and making a scene, demanding that the store owner not stock Chick tracts. Some "Christian" media have even refused to accept advertising from Chick Publications, fearing any "controversy" that might hurt their cash flow.

But God has been faithful (as He always is) and has protected Chick Publications over the years. Jack Chick has made it clear that if he had it to do over again, he wouldn't change a thing. The letters from so many Catholics who have read Chick's anti-Catholic material and have gotten saved carry one theme: "Thank you for loving us enough to tell us the truth!" Those precious people make it all worthwhile.

"catholics wish to conceal their corruption in order to keep their church going"

Don't worry, not dirrected at you...

In other words, we really do worship satan (at home say), but on the street corner, at Mass, with all our friends, and pretty much whenever we're not at home, we do good, pray to God, say we Love Jesus and all that jazz, just to throw people off, So that they'll join the Church and then secretly be able to worship Satan at home (like only 10% of the day - not counting sleep).!?

Oh, and we also designate "fake" converts like Scott Hahn, etc. so that they can pull fakeys by vigerously reading and studying the Bible in order to come up with defense for the lies that we proportadly produce.

And above that, we create THOUSAND page books like the Catechism which expressly describe what we "fake" believe, so that people can read it. But then, since it's "fake" then no non-Catholic will read it (following the Logic). And so really, only Catholics read what we "fake" believe, but since we already know it's "fake", then we don't need to read it.

Hmmm. This is getting complicated.

If I really worshipped Satan - or even just had a bad interpritation of Christianity, why would I try to get you to worship Satan, by telling you to read the Bible and Catechism. Why would I tell you I love Jesus!

If we "really" worshipped Statues and thought that Mary was like a goddess, then why do I tell you that I don't worship Statues and I know that Mary is a Human!

I'm just totally confused at that logic.

I'm glad you were too!

Like, my wife's cousin just "converted" away from the Catholic Church to some evangelical church (later on I found out they don't even believe in the Trinity). Anyway, we were debating, and he said, "you worship statues". I told him, no we don't! And I explained why we have statues etc. I even gave him Scripture supporting this practice (like the Surpent on a rod, for the Isrealites, and the Cherubim on the Arc, King Solomon's Temple, etc.). But he still didn't believe me when I told him that I don't worship statues.

Like he knows what I believe more than I do!

It's just frustrating.

Anyway... I count myself in good company!

They thought the Apostles were drunk! :lol:

(from http://www.chick.com/information/religions...tholicism/#hate)

Didn't Christianity consist of the Catholic Church for the first 1500 years?

No. While the Catholic Church was seeking to control the world through religion, true Christians were running for their lives from the Catholic holocaust that ran for centuries.

God has always had His people, faithful to Him and His Word. They had no part in the Roman Catholic Church. Through much of history, organized religion has hunted and slaughtered God's people. For an excellent overview of this, read the classic work, "The Trail of Blood," at one of these websites:

http://users.aol.com/libcfl/trail.htm

http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/rlist...blood/trail.htm

cmotherofpirl

There are many books that claim "historical proof" like the Davinci Code which said Jesus and Mary Magdelene was married. Jack Chick claims historical proof.

So do mormons.

There are people who clainm they have proof of aliens, that we didn't land on the moon, and the earth is flat.

Claiming and proving are too different things.

Catholics stick with reality.

Monica if you wanted to learn about medicine would you go to a witchdocter?

HArdly!

If you want to go about Catholics you go ask CATHOLICs.

My class reads lots of books by former catholics.

They decided to convert and can so give an accurate description of both "worlds".

Surely that counts. ;)

Monica do you think the Catholic Church would have lasted 2000 years, with people going to the lions and concentration camps to die for  it, if God wasn't protecting it?

People have died for all types of things ;)

And thousands of thousands of Protestants were burned at the stake by catholics. same thing, isn't it??

I'm just guessing here, but during the middle ages, Latin was a very common language, was it not? Even if it wasn't the popular language of the time, the use of a common language during mass would have been a lot more important back then, because the printing press wasn't invented yet--so one couldn't get a copy of the Bible from the corner store.

What would have been the alternative? To have every mass have a handful of interpretors repeating eveything that was said? If so, the potential of those interpretors messing up a translation would have been very high. That's why I think one language was decided on--to eliminate false translations and interpretations.

But again, I think Latin was a lot more common than you might think. In highschool, Latin was a foreign language elective choice--it can't be all that uncommon.

cmotherofpirl

Monica you can choose to believe Catholics about what we believe,or those people about what they think we believe.

Like I said previously,

would you go to a witchdocter or a practicing physican to learn about medicine?