An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey, I'm New Here

Monica

arm in the air .. Protestant now Catholic  :)

Peace of Christ, Ken

Another one??

Don't mind my questions, Ken, but I'm curious.

Were you forced to convert because you married a catholic?? Most of the Catholic converts i know converted because of that!

No offense! :)

Welcome Monica, I'm glad you came to this site...It's a good place to stimulate your brain and enrich your spirit...      God Bless You and hope you enjoy. :rolleyes:

suSi

AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!

MOM!!! Please start using your own login name. Don't make me come over there.

Monica, that site you posted puts our pope in quotes! Ridiculous!

Here's the quote: "There he met the "Holy Father" for a few seconds and the next day went to a chapel for mass with the pope."

Monica,

The link you provided regarding Scott Hahn was one man's commentary on his "lost soul". The link cmom provided was one that contains actual writings and audio from Scott Hahn himself. Why go to third party sources on everything instead of the source itself? I really don't understand.

OK thanks, i was just wondering.

Here i the story (first hand) of an ex-catholic priest.

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/priest.htm

That "anti-Scott Hahn" site is wacked . . . this guy doesn't know what to believe . . . he praises Justin Martyr and Irenaeus and other early Church fathers and uses them to "prove" sola scriptura . . . I wonder what he does with Justni Martyr saying that the bread and wine become the flesh and blood of Jesus and that we should make our hands like a throne receivng our King when we take the bread! Lol . .. that whole website is wacked . . . poor dude, he's so confused!

hyperdulia again

:lol: i love this thread and dUSt that my employer and my church line is the funniest thing i've ever heard.

hey guys, if the pope's the only catholic who worships the debil is it fair to say the rest of us do?

Please don't think i'm an ignorant fool.

I just really want to understand many things.

I may be ignorant. But I'm here to learn.

then you MUST stop pulling up sites owned by ex-Catholic, non-Catholic or otherwise.

Try to find a Catholic site, and then ask us a question about what we REALLY believe.

We will be here for years re-hatching all the same stuff for not. These are just either confused or lying people.

Please please. Use the Catechism link posted and then ask a question about what we really teach.

Ex Catholics will only tell you what they "think" we teach (otherwise, if they really knew, then they wouldn't be "ex"). ;)

Trying To Earn Salvation I left my family and friends in 1956 to join the Dominican Order. I spent eight years studying what it is to be a monk, the traditions of the Church, philosophy, the theology of Thomas Aquinas, and some of the Bible from a Catholic standpoint. Whatever personal faith I had was institutionalized and ritualized in the Dominican religious system. Obedience to the law, both Church and Dominican, was put before me as the means of sanctification. I often spoke to Ambrose Duffy, our Master of Students, about the law being the means of becoming holy. In addition to becoming "holy," I wanted also to be sure of eternal salvation. I memorized part of the teaching of Pope Pius XII in which he said, "...the salvation of many depends on the prayers and sacrifices of the mystical body of Christ offered for this intention." This idea of gaining salvation through suffering and prayer is also the basic message of Fatima and Lourdes, and I sought to win my own salvation as well as the salvation of others by such suffering and prayer.

In the Dominican monastery in Tallaght, Dublin, I performed many difficult feats to win souls, such as taking cold showers in the middle of winter and beating my back with a small steel chain. The Master of Students knew what I was doing, his own austere life being part of the inspiration that I had received from the Pope's words. With rigor and determination, I studied, prayed, did penance, tried to keep the Ten Commandments and the multitude of Dominican rules and traditions.

Outward Pomp -- Inner Emptiness

Then in 1963 at the age of twenty-five I was ordained a Roman Catholic priest and went on to finish my course of studies of Thomas Aquinas at The Angelicum University in Rome. But there I had difficulty with both the outward pomp and the inner emptiness. Over the years I had formed, from pictures and books, pictures in my mind of the Holy See and the Holy City. Could this be the same city? At the Angelicum University I was also shocked that hundreds of others who poured into our morning classes seemed quite disinterested in theology. I noticed Time and Newsweek magazines being read during classes. Those who were interested in what was being taught seemed only to be looking for either degrees or positions within the Catholic Church in their homelands.

This is so silly . . . first of all, Dominicans are Friars, not monks . . . you'd think they'd teach you that at your "Dominican School." Second, Domincans live in Priories, not monasteries . . . didn't they teach him that? I can't find any record of a Fr. Ambrose Duffy anywhere . . . Second, he was in Rome at The Angelicum in 1963!!! Right in the Middle of the Second Vatican Council . . . wouldn't this be important to mention? I know 8 priests who were at the Angelicum at the same time and all they can talk about was the enthusiasm among students for learning Theology and trying to keep up with the Council. Half of them were serving as Perritti in the Council itself, helping Bishops from all over the world prepare their remarks.

This type of stuff is such a load of carp! I'm sorry, but you'd think if you were gonna make up some big Story about how you were a former Catholic priest you would at least be sure to get the facts straight.

