An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can Anyone help me

missionseeker

AlterDominicus

I love Latin, actually if I transfer to a private High School next year to the House of Formation, I'm going to take Sign Language in the community, and Latin for my junior and senior year.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Raphael' date='Oct 29 2005, 09:26 AM'][quote]fraudare[/quote]
to cheat, to deceive, to defraud

:)

The nominative form of a gerund is the infinitive of the verb. :)
[right][snapback]773421[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If I ever had a nemesis or arch-enemy on phatmass his sn would be, Fraudare_Dominum

hehehe :sweat:

missionseeker

Chapter Two
Sententiae Antiquae

1)Salve,O patria. Greetings(hello), O country(fatherland).

2)Fama volat. Fame flies.

3)Da veniam puellae. Give favor to the girls.

4)Clementia tua multas vitas conservat. Your clemency saves many lives.

5) Multam pecuniam deportat. He carries away much money.

6)Fortunam et vitam antiquae patria saepe laudas sed recusas. The fortunes and life of the ancient country you often praise but refuse.

7) Me vitare turbam iubes. You order me to avoid crowds.

8)Me philosophiae do. I give philosopy. ???

9)Philosophia est ars vitea. Philosophy is the art of life.

10)Sanam formam vitae tenete. The sound of life holds beauty. ??

11)Immodica ira creat insaniam. Excess anger creates insanity.

12) Debemus iram vitae. We owe life anger. ???

13) Nulla avarita sine poena est. No avarice is without punishment.

14) Me saevi catenis onerat. With cruel chains you oppress me.

15) Rotam fortunae non timent. They do not fear the wheel of fortune.

16) The girls save the poet's life. Puellae vitae poetae conservant.

17)Without philosophy fortune and money often go astray.
Sine philosophia, fortuna et pecunia saepe erro.

18)If your land is strong, nothing terrifies the sailors and you ought to praise your good fortune.
Sine patria tua valet, nuatae nihil terrent et debeo laudare bona fortuna tua.

19)We often see the penalty of anger. Saepe peonae irae videmus.

20) the ancient gate is large. Port antiqua magna est.

Chapter Two Parragraph. Catullus Bids his Girlfriend Farewell

Puella mea me non amat. Vale, puella! Catullus obdurat: poeta puellam non amat, formam puellae non laudat, puella rosas non dat, et puellam non basiat! Ira mea est magna! Obduro mea puella - sed sine te non veleo.

My girl does not love me. Farewell, girl! Catulls is tough: the poet does not love the girl, does not praise the beauty of the girl, does not give the girl roses, and does not kiss the girl! My anger is great!I am tough, my girl, but without you, I am not strong.

son_of_angels

That Latin book sounds like torture. I learned using Lingua Latina (per se illustrata), which had you learn Latin like you learned English. It is wonderful. It also makes one fairly conversational with the language, which means that all of us Latin students go around having conversations in semi-Classical Latin.

Valete!

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Nov 3 2005, 12:30 AM']Chapter Two
Sententiae Antiquae

