An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can Anyone help me

missionseeker

missionseeker

[quote name='Raphael' date='Nov 3 2005, 10:41 PM']:rolleyes: You youngin's need more difficult Latin.

You think Wheelock's is hard? :lol:
[right][snapback]778319[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

more confusing :wacko: than hard. but i have had a headache for four days and that doesn't help in any subject.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Nov 3 2005, 10:56 PM']more confusing  :wacko: than hard. but i have had a headache for four days and that doesn't help in any subject.
[right][snapback]778342[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
What's confusing you?

missionseeker

I know this sounds stupid but i'm not really sure what exactly it is that is confusing me. i think it has a lot to do with the i learn. like rather than someone who can be told to do this this and this to get that and then go do this this and this and get that, i have to watch someone do this this and this to get that and then i have to do this this and this while they're watching to correct me if i mess up. when i put it this way it sounds babyish but it's th e way i learn.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Nov 3 2005, 11:12 PM']I know this sounds stupid but i'm not really sure what exactly it is that is confusing me. i think it has a lot to do with the i learn. like rather than someone who can be told to do this this and this to get that and then go do this this and this and get that, i have to watch someone do this this and this to get that and then i have to do this this and this while they're watching to correct me if i mess up. when i put it this way it sounds babyish but it's th e way i learn.
[right][snapback]778363[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
No, you just learn through practice.

I'd be glad to be the person you observe if we weren't so far apart. :P:

missionseeker

[quote]In this case, puellae is singular (dative).    Unfortunately, it might be possible to say give the favor of the girl too because it works as a genetive.[/quote]

I had that and then I changed it. :doh:

[quote]This is good, but you might also be able to get away with a different word order in English.  Also, I'm assuming that patriae is with an e in the book. [/quote]
I thought so. And yes it has an e in the book. And on my paper.
I can't type. :ohno:

[quote]Don't forget about the reflexive "me" which means to myself or you can say just myself.  It ends up meaning "I philosophize" in the end I believe.[/quote]
Thanks.

[quote]Yep, though you mispelled vitae. [/quote]
I shall have to take up typing as well.

[quote]10)Sanam formam vitae tenete. The sound of life holds beauty.  ??
I think we have a different version of the book because I have conservate instead of tenete, but either way the last verb is an imperative.[/quote]
I have the fifth edition.
Hold the sound shape/form of life. ???
My book gives three or four definitions for the same word.
Fama-rumor report fame reputation
forma- form shape beuaty.

How do I know which defintion it wants. Besides context clues.

[quote]12) Debemus iram vitae.  We owe life anger.  ???
The last word here is vitare, which I think you'll recognize better.[/quote]

Oh, so it is . Oops. um To live we must anger??????????????????
I still don't think i got that one.

[quote]14) Me saevi catenis onerat.  With cruel chains you oppress me.
Just remember savis has the s at the end.  Also, onerat is the third person singular, not the second.[/quote]
So it's THEY oppress me?

[quote]17)Without philosophy fortune and money often go astray.
Sine philosophia, fortuna et pecunia saepe erro.
I think this ends with we often go astray and maybe even pay the penalty (poenas dare).  But I have a different edition, so I'm not sure...You might want to look again at the book.[/quote]

this is what my book has.

[quote]18)If your land is strong, nothing terrifies the sailors and you ought to praise your good fortune.
Sine patria tua valet, nuatae nihil terrent et debeo laudare bona fortuna tua.
Sine means without, you're looking for a word that means if.  Also you mispelled nautae and should actually be plural.  Nihil is singular and is the subject for terrere.  I also think that if you praise something it's in the accusative.[/quote]
I thought accusitive was for direct objects, not verbs though.
Si.
i should not do this so late.

Si patria tua valet,nihil nautis(?) terrent et debeo bona fortuna tua laudas.

[quote]20) the ancient gate is large.  Port antiqua magna est. Yep, though you forgot an a.  [/quote]

Do you see a recurring theme here.? lol

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote]Don't forget about the reflexive "me" which means to myself or you can say just myself.  It ends up meaning "I philosophize" in the end I believe.[/quote]

Actually, the philosophiae is a dative, the me is an accusative. Try translating it verb-accusative-dative.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Nov 3 2005, 11:26 PM']give me philosophy?
[right][snapback]778379[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol:

No, that would make the "do" an imperative (it would have to be "da") and the "me" a dative (it would have to be "mihi") and the "philosophiae" an accusative (it would have to be "philosophiam").

Give me philosophy-Da mihi philosophiam.

On the contrary,

Me philosophiae do.

Do me philosophiae.

verb-accusative (reflexive, like qfnol31 said, "myself")-dative

I give myself to philosophy.

Another way of saying, "I'm devoted to philosophy."

missionseeker

CHAPTER THREE PRACTICE AND REVEIW

1)Filium nuatae in agris videmus. We see the son of the sailor in the field.

