Monica Posted October 31, 2003 Author Posted October 31, 2003 Please don't think i'm an ignorant fool. I just really want to understand many things. I may be ignorant. But I'm here to learn.
BLAZEr Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 That "anti-Scott Hahn" site is wacked . . . this guy doesn't know what to believe . . . he praises Justin Martyr and Irenaeus and other early Church fathers and uses them to "prove" sola scriptura . . . I wonder what he does with Justni Martyr saying that the bread and wine become the flesh and blood of Jesus and that we should make our hands like a throne receivng our King when we take the bread! Lol . .. that whole website is wacked . . . poor dude, he's so confused!
hyperdulia again Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 :lol: i love this thread and dUSt that my employer and my church line is the funniest thing i've ever heard. hey guys, if the pope's the only catholic who worships the debil is it fair to say the rest of us do?
Jake Huether Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 Please don't think i'm an ignorant fool. I just really want to understand many things. I may be ignorant. But I'm here to learn. then you MUST stop pulling up sites owned by ex-Catholic, non-Catholic or otherwise. Try to find a Catholic site, and then ask us a question about what we REALLY believe. We will be here for years re-hatching all the same stuff for not. These are just either confused or lying people. Please please. Use the Catechism link posted and then ask a question about what we really teach. Ex Catholics will only tell you what they "think" we teach (otherwise, if they really knew, then they wouldn't be "ex"). ;)
BLAZEr Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 Trying To Earn Salvation I left my family and friends in 1956 to join the Dominican Order. I spent eight years studying what it is to be a monk, the traditions of the Church, philosophy, the theology of Thomas Aquinas, and some of the Bible from a Catholic standpoint. Whatever personal faith I had was institutionalized and ritualized in the Dominican religious system. Obedience to the law, both Church and Dominican, was put before me as the means of sanctification. I often spoke to Ambrose Duffy, our Master of Students, about the law being the means of becoming holy. In addition to becoming "holy," I wanted also to be sure of eternal salvation. I memorized part of the teaching of Pope Pius XII in which he said, "...the salvation of many depends on the prayers and sacrifices of the mystical body of Christ offered for this intention." This idea of gaining salvation through suffering and prayer is also the basic message of Fatima and Lourdes, and I sought to win my own salvation as well as the salvation of others by such suffering and prayer. In the Dominican monastery in Tallaght, Dublin, I performed many difficult feats to win souls, such as taking cold showers in the middle of winter and beating my back with a small steel chain. The Master of Students knew what I was doing, his own austere life being part of the inspiration that I had received from the Pope's words. With rigor and determination, I studied, prayed, did penance, tried to keep the Ten Commandments and the multitude of Dominican rules and traditions. Outward Pomp -- Inner Emptiness Then in 1963 at the age of twenty-five I was ordained a Roman Catholic priest and went on to finish my course of studies of Thomas Aquinas at The Angelicum University in Rome. But there I had difficulty with both the outward pomp and the inner emptiness. Over the years I had formed, from pictures and books, pictures in my mind of the Holy See and the Holy City. Could this be the same city? At the Angelicum University I was also shocked that hundreds of others who poured into our morning classes seemed quite disinterested in theology. I noticed Time and Newsweek magazines being read during classes. Those who were interested in what was being taught seemed only to be looking for either degrees or positions within the Catholic Church in their homelands. This is so silly . . . first of all, Dominicans are Friars, not monks . . . you'd think they'd teach you that at your "Dominican School." Second, Domincans live in Priories, not monasteries . . . didn't they teach him that? I can't find any record of a Fr. Ambrose Duffy anywhere . . . Second, he was in Rome at The Angelicum in 1963!!! Right in the Middle of the Second Vatican Council . . . wouldn't this be important to mention? I know 8 priests who were at the Angelicum at the same time and all they can talk about was the enthusiasm among students for learning Theology and trying to keep up with the Council. Half of them were serving as Perritti in the Council itself, helping Bishops from all over the world prepare their remarks. This type of stuff is such a load of carp! I'm sorry, but you'd think if you were gonna make up some big Story about how you were a former Catholic priest you would at least be sure to get the facts straight.
