BLAZEr Posted December 7, 2003 Posted December 7, 2003 wow, all that thinking and you still came to teh wrong conclusion . . . amazing
VeraMaria Posted December 7, 2003 Posted December 7, 2003 i hate it when people cuss. sometimes it's just to describe something, u just know they're using it just because it's like an adjective.... but i don't cuss, and i don't ever plan to get into it.
Sammy Blaze Posted December 8, 2003 Posted December 8, 2003 well....I used to cuss like a sailor ( yea I bet some of yall are thinking 'go figure' ) and then when I experience a renewal in my faith a few years ago, i decided the same mouth I received Jesus with is not a place for inpure language... It was really easier to give up cussing than i thought. Sometimes i still cuss though, but usually in spanish because it sounds funny lol ~S.
Ash Wednesday Posted December 28, 2003 Posted December 28, 2003 I used to be, as a friend put it -- "a hockey player" My cursing has diminished over the years. Somewhat slowly and gradually. I guess I don't feel the same need to pepper my language like I used to. But when I get real angry and wound up I :irate: ... I'm asking God to help me out in that department, though. From a younger age and on my dad told me once that damning people was a big no-no -- so telling someone "go to hell" or "beaver dam you" is a very terrible thing to say -- because it's as if you were wishing them to hell. (Except Satan. A priest told us once: "tell him to go to hell" -- he was dead serious though, as he'd had encounters with him before.) I wouldn't say cussing is not a sin. Foul and vulgar language is contrary to holiness. My best friend cusses ALL THE TIME and it REALLY gets on my nerves. I don't find it to be very cool or attractive of a personality trait.
Paladin D Posted December 28, 2003 Posted December 28, 2003 You and I are on the same boat Ash. The only time I really cuss is when I get angry.
MrsFrozen Posted December 29, 2003 Posted December 29, 2003 I don't cuss because I don't think it's ladylike and it wouldn't set a good example for my son. My husband is in the military and doesn't cuss much around me, but I'm preety sure he cusses at work. It's the environment he's in and I don't really view it as a sin.
nippy316 Posted December 29, 2003 Posted December 29, 2003 I don't cuss. As theo said, I have a dictionary and it's well broken in.
~runnergurl~ Posted December 29, 2003 Posted December 29, 2003 If it comes out, it comes out. If it offends you, tell me, and I'll stop. That simple. Except EvErY other phrase that comes from this guy in my home ec class is "f- this sh-." Ugh. That and gd are too much to bear. Hmm why is beaver dam ok but carp isn't? Isn't beaver dam like..damning something which we all decided is bad? haha
~runnergurl~ Posted December 29, 2003 Posted December 29, 2003 Oh yeah..question- what if you do it in the presence of people you know don't care? Is that still against the official guidelines?
Sojourner Posted December 29, 2003 Posted December 29, 2003 I do cuss, but generally only around people I know don't care, or if I'm really angry or frustrated for some reason. My biggest problem with cussing -- aside from having a serious problem with taking the Lord's name or cursing a brother -- is that it's lazy. With the possible exception of hyper, most people resort to curse words or foul language instead of taking the time to express themselves more creatively.
PedroX Posted December 29, 2003 Posted December 29, 2003 Hyper, you're my hero! Sojourner, I can't believe that you didn't mention my cussing in you're post. I mostly cuss to amuse myself. Of course, as you're fond of saying, I'm not really that funny. . peace...
BLAZEr Posted December 29, 2003 Posted December 29, 2003 sometimes i gotta let out a good ole fashiones son of a beesh just to keep from going insane . . . Cussing is good for the Spirit, Prayer is good for the soul, Food is good for the Stomach and Heaven, my friends, is the goal . . .
Sojourner Posted December 29, 2003 Posted December 29, 2003 PedroX, I don't say you're not funny. I think you're very funny, as a matter of fact. Funny looking, that is .... :D With regard to your cussing, though, I can't say I've heard you be extraordinarily creative with it. You don't cuss much around me, so I guess I've put you in the camp of most people for whom cussing is pure laziness. I'm not saying you can't be creative with your cussing, just that I've never personally heard it. :cyclops:
Circle_Master Posted December 29, 2003 Posted December 29, 2003 (edited) I don't cuss because of the implications if I do. Most non-Christians consider it a curse, so to set an example, I do not. I don't see anything from Scripture saying it is wrong however, they are wrongs, and don't deal with God except for a few (which I would say are wrong). oh yeah, and my parents don't like it and they still have authority over me until the day I die (this one is a different discussion and no, it doesn't mean I obey them 100% until the day I die) Edited December 29, 2003 by Circle_Master
GodsThespianChic Posted December 29, 2003 Posted December 29, 2003 Bad habit for me...I admit it. But I never do it in front of kids!!! Ever! That is bad!! It doesn't bother me, hoestly, unless every other word is the F-word, or G.D. If someone says GD, I call them on it REAL fast. That bothers me BIG TIME!! Other than that, it really doesn't bother me... I don't cuss. As theo said, I have a dictionary and it's well broken in. Yes...nippy is in IB...she's smart...
traichuoi Posted December 29, 2003 Posted December 29, 2003 i cuss...no explanations... except...i only do it to let off steam and when it is the only appropriate word to use when saying a joke or describing something. :D
CICCIO Posted December 29, 2003 Posted December 29, 2003 (edited) Answer by Fr.Stephen F. Torraco on 03-03-2001: "One must distinguish between the use of such language for the purpose of cursing others and the use of such language to "let off steam." Cursing others is a serious evil, but the use of vulgar words to "let off steam" is not. The use of vulgar words may be uncharitable if used publicly, or a manifestation of the lack of the virtue of temperance. Of course, the use of the Lord's holy name, even to "let off steam," is a serious evil." I thiknk temperance should be stressed here, its not always necesary to use stong language, een to vent i would argue. I do thkn there are some cases in which stong language is helpful, venting is one, getting the attention of a group of unruley students in one clasroom (i've seen it, its very helpful. and strangely it seems to gain a teacher some respect, although for a short time. and i would encourage risking ones job over it), or to emphasise ones point (most certainly not at the expence of anothers character). You've jsut got to know how to use it. It takes finesse, its like getting a car to work by beating the block with a HUGE red-rubber mallet, it works just dont go crazy with it. :rolling: All im sayin is just take it easy, if its not necisary, why use it. I believe Jesus shrivled a fig tree for not producing any fruit (i can't recall where, it was probaly in Matt). I can see some symbolism in there that might be saying, if it is not fruitful, why keep it. Granted thats not the explanation Jesus followed up his action with, so i guess it wasnt too sound of an argument, perhaps i shouldnt have used it at all....ANYWAY! you get my point i presume. p.s. dont get me wrong, im not exactly supporing a utilitarian approach to life, especialy in respect to human life, which should never be valued in a utilitarian manner. But language is different, and if you dont need it, dont use it. And since stong language is rarely necissary, particularly cussing, dont use it. And when i do cuss, specificaly when venting, i worry that someone might hear me and be offended or that they might think something crazy is happening. I'd rather not wory or offend someone like that. (i am of a particular risk for being heard since i'm one of the loudest people i know. I'm Italian, i cant help it, lol) Edited December 29, 2003 by CICCIO
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now