Hi Monica;

Another one??

Don't mind my questions, Ken, but I'm curious.

Were you forced to convert because you married a catholic?? Most of the Catholic converts i know converted because of that!

No offense!

No, I came into the Church as a single father of two... and no offense taken what so ever :) , happy to be of help where I can. "forced to convert"?, no one is forced to anything however many come into the Church by way of marriage this is true. Being a convert, .. I know many other converts in my Parish and enjoy their company within different ministrys. Sue, a fellow convert I met was and remains single as well. (and no we're not denied marriage)

Peace of Christ, Ken

Ash Wednesday

*walks into this thread, jaw drops.*

*looks around and smiles*

I'm serious when I say this, but learning about Catholics by reading Chick, is like trying to learn about black people by listening to the KKK.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is one whopper of a thread.

And dUSt's MOM is even here!!! Whoa!

I don't really believe strict Fundamentalists and others like Chick to be "haters" of Catholics but... well ... I just love the Fulton Sheen quote in my signature.... I believe most of them to hate what they are mistaken about the Catholic Church. (Yes, some Christians out there have a great deal of hatred, but generally the ones with good hearts try to overcome that, like a fundamentalist friend of mine did.)

I think, and this goes for everyone involved Catholic or not, -- have patience, patience, and lots of prayer. Rome wasn't built in a day, ;) and oftentimes, mutual understanding will not come overnight, either. I see a lot of Catholic/Protestant debate dissolve into pointless bickering, when generally it's just good to take a breather and a prayer from time to time if need be.

Anyway, welcome to our little band of phat pholks, Monica. :)

Edited by Ash Wednesday

hyperdulia again

O beautiful flower of Carmel, most fruitful vine, splendor of Heavenn, holy and singular, who brought forth the son of God, still ever remaining a pure virgin assist us in our necessity! O Star of the Sea, help and protect us! Show us that you are our mother! ((pause and name petitions)

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do thou, O prince of the Hevenly hosts, by the Power of God, cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

Lord have mercy! Christ have mercy!

Hey Monica,

I'm a former Pentecostal. Actually, it wasn't till recently (like a month ago), that i learned I was baptized by a Catholic priest in a hospital. However since my family has somewhat strayed away from Catholicism (not totally though), I did not know of this.

Anyways, to make a long story short. Throughout my entire life, I was raised hearing about Jesus and all that, going to AOG churches and such. Then one day, my mom decided, when I was about 11 to 13, to start going to a Catholic Church (which was right behind our backyard).

We went to the Catholic Church Mass for 3 years, and I really enjoyed it. Even though I was rather ignorant to what it taught, it did seem Christian like all the others (of course), just more important and with more reverence.

Then we moved, we didn't go to another Catholic Church after that. We moved to North Carolina and signed up with a Pentecostal church. Things went very well at first, but due to some problems within the congregation and the control, we eventually left (and a couple others did as well).

So today, living in Virginia. At around my 16th birthday (which was this year, January), and when I went back to school again (I'm homeschooled), I was given a "Christian" history book, published by "A Beka". As I read along, I found a lot of weird claims that they made in the book. It was practically very Anti-Catholic and disgusting. So I got curious...

I asked questions with some of my family, went on the net and browsed Catholic websites, gathered information, and so forth. After a while, as I read what the Catholic Church taught and believed, it's history and magnificant preservation throughout the 2000 years it's been standing...I was amazed.

Oddly enough, some of the beliefs I already believed PRIOR to reading what Catholics believed. I really can't explain it...it was as if I was finding something that was hidden from me, that I desired all this time. Of course, I was hopping up and down when I was proving the history book wrong.

So, after months went by, I soon embraced what the Catholic Church taught. It took time though, since some doctrines at first, I didn't believe.

Please excuse some of my odd spelling and lack of description, not really in a "type a long post" mood, so I'm pretty much stumbling here.

So to put in short...

-Born Catholic (didn't know it)

-Raised mainly in a Protestant setting

-Read an Anti-Catholic history book

-Was curious, so read up on what Catholics believed, by Catholic sources

-Embraced Catholicism, and now found out I'm Catholic

...I know I could've worded this whole entire testimony better. But enjoy. :D

One more thing I'd like to add.

Jack Chick is nothing but a liar and hater. I once tried understanding Catholicism from his view, but it only confused me. That goes for others who proclaim lies and misconceptions about the Catholic Church and it's teachings.

If you want to know exactly what the Catholic Church teaches, go to a site that is definatly Catholic. Not testimonies by ex-Catholics or ex-Catholic priests.

Since for all we know, all of them are either...

A) Were raised or converted to Catholicism, yet were ignorant to what the Catholic Church taught.

B) They weren't Catholic in the first place, but claim to be an ex-Catholic, so they can make their lies credible.

...one way to know, is to compare what they say... with what the Catholic Church says. If they were speaking the truth, then their claims would fit what the Catholic Church taught.