An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cussing

JuCa

Cussing  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

From my Examination of Conscience booklet

Under Venial Sins

2. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.

- Using the Lord's name Lightly, in suprise or in anger (habitual, not thinking)

-Cursing Thoughtlessly

-Using the names of Mary, a Saint, the Pope or other sacred persons irreverently

-etc

Text by: Fr. Robert Altier

Nihil Obstat: Richard J Schueler, Censor Deputatus

Imprimatur: Harry J Flynn, D. D., Archbishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis

Edited by peach_cube

Using the Lord's name in vain, however, is a sin.

Sorry for the confusion, but the booklet just lists things that would fall under that commandment. For instance, there is also a section under taking the Lord's name in vain that lists mortal sins that would be classified under that heading. So in this case it is just listing venial sins that woud fall under the heading of Taking the Lord's name in vain.

Again, sorry if I cased any confusion in the prior post.

Actually, I didn't even see that post, peach. I was just posting something I heard somewhere. I wasn't making any reference to your post. :)

-Mark

From my Examination of Conscience booklet

Under Venial Sins

2.  You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.

- Using the Lord's name Lightly, in suprise or in anger (habitual, not thinking)

-Cursing Thoughtlessly

-Using the names of Mary, a Saint, the Pope or other sacred persons irreverently

-etc

Text by: Fr. Robert Altier

Nihil Obstat: Richard J Schueler, Censor Deputatus

Imprimatur: Harry J Flynn, D. D., Archbishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis

I put a lot of thought into my cussing, so I guess is probabaly okay then

what about that scripture -I---Love and Mulls and them quoted? perverse toungue, foul language, stuff like that? alright, now i don't think a legistic condemning of certain words is in order. but condemning of a way of speaking is. you are not to speak in the evil ways of the world. i have a problem with ppl saying beaver dam, like beaver dam you! or somthin. cuas basically that means you want them to go to hell. ummm... speak in a way that glorifies God. don't swear, it sets a bad example. i used the f-bomb in English class accidently, yeah it wasn't very good cuz ppl assosiate me with being a "Mama's boy" with Mary as my shirt says and stuff like that. I don't like cussing when it is said in anger, cuz it's like saying "racca" to your brother, Jesus gave a harsh warning against that. and "racca" just means "you fool" but it's all context. if the context you use it in is to put others down, it's fould language, if it's used in anger against others, it's foul language and the cultural equivalent to a hebrew of Christ's time saying "you fool"

yeah Christ doesn't smile upon you when He hears you swear. persevere in virtue. if you're letting off steam, i guess it's not that bad but it's still foul language uttered in anger. why not just scream at the top of your lungs without words?

so, after much thought i have decided to vote neigh to cussing.

i hate it when people cuss.

sometimes it's just to describe something, u just know they're using it just because it's like an adjective.... :blink::blink::blink:

but i don't cuss, and i don't ever plan to get into it.

well....I used to cuss like a sailor ( yea I bet some of yall are thinking 'go figure' :P ) and then when I experience a renewal in my faith a few years ago, i decided the same mouth I received Jesus with is not a place for inpure language... It was really easier to give up cussing than i thought. Sometimes i still cuss though, but usually in spanish because it sounds funny ;) lol ~S.

• 3 weeks later...
Ash Wednesday

I used to be, as a friend put it -- "a hockey player"

My cursing has diminished over the years. Somewhat slowly and gradually. I guess I don't feel the same need to pepper my language like I used to. But when I get real angry and wound up I :irate: ... I'm asking God to help me out in that department, though.

From a younger age and on my dad told me once that damning people was a big no-no -- so telling someone "go to hell" or "beaver dam you" is a very terrible thing to say -- because it's as if you were wishing them to hell. (Except Satan. A priest told us once: "tell him to go to hell" -- he was dead serious though, as he'd had encounters with him before.)

I wouldn't say cussing is not a sin. Foul and vulgar language is contrary to holiness. My best friend cusses ALL THE TIME and it REALLY gets on my nerves. I don't find it to be very cool or attractive of a personality trait.