hyperdulia again Posted December 6, 2003 Posted December 6, 2003 i cuss and i do it with a fluidity and style that would make sailors blush. i cuss when i'm happy. i cuss when i'm sad. sometimes when i'm bored i cuss as a means of entertaining myself. i say long cuss words. i say short cuss words. i try not to abuse people with my cussing and i try not cuss in front of those who i know will be offended by my cusssing, but if i had to stop cussing my vibrance, my passion, that part of me that makes me "me" would die.
hyperdulia again Posted December 6, 2003 Posted December 6, 2003 I think our puritanical anti-catholic protestant culture has made cussing seem worse than it is. Obviously there needs to be respect and people should avoid being vulgar, but for the most part, who cares? beaver dam straight.
Norseman82 Posted December 6, 2003 Posted December 6, 2003 (edited) Well, the way I was raised, the bad words were the ones either your parents or the nuns at school would give you a slap across the face for!!! (Well, not a literal slap - at least not for the nuns - but you get my drift). Seriously, what is difficult is that I could not find anything in the Catechism addressing this topic. But.........here is another verse from scripture. The NAB (1970 CCD edition) is blunt: Colossians 3:5-8 "Put to death whatever in your nature is rooted in earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evl desires, and that lust which is idolatry. These are the sins which provoke God's wrath. Your own conduct was once of this sort, when these sins were your very life. You must put that aside now: all the anger and quick temper, the malice, the insults, the foul language." (Emphasis mine). Another thing to consider: cussing is a habit that is picked up. If you have a problem with a "potty mouth", at least make an attempt to not cuss in the presence of children for fear of scandalizing them and having them pick up a bad habit. BTW, glad to see you're still with us Mulls. Edited December 6, 2003 by Norseman82
Norseman82 Posted December 6, 2003 Posted December 6, 2003 i cuss when i'm happy. i cuss when i'm sad. sometimes when i'm bored i cuss as a means of entertaining myself. i say long cuss words. i say short cuss words. You sound like you just saw "Cat in the Hat"!! :lol:
God Conquers Posted December 6, 2003 Posted December 6, 2003 I think as a society the "cuss" words have changed. Although my parents are no less holy than they were 10 yrs ago (on the contrary I say their devotion has increased) words which were unacceptable in our household have become less so, not because of moral laxity but because of societal change to bring them into mainstream.
God Conquers Posted December 6, 2003 Posted December 6, 2003 I think as a society the "cuss" words have changed. Although my parents are no less holy than they were 10 yrs ago (on the contrary I say their devotion has increased) words which were unacceptable in our household have become less so, not because of moral laxity but because of societal change to bring them into mainstream use.
jmjtina Posted December 6, 2003 Posted December 6, 2003 I tried cussing in 7th grade. My parents whooped me. I don't cuss. It's bad. You can get spanked. :lol:
God Conquers Posted December 7, 2003 Posted December 7, 2003 Wow, I got really potty mouthed in Junior High, but I got in trouble for it and stopped. Good ol' parental management.
M.SIGGA Posted December 7, 2003 Posted December 7, 2003 i cuss and i do it with a fluidity and style that would make sailors blush. i cuss when i'm happy. i cuss when i'm sad. sometimes when i'm bored i cuss as a means of entertaining myself. i say long cuss words. i say short cuss words. i try not to abuse people with my cussing and i try not cuss in front of those who i know will be offended by my cusssing, but if i had to stop cussing my vibrance, my passion, that part of me that makes me "me" would die. Lol. You are my hero.
Dave Posted December 7, 2003 Posted December 7, 2003 I tend to cuss when I get frustrated, angry, or upset. With me, it's usually "s--t," but also "beaver dam." And it really doesn't bother me when other people cuss unless they use such words every other word or unless they use the f-word. I must be honest and admit to saying it at times, but it's one word I really, I mean REALLY, try never to say. And while I can tolerate the word "beaver dam," G.D. I cannot.
Lounge Daddy Posted December 7, 2003 Posted December 7, 2003 I tried cussing in 7th grade. My parents whooped me. I don't cuss. It's bad. You can get spanked. :D :lol:
peach_cube Posted December 7, 2003 Posted December 7, 2003 (edited) From my Examination of Conscience booklet Under Venial Sins 2. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. - Using the Lord's name Lightly, in suprise or in anger (habitual, not thinking) -Cursing Thoughtlessly -Using the names of Mary, a Saint, the Pope or other sacred persons irreverently -etc Text by: Fr. Robert Altier Nihil Obstat: Richard J Schueler, Censor Deputatus Imprimatur: Harry J Flynn, D. D., Archbishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis Edited December 7, 2003 by peach_cube
geetarplayer Posted December 7, 2003 Posted December 7, 2003 It's not a sin to cuss. It's just immature. Using the Lord's name in vain, however, is a sin. -Mark
peach_cube Posted December 7, 2003 Posted December 7, 2003 Using the Lord's name in vain, however, is a sin. Sorry for the confusion, but the booklet just lists things that would fall under that commandment. For instance, there is also a section under taking the Lord's name in vain that lists mortal sins that would be classified under that heading. So in this case it is just listing venial sins that woud fall under the heading of Taking the Lord's name in vain. Again, sorry if I cased any confusion in the prior post.
geetarplayer Posted December 7, 2003 Posted December 7, 2003 Actually, I didn't even see that post, peach. I was just posting something I heard somewhere. I wasn't making any reference to your post. -Mark
BLAZEr Posted December 7, 2003 Posted December 7, 2003 From my Examination of Conscience booklet Under Venial Sins 2. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. - Using the Lord's name Lightly, in suprise or in anger (habitual, not thinking) -Cursing Thoughtlessly -Using the names of Mary, a Saint, the Pope or other sacred persons irreverently -etc Text by: Fr. Robert Altier Nihil Obstat: Richard J Schueler, Censor Deputatus Imprimatur: Harry J Flynn, D. D., Archbishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis I put a lot of thought into my cussing, so I guess is probabaly okay then
peach_cube Posted December 7, 2003 Posted December 7, 2003 I put a lot of thought into my cussing, so I guess is probabaly okay then :D :D
Aloysius Posted December 7, 2003 Posted December 7, 2003 what about that scripture -I---Love and Mulls and them quoted? perverse toungue, foul language, stuff like that? alright, now i don't think a legistic condemning of certain words is in order. but condemning of a way of speaking is. you are not to speak in the evil ways of the world. i have a problem with ppl saying beaver dam, like beaver dam you! or somthin. cuas basically that means you want them to go to hell. ummm... speak in a way that glorifies God. don't swear, it sets a bad example. i used the f-bomb in English class accidently, yeah it wasn't very good cuz ppl assosiate me with being a "Mama's boy" with Mary as my shirt says and stuff like that. I don't like cussing when it is said in anger, cuz it's like saying "racca" to your brother, Jesus gave a harsh warning against that. and "racca" just means "you fool" but it's all context. if the context you use it in is to put others down, it's fould language, if it's used in anger against others, it's foul language and the cultural equivalent to a hebrew of Christ's time saying "you fool" yeah Christ doesn't smile upon you when He hears you swear. persevere in virtue. if you're letting off steam, i guess it's not that bad but it's still foul language uttered in anger. why not just scream at the top of your lungs without words? so, after much thought i have decided to vote neigh to cussing.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now