An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can Anyone help me

missionseeker

I used Wheelock's. I actually thought it was a great text. It tells you what you need to know and let's you go do it. I think it would be hard to teach yourself from though. I think it is really designed for use in the classroom with a professor helping you through it.

missionseeker

Yes. I was never good at teaching myself anything.
Except music. I pretty much taught myself how to play the clarinet and recorder and lots more about playing piano than my teacher EVER taught me. (She didn't even teach how to count and I had her for 7 years.)
And I'd like to learn guitar and violin and flute and harp and....

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Nov 13 2005, 12:00 AM']5)Fortuna adversa virum magnae sapientiae non teret.
He (she, it) is not terrified of fortune against a man af great wisdom.

Fortuna adversa is your subject.  Try it like that.
Fortune is not terrified against great men.

Ummm...no.

Fortuna adversa is the subject, terret is the verb, virum is the direct object, and magnae sapientiae refers to the type of virum..."a man of..."
Whoa! I wonder what the heck I was thinking/doing when I typed that. That was just plain stupid!  :blink:  :huh:  :o    :unsure:

FORTUNE AGAINST A MAN OF GREAT WISDOM IS NOT TERRIFIED. ?

As for that last clause, let's take a look:

sed pecunia multa viram avarum non satiat.

but money does not satisfy the greed of men.

I think you messed up the spelling a few times, so I'm not sure what you meant.  I would guess that it said, "sed pecunia multa virum avarum non satiat," since that's the closest in spelling.  In that case, you need to use the "multa" and the "avarum" modifies "virum".

yes. And I missed that word when I was typing.

But much money does not satisfy greedy men.

Not "greedy men"...virum avarum is singular.

:doh: BUT MUCH MONEY DOES NOT SATISFY A GREEDY MAN.
[right][snapback]786843[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

One of the problems is that you're trying to translate "terret" as passive ("terrified") rather than active ("terrifies"). It's an active verb.

• 3 weeks later...
missionseeker

I haven't given up my study of Latin or anything. If anyone is still interested in helping me out.

Fortuna adversa virum magnae sapientiae non teret.
Fortune against a man of great wisdom terrifies not????????

What am I missing? What have I got a mental block on?

CHAPTER FOUR PRACTICE AND REVIEW

1) Otium est bonum, sed otium multorum virorum est parvum.
Leisure is good, but the leisure of many men is small.

2) Bella sunt mala et multa pericula habent.
Wars are evil and possess much danger. ??

3) Officium me de otio hodie vocat.
Work calls me from leisure today.

4) Pauci viri avari multas formas periculi in pecunia vident.
Few greedy men see the many forms of (?) danger in money. ?

5) Si multam pecuniam habetis, saepe non estis sine curis.
If you have much money, you are often without care. (or is it caution)

I will type in the rest when I can.

missionseeker

6)Puellae magistram de periculis sine mora monent.
The girls warn the mistress about the danger without delay. /??

7) O magnae poeta, sumus veri amici.
O great poet, we are true friends.

8) Amica agricolae portam videt.
The friend (f) sees the farmer's gate.

9) You are in great danger.
Es in magnum periculum.

10) My son's cares are often foolish.
Filius mea curum sunt saeps stulto.???

11) The daughters and sons of great men and women are not always great.
Filiae et filii mangi viri et muliorum non sunt magnam semper.

12) Without wisdom the sailors' good fortune is nothing.
Sine sapientia nautum magnarum fortunorum.

CHAPTER FOUR SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE

1) Fortuna est cacae.
Fortune is blind. Exactly how do you pronunce cacae?

2) Si pericula sunt vera, infortunatus es.
If we are true danger, you are unfortunate. ?

3) O amice, vir bonus es.
Friend, you are a good man.

4) Non bella est filium tui.
War is not the fame of your son. ???????

5) Errare est humanum.
To err is to be human.

6) Nihil est omino beatum.
Nothing is wholly(completely?) happy.

7) Remedium irae est mora.
The remedy for anger is delay.

8) Bonus Daphinis otium et vitam agricolae amat.
Good Daphinis loves the peace and life of the farmer.

9) Magistri pueris crustula saepe dant.
The small boys often give the teacher a cookie. ?

10) Amicam meam magis quam oculos meos amo.
I love mu friend more than my eyes. ?

11) Da mihi multa basia, mea bella puella.
Give to me many kisses my, my beautiful girl. ?

12) Officium vocat.
Duty calls.

13) Mali sunt in nostro numero et de exito bonorum virorum cogitant.
I'm not quite getting the whole of this one.

14) Bonos adiuvate; conservate populum Romanum.
Good Help; save the people of Rome.
]

• 2 months later...

I'll help. Are you using ecclesiastical pronunciation or classical? The classical pronunciation of cacae would be kah-kay (ay like eye).

9) "in" with accusative indicates motion towards or against, so with this you want to use the ablative.

10) try it again. cura (feminine) is the subject - you're going to make it plural. filius is going to go in the genitive, and stulta is going to have the same case and number as cura.

11) your subject is correct, but you need to remember that "of great men" is going to have both the adjective and the noun in the plural genitive. also, mulier is a third declension - mulierum. magna is going to be plural, referring back to the subject.

12) of "sailors' good fortune", which word is going to be genetive and which is going to be nominative?

I'll look at the rest of them tomorrow, if you want my help, but right now I'm going to bed.