KennC Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 Hi Monica; Another one?? Don't mind my questions, Ken, but I'm curious. Were you forced to convert because you married a catholic?? Most of the Catholic converts i know converted because of that! No offense! No, I came into the Church as a single father of two... and no offense taken what so ever , happy to be of help where I can. "forced to convert"?, no one is forced to anything however many come into the Church by way of marriage this is true. Being a convert, .. I know many other converts in my Parish and enjoy their company within different ministrys. Sue, a fellow convert I met was and remains single as well. (and no we're not denied marriage) Peace of Christ, Ken
Ash Wednesday Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 (edited) *walks into this thread, jaw drops.* *looks around and smiles* I'm serious when I say this, but learning about Catholics by reading Chick, is like trying to learn about black people by listening to the KKK. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: This is one whopper of a thread. And dUSt's MOM is even here!!! Whoa! I don't really believe strict Fundamentalists and others like Chick to be "haters" of Catholics but... well ... I just love the Fulton Sheen quote in my signature.... I believe most of them to hate what they are mistaken about the Catholic Church. (Yes, some Christians out there have a great deal of hatred, but generally the ones with good hearts try to overcome that, like a fundamentalist friend of mine did.) I think, and this goes for everyone involved Catholic or not, -- have patience, patience, and lots of prayer. Rome wasn't built in a day, and oftentimes, mutual understanding will not come overnight, either. I see a lot of Catholic/Protestant debate dissolve into pointless bickering, when generally it's just good to take a breather and a prayer from time to time if need be. Anyway, welcome to our little band of phat pholks, Monica. :) Edited October 31, 2003 by Ash Wednesday
hyperdulia again Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 O beautiful flower of Carmel, most fruitful vine, splendor of Heavenn, holy and singular, who brought forth the son of God, still ever remaining a pure virgin assist us in our necessity! O Star of the Sea, help and protect us! Show us that you are our mother! ((pause and name petitions) St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do thou, O prince of the Hevenly hosts, by the Power of God, cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen Lord have mercy! Christ have mercy!
Paladin D Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 Hey Monica, I'm a former Pentecostal. Actually, it wasn't till recently (like a month ago), that i learned I was baptized by a Catholic priest in a hospital. However since my family has somewhat strayed away from Catholicism (not totally though), I did not know of this. Anyways, to make a long story short. Throughout my entire life, I was raised hearing about Jesus and all that, going to AOG churches and such. Then one day, my mom decided, when I was about 11 to 13, to start going to a Catholic Church (which was right behind our backyard). We went to the Catholic Church Mass for 3 years, and I really enjoyed it. Even though I was rather ignorant to what it taught, it did seem Christian like all the others (of course), just more important and with more reverence. Then we moved, we didn't go to another Catholic Church after that. We moved to North Carolina and signed up with a Pentecostal church. Things went very well at first, but due to some problems within the congregation and the control, we eventually left (and a couple others did as well). So today, living in Virginia. At around my 16th birthday (which was this year, January), and when I went back to school again (I'm homeschooled), I was given a "Christian" history book, published by "A Beka". As I read along, I found a lot of weird claims that they made in the book. It was practically very Anti-Catholic and disgusting. So I got curious... I asked questions with some of my family, went on the net and browsed Catholic websites, gathered information, and so forth. After a while, as I read what the Catholic Church taught and believed, it's history and magnificant preservation throughout the 2000 years it's been standing...I was amazed. Oddly enough, some of the beliefs I already believed PRIOR to reading what Catholics believed. I really can't explain it...it was as if I was finding something that was hidden from me, that I desired all this time. Of course, I was hopping up and down when I was proving the history book wrong. So, after months went by, I soon embraced what the Catholic Church taught. It took time though, since some doctrines at first, I didn't believe. Please excuse some of my odd spelling and lack of description, not really in a "type a long post" mood, so I'm pretty much stumbling here. So to put in short... -Born Catholic (didn't know it) -Raised mainly in a Protestant setting -Read an Anti-Catholic history book -Was curious, so read up on what Catholics believed, by Catholic sources -Embraced Catholicism, and now found out I'm Catholic ...I know I could've worded this whole entire testimony better. But enjoy. :D
Paladin D Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 One more thing I'd like to add. Jack Chick is nothing but a liar and hater. I once tried understanding Catholicism from his view, but it only confused me. That goes for others who proclaim lies and misconceptions about the Catholic Church and it's teachings. If you want to know exactly what the Catholic Church teaches, go to a site that is definatly Catholic. Not testimonies by ex-Catholics or ex-Catholic priests. Since for all we know, all of them are either... A) Were raised or converted to Catholicism, yet were ignorant to what the Catholic Church taught. B) They weren't Catholic in the first place, but claim to be an ex-Catholic, so they can make their lies credible. ...one way to know, is to compare what they say... with what the Catholic Church says. If they were speaking the truth, then their claims would fit what the Catholic Church taught.
