Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cussing  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I don't think its horribly bad or wonderfully good. I think it's just distasteful at times.

Other views?

Posted

i just read the poll things...and i am extremely hickish... "it makes no difference" yeeehaawww..ha just a side comment

disregard this!

Posted (edited)

An extremly bad habit, but is usually contained until stuck in traffic on I-10. The rosary on the mirror is my only remedy.

Edited by M.SIGGA
Posted (edited)

I think our puritanical anti-catholic protestant culture has made cussing seem worse than it is. Obviously there needs to be respect and people should avoid being vulgar, but for the most part, who cares?

Edited by BLAZEr
Posted

BLAZEr...I'll agree with you for the most part...

Since, people find it offensive...I try not to use it. Although many times I do.. I try is the key word. That's why I try to care...

Posted

where's hyper?

Hyper?! Hyper!? Thread over here for ya!

It's a hell carp beaver dam fine one too.

Posted

carp? BOO!

Posted

I don't enjoy the use of cussing, but overall... I doesn't bother me much.

Posted

Cussing is a sin.

Be virtueous. Don't cuss.

Posted

Da "D" word isn't bad though, is it?

Posted

Answer by Fr.Stephen F. Torraco on 03-03-2001:

"One must distinguish between the use of such language for the purpose of cursing others and the use of such language to "let off steam." Cursing others is a serious evil, but the use of vulgar words to "let off steam" is not. The use of vulgar words may be uncharitable if used publicly, or a manifestation of the lack of the virtue of temperance. Of course, the use of the Lord's holy name, even to "let off steam," is a serious evil."

So I guess in private, as long as you don't curse someone to hell, or use the Lord's name, using bad words is not a sin. I guess it would also not be sin when one uses bad words around other people who don't care one way or the other. But using bad words publicly (ie - on this phorum, or around people who may be offended) is a sin, because of the lack of charity and virtue--where the sin committed would be the disregard or lack of respect for others.

Posted

"Entirely out of place is obscene, silly, and vulgar talk; but instead, let there be thanksgiving." - Ephesians 5:4

When people cuss usually they're unhappy about something, so since as Catholics we are to spread the light of Jesus I don't think cussing does that - AMDG! - and cussing doesn't seem AMDG to me...I don't get all hang up about people swearing once in a while depending on the greatness - like the f bomb is a lot worse than other words. I believe when people use vulgarity it demonstrates a weak mind, not able to share their thoughts constructively. Furthermore it is disrespectful to people around you who hear you and may be offended. Cussing isn't Catholic.

Let our words be for building up!

Posted

The use of vulgar words may be uncharitable if used publicly, or a manifestation of the lack of the virtue of temperance.

I'm sure that will be argued to death here. Repeated use of vulgarity diminshes one's standard of finding offense and lowers our expecation of 'good' behavior, thus raising our tolerance of offense and vulgarity.

In other words, it's a small thing, a minor matter, that contributes to an overall lessoning of charitiblity, kindness, and personal dignity.

Theologian in Training
Posted

It also depends on the context. If it is said when you are angry, stub your toe, or the like, it wasn't exactly intentional. However, if you use it as part of your everyday vocabulary, then it would be more intentional (sometimes), and I would suggest perhaps investing in a dictionary or a book to build vocabulary.

Personally, I find it rather childish hearing a grown adult string together all sorts of profanity in an effort to form a somewhat coherent sentence.

For the most part, and I would think this would be obvious, there really is no need to use those words. Besides, we only use those words the way we do because of the way we have learned to contextualize them. Even though, there are ways of being creative in saying another word in place of the actual word you want to say. Again, the need for a good dictionary or thesaurus ;)

Just my .02, of course.

God Bless

Posted

It also depends on the context. If it is said when you are angry, stub your toe, or the like, it wasn't exactly intentional.

That would be me 90% of the time.

Posted

So I guess in private, as long as you don't curse someone to hell, or use the Lord's name, using bad words is not a sin.

My dear departed father always said, “It’s not what you do… but how you do it.” ;)

What is important is tact.

Posted

"Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for edifying, as fits the occasion, that it may impart grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29

I guesss cussing is ok as long as it imparts grace!

However, I do not cuss, I never got the habit.

FaustinaVianney
Posted

I don't mind the cussing all that much, but I work with male collegiate athletes and they tend to cuss a lot. However, there are some of them that don't because it makes them uncomfortable because they think I've never heard it before and that I'm this all holy person! They have actually told me this. It's funny, but at least they aren't saying those things around me which means that's less often that they are offending God...

:):) :)

Posted

this makes it easy for me...

Proverbs 10:31

The mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom, but a perverse tongue will be cut out.

Proverbs 21:23

He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.

1 Peter 3:10

For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech.

James 3:9-10

With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...