An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey, I'm New Here

Monica

But, oh well, I mean even Catholics have to get SOMETHING right somewhere along the way. Here is one exception. Maybe he was even saved, although he was a Catholic and devoted to Mary.

Monica... please remember your manners in the Catholic house.

Your story kind of sounds like Scott Hahns...

You'll need Real Player... (http://www.real.com/)

http://www.maxbrackett.com/Audio/ProtMinToCatholic.ra

God Bless, Your Servant in Christ,

ironmonk

littleflower+JMJ

But, oh well, I mean even Catholics have to get SOMETHING right somewhere along the way. Here is one exception. Maybe he was even saved, although he was a Catholic and devoted to Mary.

the Catholic Church got alot more things "right" than this monica.

alot more.

and its not an accident or coincidence.

when it comes to faith, the truth shall set you free.

;)

Monica... please remember your manners in the Catholic house.

I'm sorry ironmonk, i was just stating an opinion, and if i can't be honest, then it is of no help.

There is a difference between stating differences and stating opinions.

This isn't about your opinion vs. our opinion. It is about the Catholic faith and the Truth.

Peace.

There is a difference between stating differences and stating opinions.

This isn't about your opinion vs. our opinion.  It is about the Catholic faith and the Truth.

Peace.

So I guess that means that for me to be able to have an honest conversation being able to state my opinion, i first ahve to believe that the Catholic Church is the true church??

That may take a while.

God Bless

littleflower+JMJ

no. what she was trying to say was the Truth and the one true faith.

connect the dots. and you know what my answer is for that one.

and also that opinons don't hold water.

what matters is the the truth. thru history, thru the ECF, thru what God promised (mt 16:18)

meaning the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth! ;););)

:o can a city set upon a hill be hidden? i think not! (Mt 5:14)

i first ahve to believe that the Catholic Church is the true church??

That may take a while.

we got time.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

i think u just offended ppl by implying the low probability of someone devoted to Mary of getting into heaven. that was pretty rude, but if u actually think that, you really have no klue about Christ Jesus and His infinite mercy, and His love for His mother. you keep calling these things 'traditions of men' and i believe ure referring to that passage condemning ppl who teach 'traditions of men' as doctrine

u know, the only thing that makes the Bible authoritative is a 'tradition of men'

early Christian leaders came up with this idea that 27 of the hundreds of books floating around at the time were inspired by God. so really, u gotta reject the New Testament as a "tradition of men"

and u know, the only reason the other books made it in there was cuz some Jews got together a collection of writings of the Prophets and came up with the idea that they were inspired by God. so you kinda gotta reject the Old Testament as a tradition of man too....

u see my point? it's all traditions of men at some point, unless you believe the God can work through men. if you believe that God can work through men, then he worked through the prophets, the ppl who got together and collected the writings of the prophets, the Apostles and their successors writers of the New Testament, and through the early council of the Church to cannonize the Bible. so how come He didn't keep workin through the councils of the Church to recognize what the Bible actually teaches?

Jesus said to observe all he commanded us. He said that He had more to say, but the world could not bear it then. so He said, when the Spirit of Truth comes, He will lead you into all truth. the spirit of Truth came at pentacost, and will continue to lead us into all truth until the day of judgement, on that day we will have been prepared as a bride for his bridegroom, made perfectly ready for Christ to come and judge all mankind.

Monica,

On behalf of the clergy, welcome to Phatmass. I pray that God enlightens you with the wisdom and knowledge that your heart is seeking. I am excited for you, because I have walked a similar path. Much love.

Peace,

Fr. Pontifex

He came to us through Mary.

He still does.

Jesus Christ is the same, today, yesterday, tomorrow. (Hebrews).

"All generations shall call me blessed.."(Luke chapter one).

"Honor thy father and thy mother."

Jesus Christ was the perfect son.

"Behold Thy Son."

"Son, behold thy mother."

May she stand at the foot of your cross.

Maybe, Monica, you'll ask God someday what He thinks of St. Max being devoted to Mary?

And I echo Fr. Pontifex. May Our Lord enlighten you, Monica. I once had real problems with Mary most Holy.

But, oh well, I mean even Catholics have to get SOMETHING right somewhere along the way.

Again, It costs me a lot of effort and overstepping of pride to say this.

Monica, you sound just like Scott Hahn when you say that! When Hahn, a Calvinist Presbyterian pastor, began delving into Catholicism, the first doctrine that he discovered Catholics had gotten 'right,' his initial response (after the shock) was 'Well, even a blind hog stumbles upon an acorn once in awhile!' :lol:

His tapes are fun to listen to; he's a very energetic, dynamic kind of speaker. And he researches everything fully, so he gives a lot of interesting background.

Maybe he was even saved, although he was a Catholic and devoted to Mary.

Geesh, with strikes like that against him, I wonder if John the Evangelist was saved!

John 19: 27 From that hour the disciple took (Mary) into his own household. St. John was Catholic and devoted to Mary, too! ;)

Pax Christi. <><

i never said i approve.

i don't. I think it should be person ----->Jesus

not person ----->Mary------>Jesus

Hey, wait a minute.

No one has really cut to the point about this diagram.

It isn't person ------->Mary------->Jesus

Catholics don't believe in that AT ALL.

As if Mary is more than a "person".

You believe person------->Jesus.

Catholics believe that it can be...

Person------->another person (insert Mary, St. Max, St. Joseph, St. Paul, etc.)------->Jesus

So, really if you truncate the first person, it still is person------->Jesus.

Jesus is still the ONE mediator between God and man, you see! Mary is "man". All the Saints are "men". Their prayers AND ours must go through Jesus no matter what.

St. Paul always asked the Church to pray for him. It wasn't Me------->Jesus for Paul. For St. Paul it was Me------->and others ------->Jesus.

Hope that clarifies, in addition to what was already said.

Mary always points us to Her Son! But, she is only human (just in a much better place than us - i.e. heaven).