1)Salve,O patria. Greetings(hello), O country(fatherland).
[color=red]That's good.[/color]
2)Fama volat. Fame flies.
[color=red]I think the side not here says to use "rumor" and so I could go with that.[/color]
3)Da veniam puellae.  Give favor to the girls.
[color=red]In this case, puellae is singular (dative).  :)  Unfortunately, it might be possible to say give the favor of the girl too because it works as a genetive.[/color][/quote][quote]4)Clementia tua multas vitas conservat. Your clemency saves many lives.
[color=red]Yep.[/color]
5) Multam pecuniam deportat. He carries away much money.
[color=red]That works too.[/color]
6)Fortunam et vitam antiquae patria saepe laudas sed recusas.      The fortunes and life of the ancient country you often praise but refuse.
[color=red]This is good, but you might also be able to get away with a different word order in English.  Also, I'm assuming that patriae is with an e in the book.  :)[/color][/quote][quote]7) Me vitare turbam iubes.  You order me to avoid crowds.
[color=red]Yep.[/color]
8)Me philosophiae do.  I give philosopy. ???
[color=red]Don't forget about the reflexive "me" which means to myself or you can say just myself.  It ends up meaning "I philosophize" in the end I believe.[/color]
9)Philosophia est ars vitea.  Philosophy is the art of life.
[color=red]Yep, though you mispelled vitae.  ;)[/color][/quote][quote]10)Sanam formam vitae tenete. The sound of life holds beauty.  ??
[color=red]I think we have a different version of the book because I have conservate instead of tenete, but either way the last verb is an imperative.  :)[/color]
11)Immodica ira creat insaniam.    Excess anger creates insanity.
[color=red]Yep.[/color]
12) Debemus iram vitae.  We owe life anger.  ???
[color=red]The last word here is vitare, which I think you'll recognize better.  ;)[/color][/quote][quote]13) Nulla avarita sine poena est.  No avarice is without punishment.
[color=red]Yep.[/color]
14) Me saevi catenis onerat.  With cruel chains you oppress me.
[color=red]Just remember savis has the s at the end.  Also, onerat is the third person singular, not the second.  :)[/color]
15) Rotam fortunae non timent.    They do not fear the wheel of fortune.
[color=red]Yep.[/color][/quote][quote]16) The girls save the poet's life.    Puellae vitae poetae conservant.
[color=red]Yep.[/color]
17)Without philosophy fortune and money often go astray.
Sine philosophia, fortuna et pecunia saepe erro.
[color=red]I think this ends with we often go astray and maybe even pay the penalty (poenas dare).  But I have a different edition, so I'm not sure...You might want to look again at the book.[/color]
18)If your land is strong, nothing terrifies the sailors and you ought to praise your good fortune.
Sine patria tua valet, nuatae nihil terrent et debeo laudare bona fortuna tua.
[color=red]Sine means without, you're looking for a word that means if.  Also you mispelled nautae and should actually be plural.  Nihil is singular and is the subject for terrere.  I also think that if you praise something it's in the accusative.  :)[/color][/quote][quote]19)We often see the penalty of anger.  Saepe peonae irae videmus.
[color=red]Anything you see should likewise be accusative.[/color]
20) the ancient gate is large.  Port antiqua magna est. [color=red]Yep, though you forgot an a.  ;)[/color]
Chapter Two Parragraph.    Catullus Bids his Girlfriend Farewell

Puella mea me non amat. Vale, puella! Catullus obdurat: poeta puellam non amat, formam puellae non laudat, puella rosas non dat, et puellam non basiat! Ira mea est magna! Obduro mea puella - sed sine te non veleo.

My girl does not love me. Farewell, girl! Catulls is tough: the poet does not love the girl, does not praise the beauty of the girl, does not give the girl roses, and does not kiss the girl! My anger is great!I am tough, my girl, but without you, I am not strong.
[right][snapback]777587[/snapback][/right]
[color=red]Yep.[/color][/quote]

Sounds good to me. :)

missionseeker

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='Nov 3 2005, 09:18 AM']That Latin book sounds like torture. 
[right][snapback]777710[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:yes:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Nov 3 2005, 10:38 PM']:yes:
[right][snapback]778316[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:rolleyes: You youngin's need more difficult Latin.

You think Wheelock's is hard? :lol:

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:16 PM']I'm a beginner and the book (Wheelocks)doesn't have all the answers to the chapter exercises. So I was wondering if someone could tell me the answers so I know if I got them right. Is there anyone who can?
[right][snapback]772614[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hey! im using wheelocks too! latin 1?

missionseeker

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Nov 3 2005, 10:49 PM']hey! im using wheelocks too! latin 1?
[right][snapback]778328[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i guess. :idontknow: it's a first my mom just handed me the book.

the book is
harpercollins college outline
Wheelocks fifth ed.