2)Pueris puellas hodie vocant. The boys call the girls today.

3) Sapientiam puellarum, filia mea, semper laudat.
We always praise the wisdom of the girls, my daughter.

4)Multi viri et feminae philosophiam antiquam laudant. Many men and women praise the ancient philosophy.

5) Si ira valet, mi fili, saepe erramus et poenas damus.
If anger is strong, my son, we often err and give punishment.

6) Fortuna viros magnos amat.
Fortune loves the great man.

7) Without a few friends, life is not strong.
Sine amici pauci, vitas valeo non est.

8)Today you have much fame in your country.
Multa fama tua patria hodie habes.

9)We see great fortune in your duaghter's lives, my friend.
Magna fortuna in tua filiae vitae videmus, mea amicus.

10) He always gives my boy and my girl money.
Semper mea puer et mea puella pecunia dat.

i'll post the Sententia Antiquae tomorrow or whenever the next time I come here is.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Nov 5 2005, 01:13 AM']CHAPTER THREE PRACTICE AND REVEIW

1)Filium n[color=red]au[/color]tae in agris videmus. We see the son of the sailor in the field.

[color=red]Switch the u and the a in your spelling of nautae.  Also, although "agris" technically means "fields," it came to mean "seas" as well, over time.  Don't forget that it's also plural.[/color]

2)Pueris puellas hodie vocant. The boys call the girls today.

[color=red]The sentence makes no sense in Latin.  If "pueris" is supposed to be "pueri" then you're fine.[/color]

3) Sapientiam puellarum, filia mea, semper laudat.
We always praise the wisdom of the girls, my daughter.

[color=red]Where did you get "we"?  It's a third person singular ending.  Also, just for the sake of the clarity of the English, I would say "of girls" not "of the girls".[/color]

4)Multi viri et feminae philosophiam antiquam laudant. Many men and women praise the ancient philosophy.

[color=red]Good.[/color]

5) Si ira valet, mi fili, saepe erramus et poenas damus.
If anger is strong, my son, we often err and give punishment.

[color=red]Good.[/color]

6) Fortuna viros magnos amat.
Fortune loves the great man.

[color=red]"Viros magnos" is plural, not singular.[/color]

7) Without a few friends, life is not strong.
Sine amici pauci, vitas valeo non est.

[color=red]Sine takes the ablative case.  In this situation, you would want the ablative plural for "amici pauci".  Also, "vita" should be nominative (it's the subject of a clause) and "valeo" should be third person (because "vita" is the subject, not "I").  Make these changes and remove the "est".  Oh...and change the position of the non...not proper to have it at the end of a clause.[/color]

8)Today you have much fame in your country.
Multa fama tua patria hodie habes.

[color=red]"Hodie habes" is fine, but the rest needs to change.  "Much fame" needs to be accusative and "your country" needs to be ablative, preceded by "in".[/color]

9)We see great fortune in your duaghter's lives, my friend.
Magna fortuna in tua filiae vitae videmus, mea amicus.

[color=red]Okay...let's try to parse the sentence in English.

The clearest way to say it is:

We see great fortune in the lives of your daughters, my friend.

(I assume that it's daughters' and not daughter's, since one daughter does not have multiple lives.)

So you need "videmus" and you have it...good.

But what do they see?  They see "great fortune," so it needs to be accusative (because it's the object of their seeing).

Then you need "in the lives"...that means that "vita" needs to be ablative plural.

Then you need "of your daughters"...now, "of the daughters" would be "filia" in the plural genative.  Therefore, "tua" must also be in the plural genative.

Finally, we don't know the gender of the friend.  In any event, it could only be "mea amica" for a female friend or "mi amice" for a male friend.  "Mea amicus" is a female adjective with a male noun...doesn't work.[/color]

10) He always gives my boy and my girl money.
Semper mea puer et mea puella pecunia dat.
i'll post the Sententia Antiquae tomorrow or whenever the next time I come here is.

[color=red]Let's parse this one, too.

First, we rephrase it into the clearest English:

He gives money to my girl and my boy, always.

"He gives"...dat...good.

"money" here is the object because it's what is given, so pecunia needs to be accusative.

"my girl" and "my boy" are indirect objects, so they need to be in the dative case.

Also, "mea puer" is a feminine adjective and a masculine noun...doesn't work like that.

You want:  Dat + ["pecunia" in the accusative] + ["my girl" in the dative] + ["my boy" in the dative] + semper.  Then put the semper closer to the beginning of the sentence, just for better flow.

[/color]
[right][snapback]779370[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Nov 5 2005, 07:35 PM']Poena dare is to pay the penalty, not give punishment.  :)  It's idiomatic.
[right][snapback]779749[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is true.

It's been a long time since I worked with such short phrases. :P: