An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey, I'm New Here

Monica

Hi Monica;

No, I came into the Church as a single father of two... and no offense taken what so ever :) , happy to be of help where I can. "forced to convert"?, no one is forced to anything however many come into the Church by way of marriage this is true. Being a convert, .. I know many other converts in my Parish and enjoy their company within different ministrys. Sue, a fellow convert I met was and remains single as well. (and no we're not denied marriage)

Peace of Christ, Ken

Wow Ken....

Now if you don't feel like answering that's OK, but why did you decide to convert? I mean, you were Protestant before, right?? :blink:

Wow, I think this is the record for the longest "new member" thread!!

Welcome, Monica. If you are looking for the Catholic side of things, you've come to the right place. There are links to the bible and catechism and other sources in "The Reading Room" that will give you the official Catholic teaching. Please doublecheck any non-Catholic accusations with these official sources; you will be surprised how biblical we really are!

One thing regarding Latin at Mass. I've been to a Tridentine Latin Mass (the old style where the priest has his back to the people). The scripture readings were in English, so it is possible that in the middle ages the scripture readings were also in the vernacular (language of the people) as well.

Welcome to Phatmass Monica!!!

I'm so happy you have come to this phorum; I''ve only been a member for a few weeks, but it is a really great place to talk and learn. I'm so happy you are willing to be an open book and learn about the Catholic faith.

LOL!!!! but I cannot believe what I'm reading!!! I never thought in my lifetime that I would ever hear a defense of Jack Chick! I have a lot of Baptist and nondenominational friends and they even know those tracts are nonsense. I don't even know what to say!!!!

I did see one post where you said Pius XII was a Nazi sympathizer; well it is a controversal topic, but just to let you know this great Pope saved 500,000 Roman Jews by hiding them behind the walls of the Vatican during the Nazi occupation of Rome, and he hid thousands of others behind monastery and convent walls in nuns and priests clothing throughout the Italian peninsula. He provided them false baptismal records so Nazis would be tricked into thinking they were Christian. The Chief Rabbi in Rome was so moved he publicly converted to Catholicism along with many other Jews throughout Europe b/c of the great works of Bl. Pius XII.

And for the record, that Jesuit oath is probably fake like everything else on that website. There are million other websites to find out Catholic information; how in the world did you find that one?!?!?!?

Welcome to Phatmass Monica!!!

I'm so happy you have come to this phorum; I''ve only been a member for a few weeks, but it is a really great place to talk and learn. I'm so happy you are willing to be an open book and learn about the Catholic faith.

LOL!!!! but I cannot believe what I'm reading!!! I never thought in my lifetime that I would ever hear a defense of Jack Chick! I have a lot of Baptist and nondenominational friends and they even know those tracts are nonsense. I don't even know what to say!!!!

I did see one post where you said Pius XII was a Nazi sympathizer; well it is a controversal topic, but just to let you know this great Pope saved 500,000 Roman Jews by hiding them behind the walls of the Vatican during the Nazi occupation of Rome, and he hid thousands of others behind monastery and convent walls in nuns and priests clothing throughout the Italian peninsula. He provided them false baptismal records so Nazis would be tricked into thinking they were Christian. The Chief Rabbi in Rome was so moved he publicly converted to Catholicism along with many other Jews throughout Europe b/c of the great works of Bl. Pius XII.

And for the record, that Jesuit oath is probably fake like everything else on that website. There are million other websites to find out Catholic information; how in the world did you find that one?!?!?!?

In addition, it was because of the Pope that the western allies were first alerted of the Nazi holocaust in 1942. There is an author - his name begins with 'Ru' - maybe 'Ruyland'? - who wrote about this. From what I understand, a Polish priest smuggled word to the Vatican about what was going on in the concentration camps and the Pope addressed it in his Christmas message of 1941 or 1942. If anyone has this author's name and the book, please post the info.

littleflower+JMJ

hi monica!!

im glad your here and i just want to say "stay" and make phatmass your home...your way of learning the truth about the Catholic church.

and like everyone else said...please please please try to listen to exactly what the Church teaches....the only way you can learn about the CAtholic Church is asking and learning exactly from Her.