Monica Posted October 31, 2003 Author Posted October 31, 2003 Hi Monica; No, I came into the Church as a single father of two... and no offense taken what so ever , happy to be of help where I can. "forced to convert"?, no one is forced to anything however many come into the Church by way of marriage this is true. Being a convert, .. I know many other converts in my Parish and enjoy their company within different ministrys. Sue, a fellow convert I met was and remains single as well. (and no we're not denied marriage) Peace of Christ, Ken Wow Ken.... Now if you don't feel like answering that's OK, but why did you decide to convert? I mean, you were Protestant before, right?? :blink:
Norseman82 Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 Wow, I think this is the record for the longest "new member" thread!! Welcome, Monica. If you are looking for the Catholic side of things, you've come to the right place. There are links to the bible and catechism and other sources in "The Reading Room" that will give you the official Catholic teaching. Please doublecheck any non-Catholic accusations with these official sources; you will be surprised how biblical we really are! One thing regarding Latin at Mass. I've been to a Tridentine Latin Mass (the old style where the priest has his back to the people). The scripture readings were in English, so it is possible that in the middle ages the scripture readings were also in the vernacular (language of the people) as well.
M.SIGGA Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 Welcome to Phatmass Monica!!! I'm so happy you have come to this phorum; I''ve only been a member for a few weeks, but it is a really great place to talk and learn. I'm so happy you are willing to be an open book and learn about the Catholic faith. LOL!!!! but I cannot believe what I'm reading!!! I never thought in my lifetime that I would ever hear a defense of Jack Chick! I have a lot of Baptist and nondenominational friends and they even know those tracts are nonsense. I don't even know what to say!!!! I did see one post where you said Pius XII was a Nazi sympathizer; well it is a controversal topic, but just to let you know this great Pope saved 500,000 Roman Jews by hiding them behind the walls of the Vatican during the Nazi occupation of Rome, and he hid thousands of others behind monastery and convent walls in nuns and priests clothing throughout the Italian peninsula. He provided them false baptismal records so Nazis would be tricked into thinking they were Christian. The Chief Rabbi in Rome was so moved he publicly converted to Catholicism along with many other Jews throughout Europe b/c of the great works of Bl. Pius XII. And for the record, that Jesuit oath is probably fake like everything else on that website. There are million other websites to find out Catholic information; how in the world did you find that one?!?!?!?
Norseman82 Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 Welcome to Phatmass Monica!!! I'm so happy you have come to this phorum; I''ve only been a member for a few weeks, but it is a really great place to talk and learn. I'm so happy you are willing to be an open book and learn about the Catholic faith. LOL!!!! but I cannot believe what I'm reading!!! I never thought in my lifetime that I would ever hear a defense of Jack Chick! I have a lot of Baptist and nondenominational friends and they even know those tracts are nonsense. I don't even know what to say!!!! I did see one post where you said Pius XII was a Nazi sympathizer; well it is a controversal topic, but just to let you know this great Pope saved 500,000 Roman Jews by hiding them behind the walls of the Vatican during the Nazi occupation of Rome, and he hid thousands of others behind monastery and convent walls in nuns and priests clothing throughout the Italian peninsula. He provided them false baptismal records so Nazis would be tricked into thinking they were Christian. The Chief Rabbi in Rome was so moved he publicly converted to Catholicism along with many other Jews throughout Europe b/c of the great works of Bl. Pius XII. And for the record, that Jesuit oath is probably fake like everything else on that website. There are million other websites to find out Catholic information; how in the world did you find that one?!?!?!? In addition, it was because of the Pope that the western allies were first alerted of the Nazi holocaust in 1942. There is an author - his name begins with 'Ru' - maybe 'Ruyland'? - who wrote about this. From what I understand, a Polish priest smuggled word to the Vatican about what was going on in the concentration camps and the Pope addressed it in his Christmas message of 1941 or 1942. If anyone has this author's name and the book, please post the info.
littleflower+JMJ Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 hi monica!! im glad your here and i just want to say "stay" and make phatmass your home...your way of learning the truth about the Catholic church. and like everyone else said...please please please try to listen to exactly what the Church teaches....the only way you can learn about the CAtholic Church is asking and learning exactly from Her. and all those sources make me sad monica. they are not true. but many ppl think it is. and actually believe them. im very glad your here monica. you sound amesome. and i think thats so cool coming here to learn. all you need is the sincerity, the openess to truly listen and the want to learn the truth, along with prayer for guidance and you will be fine!! :D :D :D your sister in christ, flowery~ @)>~~~ welcome to the phatmass phamily and i hope you enjoy it here! :D
littleflower+JMJ Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 also you will come to find that all that what other non-catholics "think" and "say" what catholics believe in is not true. we have had several protestants come to phatmass and converse and ask questions and are utterly surprised by what the Church teaches. and you will see that here.....and from catholics. strong in faith and who know their faith. you will be surprised! i promise! you can read this...its a good start! PILLAR OF FIRE, PILLAR OF TRUTH i give you props monica because your doing what many others don't do....they don't ask us catholics what we believe in....and have a want try to understand/listen.... God bless you MOnica!! +JMJ
jmjtina Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 Greetings Monica, Welcome to the phamily!!!! I am also 22 and studing to be a teacher! B) I see you are asking, asking asking! B) That's what we are here for! So have you looked up any of the stuff I see fellow phatmassers have recommended? Cmoms link to Scott Hahns site? The Cathechism of the Catholic church and other links? Check out this Catholic Website: Catholic Answers they have ALOT of good stuff and you can listen to the radio shows too! It's from Catholics, and first hand sources. Trust me when i tell you, everything you are pulling up (links such as chick, etc) is so crooked and twisted about our faith that it would be funny if so many people didn't believe it, but they do. As dUST said, check your sources. My class reads lots of books by former catholics.It would be a good idea to read books from Catholics, if you want to know what we believe and teach. Primary sources hold the truth if you want to learn the truth. would you go to a witchdocter or a practicing physican to learn about medicine? I couldn't have said it better Cmom! Flowery is my little sister. So yes, it's a phamily affair!!!! dUST has his mom and brother here, there are wives and husbands here and all sorts of great ppl. Oh, and I got tickets to see LOTR: Trilogy. FRODO LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (but loses a finger!!!) Again, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!!!!
littleflower+JMJ Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 i also ask that if for every non-catholic book and/or you've read..that you read a Catholic book also. its only fair no? i know you will see that there are always two sides of coin. because there is. and reading that trash and garbage (such as those links you posted) is not going to get you anywhere.... +JMJ now don't get scared off now!!! your part of the phatmass phamily now monica!! :wub: +JMJ your sister in christ, Flowery~ @)>~~~
jmjtina Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 Oh, and God Bless you Monica for teaching Kindergarten!!!!!! I field based and student taught in the fourth grade and LOVED it!!!!! However, I can be put in any grade from 1-8. I give props for ALL teachers, but especially the kindergarten teachers!!!!!! B) God Bless you!!!!
littleflower+JMJ Posted October 31, 2003 Posted October 31, 2003 no offense, but how do you know that's the REAL scott hahn?? i've got GREAT NEWS! all this can be EASILY cleared up monica!! :D :D scott hahn's books all you have to do monica is read one of his books (or tapes/videos whatever you chose)...one that scott hahn wrote himself. you have to promise now!!! ya hear monica? its important!! i promise you'll like them!!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now