An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cussing

JuCa

Cussing  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It also depends on the context. If it is said when you are angry, stub your toe, or the like, it wasn't exactly intentional.

That would be me 90% of the time.

So I guess in private, as long as you don't curse someone to hell, or use the Lord's name, using bad words is not a sin.

My dear departed father always said, “It’s not what you do… but how you do it.” ;)

What is important is tact.

"Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for edifying, as fits the occasion, that it may impart grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29

I guesss cussing is ok as long as it imparts grace!

However, I do not cuss, I never got the habit.

FaustinaVianney

I don't mind the cussing all that much, but I work with male collegiate athletes and they tend to cuss a lot. However, there are some of them that don't because it makes them uncomfortable because they think I've never heard it before and that I'm this all holy person! They have actually told me this. It's funny, but at least they aren't saying those things around me which means that's less often that they are offending God...

:):) :)

this makes it easy for me...

Proverbs 10:31

The mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom, but a perverse tongue will be cut out.

Proverbs 21:23

He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.

1 Peter 3:10

For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech.

James 3:9-10

With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.

hyperdulia again

i cuss and i do it with a fluidity and style that would make sailors blush.

i cuss when i'm happy. i cuss when i'm sad. sometimes when i'm bored i cuss as a means of entertaining myself.

i say long cuss words. i say short cuss words.

i try not to abuse people with my cussing and i try not cuss in front of those who i know will be offended by my cusssing, but if i had to stop cussing my vibrance, my passion, that part of me that makes me "me" would die.

hyperdulia again

I think our puritanical anti-catholic protestant culture has made cussing seem worse than it is.  Obviously there needs to be respect and people should avoid being vulgar, but for the most part, who cares?

beaver dam straight.

Well, the way I was raised, the bad words were the ones either your parents or the nuns at school would give you a slap across the face for!!!

(Well, not a literal slap - at least not for the nuns - but you get my drift).

Seriously, what is difficult is that I could not find anything in the Catechism addressing this topic. But.........here is another verse from scripture. The NAB (1970 CCD edition) is blunt:

Colossians 3:5-8 "Put to death whatever in your nature is rooted in earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evl desires, and that lust which is idolatry. These are the sins which provoke God's wrath. Your own conduct was once of this sort, when these sins were your very life. You must put that aside now: all the anger and quick temper, the malice, the insults, the foul language." (Emphasis mine).

Another thing to consider: cussing is a habit that is picked up. If you have a problem with a "potty mouth", at least make an attempt to not cuss in the presence of children for fear of scandalizing them and having them pick up a bad habit.

BTW, glad to see you're still with us Mulls.

Edited by Norseman82

i cuss when i'm happy. i cuss when i'm sad. sometimes when i'm bored i cuss as a means of entertaining myself.

You sound like you just saw "Cat in the Hat"!! :lol::lol: :lol:

I think as a society the "cuss" words have changed. Although my parents are no less holy than they were 10 yrs ago (on the contrary I say their devotion has increased) words which were unacceptable in our household have become less so, not because of moral laxity but because of societal change to bring them into mainstream.

I think as a society the "cuss" words have changed. Although my parents are no less holy than they were 10 yrs ago (on the contrary I say their devotion has increased) words which were unacceptable in our household have become less so, not because of moral laxity but because of societal change to bring them into mainstream use.

Wow, I got really potty mouthed in Junior High, but I got in trouble for it and stopped. Good ol' parental management.

i cuss and i do it with a fluidity and style that would make sailors blush.

i try not to abuse people with my cussing and i try not cuss in front of those who i know will be offended by my cusssing, but if i had to stop cussing my vibrance, my passion, that part of me that makes me "me" would die.

Lol. You are my hero.

I tend to cuss when I get frustrated, angry, or upset. With me, it's usually "s--t," but also "beaver dam." And it really doesn't bother me when other people cuss unless they use such words every other word or unless they use the f-word. I must be honest and admit to saying it at times, but it's one word I really, I mean REALLY, try never to say.

And while I can tolerate the word "beaver dam," G.D. I cannot.