An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cussing

JuCa

Cussing  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i just read the poll things...and i am extremely hickish... "it makes no difference" yeeehaawww..ha just a side comment

disregard this!

An extremly bad habit, but is usually contained until stuck in traffic on I-10. The rosary on the mirror is my only remedy.

Edited by M.SIGGA

I think our puritanical anti-catholic protestant culture has made cussing seem worse than it is. Obviously there needs to be respect and people should avoid being vulgar, but for the most part, who cares?

Edited by BLAZEr

BLAZEr...I'll agree with you for the most part...

Since, people find it offensive...I try not to use it. Although many times I do.. I try is the key word. That's why I try to care...

Answer by Fr.Stephen F. Torraco on 03-03-2001:

"One must distinguish between the use of such language for the purpose of cursing others and the use of such language to "let off steam." Cursing others is a serious evil, but the use of vulgar words to "let off steam" is not. The use of vulgar words may be uncharitable if used publicly, or a manifestation of the lack of the virtue of temperance. Of course, the use of the Lord's holy name, even to "let off steam," is a serious evil."

So I guess in private, as long as you don't curse someone to hell, or use the Lord's name, using bad words is not a sin. I guess it would also not be sin when one uses bad words around other people who don't care one way or the other. But using bad words publicly (ie - on this phorum, or around people who may be offended) is a sin, because of the lack of charity and virtue--where the sin committed would be the disregard or lack of respect for others.

"Entirely out of place is obscene, silly, and vulgar talk; but instead, let there be thanksgiving." - Ephesians 5:4

When people cuss usually they're unhappy about something, so since as Catholics we are to spread the light of Jesus I don't think cussing does that - AMDG! - and cussing doesn't seem AMDG to me...I don't get all hang up about people swearing once in a while depending on the greatness - like the f bomb is a lot worse than other words. I believe when people use vulgarity it demonstrates a weak mind, not able to share their thoughts constructively. Furthermore it is disrespectful to people around you who hear you and may be offended. Cussing isn't Catholic.

Let our words be for building up!

The use of vulgar words may be uncharitable if used publicly, or a manifestation of the lack of the virtue of temperance.

I'm sure that will be argued to death here. Repeated use of vulgarity diminshes one's standard of finding offense and lowers our expecation of 'good' behavior, thus raising our tolerance of offense and vulgarity.

In other words, it's a small thing, a minor matter, that contributes to an overall lessoning of charitiblity, kindness, and personal dignity.

Theologian in Training

It also depends on the context. If it is said when you are angry, stub your toe, or the like, it wasn't exactly intentional. However, if you use it as part of your everyday vocabulary, then it would be more intentional (sometimes), and I would suggest perhaps investing in a dictionary or a book to build vocabulary.

Personally, I find it rather childish hearing a grown adult string together all sorts of profanity in an effort to form a somewhat coherent sentence.

For the most part, and I would think this would be obvious, there really is no need to use those words. Besides, we only use those words the way we do because of the way we have learned to contextualize them. Even though, there are ways of being creative in saying another word in place of the actual word you want to say. Again, the need for a good dictionary or thesaurus ;)

Just my .02, of course.

God Bless