and all those sources make me sad monica. :( they are not true.

but many ppl think it is. and actually believe them.

im very glad your here monica. you sound amesome. and i think thats so cool coming here to learn. all you need is the sincerity, the openess to truly listen and the want to learn the truth, along with prayer for guidance and you will be fine!! :D :D :D

your sister in christ,

flowery~

@)>~~~

welcome to the phatmass phamily and i hope you enjoy it here! :D

littleflower+JMJ

also you will come to find that all that what other non-catholics "think" and "say" what catholics believe in is not true.

we have had several protestants come to phatmass and converse and ask questions and are utterly surprised by what the Church teaches.

and you will see that here.....and from catholics. strong in faith and who know their faith.

you will be surprised! i promise! ;):P

you can read this...its a good start!

PILLAR OF FIRE, PILLAR OF TRUTH

i give you props monica because your doing what many others don't do....they don't ask us catholics what we believe in....and have a want try to understand/listen....

God bless you MOnica!!

+JMJ

Greetings Monica,

Welcome to the phamily!!!!

I am also 22 and studing to be a teacher! B)

I see you are asking, asking asking! B) That's what we are here for! So have you looked up any of the stuff I see fellow phatmassers have recommended?

Cmoms link to Scott Hahns site?

The Cathechism of the Catholic church and other links?

Check out this Catholic Website: Catholic Answers

they have ALOT of good stuff and you can listen to the radio shows too! It's from Catholics, and first hand sources.

Trust me when i tell you, everything you are pulling up (links such as chick, etc) is so crooked and twisted about our faith that it would be funny if so many people didn't believe it, but they do. As dUST said, check your sources.

My class reads lots of books by former catholics.
It would be a good idea to read books from Catholics, if you want to know what we believe and teach. Primary sources hold the truth if you want to learn the truth.

would you go to a witchdocter or a practicing physican to learn about medicine?

I couldn't have said it better Cmom!

Flowery is my little sister. So yes, it's a phamily affair!!!! dUST has his mom and brother here, there are wives and husbands here and all sorts of great ppl.

Oh, and I got tickets to see LOTR: Trilogy.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (but loses a finger!!!) :lol:

Again, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!!!!

littleflower+JMJ

i also ask that if for every non-catholic book and/or you've read..that you read a Catholic book also.

its only fair no?

i know you will see that there are always two sides of coin. because there is.

and reading that trash and garbage (such as those links you posted) is not going to get you anywhere....

;)

+JMJ

now don't get scared off now!!!

your part of the phatmass phamily now monica!! :wub:

+JMJ

your sister in christ,

Flowery~

@)>~~~

Oh, and God Bless you Monica for teaching Kindergarten!!!!!! :P

I field based and student taught in the fourth grade and LOVED it!!!!!

However, I can be put in any grade from 1-8. I give props for ALL teachers, but especially the kindergarten teachers!!!!!! B)

God Bless you!!!!

littleflower+JMJ

no offense, but how do you know that's the REAL scott hahn??

i've got GREAT NEWS!

all this can be EASILY cleared up monica!! :D :D

scott hahn's books

all you have to do monica is read one of his books (or tapes/videos whatever you chose)...one that scott hahn wrote himself. you have to promise now!!! ya hear monica? its important!!

;) i promise you'll like them!!

Guest jrob8503

I read in some magazine that in the early 1800's, the Church proclaimed a doctrine which told Catholics only to eat licorice for breakfast.

Edited by jrob8503

cmotherofpirl

Oh, and I got tickets to see LOTR: Trilogy. 

FRODO LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (but loses a finger!!!) :lol:

Tickets - you got TICKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

will I fit in your backpack?

cmotherofpirl

I read in some magazine that in the early 1800's, the Church only allowed Catholics to eat licorice for breakfast.

I read that the earth was flat as well.

Do you believe everything you read, or do you check your sources?

littleflower+JMJ

when i weighed myself this morning the scale said that i weighed a hundred pounds lighter than what i really do.

and it had to be true!!! scales don't lie!!!

and i was happy cuz thats what the scale said...but i knew it was wrong because i didn't check to make sure the red meter line was even with the zero before i got on it...

:( and i checked...it was way off.... <_<