Also, if you haven't noticed, if you want someone just to translate the sentences for you, it won't be me. :P:

I am going back though my wheelocke's as well. I am on chapter 14 (I made it to 28 in school) right now and lack some motivation going through it so perhaps we can help each other out! I will get to these tomorrow.

As a side note: there are optional self tutorial exercises in the back with the ansers in the following section.

missionseeker

[quote name='Tata126' date='Feb 22 2006, 01:08 AM']I'll help. Are you using ecclesiastical pronunciation or classical?  The classical pronunciation of cacae would be kah-kay (ay like eye).

9)  "in" with accusative indicates motion towards or against, so with this you want to use the ablative.

10) try it again.  cura (feminine) is the subject - you're going to make it plural.  filius is  going to go in the genitive, and stulta is going to have the same case and number as cura.

11)  your subject is correct, but you need to remember that "of great men" is going to have both the adjective and the noun in the plural genitive.  also, mulier is a third declension - mulierum.  magna is going to be plural, referring back to the subject.

12)  of "sailors' good fortune", which word is going to be genetive and which is going to be nominative?
I'll look at the rest of them tomorrow, if you want my help, but right now I'm going to bed.

Also, if you haven't noticed, if you want someone just to translate the sentences for you, it won't be me.  :P:
[right][snapback]894533[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No, I want to learn but am homeschooled and no one knows it at home so, I don't know if I'm right or wrong. My motto if someone is correcting something of mine- the redder the better. :D:

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Feb 22 2006, 01:24 AM']I am going back though my wheelocke's as well. I am on chapter 14 (I made it to 28 in school) right now and lack some motivation going through it so perhaps we can help each other out! I will get to these tomorrow.

As a side note: there are optional self tutorial exercises in the back with the ansers in the following section.
[right][snapback]894544[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I know the lack of motivation thing. I will do those but it easier for me to learn if I know what I did wrong, rather than if I just know that I am wrong.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• 3 months later...
missionseeker

Pauci viri veros amicos habent, et pauci sunt digni. Amicitia vera est preaclara, et
[i]Few men have true friends, and few are worthy. True friendship is remarkable, and[/i]

omnia preaclara sunt rara. Multi viri stulti de pecunia, semper cogitant, pauci de
[i]all remarkable things are rare. Many foolish men about money, they always think, [/i]

amicis, sed errant: possumus valere sine multa pecunia, sed sine amicitia non
[i]few about friends, but they err: you can be strong without much money, but [/i]

valemus et et vita est nihil.
[i]without friendship you are not strong and life is nothing. [/i]

I'm not right on multi viri stulti... but I'm not sure what it is.

14)Mali sunt in nostro numero et de exito bonorum virorum cogitant. Bonus
[i] They are evil in our numbers and destruction ??????????? Good[/i]

adiuvate; conservate populum Romanum.
[i]help, save the people of Rome. [/i]

I’m not getting something here. Not sure what I’m having a problem with or what I’m over looking or underlooking...

12)Infintus est numerus stultorum.
[i]There is an infinite number of geniuses.[/i]

missionseeker

Sorry My computer went crazy and kind of had a heart attack.

Edited by missionseeker

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1000354' date='Jun 8 2006, 10:47 AM']
Multi viri stulti de pecunia, semper cogitant, pauci de
[i]Many foolish men about money, they always think, [/i]

amicis, sed errant: possumus valere sine multa pecunia, sed sine amicitia non
[i]few about friends, but they err: you can be strong without much money, but [/i]

valemus et et vita est nihil.
[i]without friendship you are not strong and life is nothing. [/i][/quote]

Try "many foolish men [i]semper[/i] think [i]de pecunia semper[/i]..."

then when you get to possumus, make sure you check your person of the verb...you translated as second person instead of first. The same for valemus.

[quote]14)Mali sunt in nostro numero et de exito bonorum virorum cogitant. Bonus
[i] They are evil in our numbers and destruction ??????????? Good[/i]

adiuvate; conservate populum Romanum.
[i]help, save the people of Rome. [/i] [/quote]

Mali is substantive for "evil men" and numero is singular. You know the old phrase "in our number"? It basically means, "among us." For the de exito part, try reordering it to "cogitant de exito bonorum virorum," where "exitus" means end (or, in a sense, death).

As for the rest, you've lost me. It looks like Church Latin, but are you sure you haven't mistyped?

"Bonus adiuvat" would make much more sense. Like I said, it sounds like Church Latin...it has a funky round-about way of saying things.

[quote]
12)Infintus est numerus stultorum.
[i]There is an infinite number of geniuses.[/i]
[/quote]

For the sake of simplicity, "infinite is the number of geniuses" or "the number of geniuses is infinite" is better...it makes it simple and direct. Adding "there is" is unnecessary.

Edited by Raphael

[quote name='missionseeker' post='772614' date='Oct 27 2005, 10:16 PM']
I'm a beginner and the book (Wheelocks)doesn't have all the answers to the chapter exercises. So I was wondering if someone could tell me the answers so I know if I got them right. Is there anyone who can?
[/quote]

A bit late, but I think this will help.

[url="http://www.textkit.com/learn/ID/162/author_id/76/"]http://www.textkit.com/learn/ID/162/author_id/76/[/url]

Guest Petrock

I am new to this site, in fact this thread is what brought me here. I am studying Wheelock this summer in two courses. I will be covering the first twenty chapters of the book. As of now, I am in chapter 3 and will be starting chapter 4 tomorrow. Just wanted to let you know that there is another person going through the book, I'll see what I can do to help out with proofreading your assignments.