An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do You Tell If A Shirt Is Too Tight?

Slappo

Ladies,
How do you tell when a shirt is too form fitting to wear? My girlfriend and I have trouble knowing how tight is too tight for her to dress modestly. It is harder to find modest clothes for well-endowed ladies :wacko:

tinytherese

In the words of famous chastity speaker Crystalina Evert, if you have to ask if something is too tight, too low cut, etc., then you've already answered your question. Often, if you feel that it isn't modest and you keep looking at yourself in the mirror and keep thinking that it is immodest then it probably is.

Edited by tinytherese

CatherineM

Too low if it shows [spoiler]cleavage[/spoiler], and too tight if it shows [spoiler]nipples[/spoiler] through the fabric.

Nihil Obstat

Modesty is a subject that I try not to get too deep into... :P Past the obvious surface stuff, I won't touch it with a 39 1/2 ft. pole. :P Way beyond me.

The way I look at it is the overall effect rather than the specifics. Clearly some things are fine in some situations, but not others. The obvious example is swimwear. Forget for a second that there's more and less modest swimwear, and remember that this is certainly as form fitting as anything can be. It's good for swimming. Not for going to school.

So there's situation, but then there's also intent, which goes hand in hand with the actual effect. Intent being whether or not the person is dressing to be noticed (and arouse, potentially) or whether they're dressing to be comfortable, to look respectable, etc, etc.

The effect is probably the really tricky part. There's a line between causing scandal, and the weakness of other people. Would it be right to say that girls should never show any of their bare leg in case someone had impure thoughts? I'd argue that no, that's not the correct view, but where's the line? I have no idea.

tinytherese

I'd also like to say to ask the opinions of modest minded people that you trust.

"Am I dressing with dignity with this shirt?"

HisChildForever

While it is great to encourage your girlfriend to dress modestly, be careful not to take it too far. You definitely do not want her to start thinking that you are scrutinizing her every outfit.

+J.M.J.+
how to tell if it's too tight across the boobs: the material stretches or ripples/bunches in the cleavage. that's my measurement for too tight

missionseeker

[quote name='Slappo' post='1860193' date='May 6 2009, 09:36 PM']Ladies,
How do you tell when a shirt is too form fitting to wear? My girlfriend and I have trouble knowing how tight is too tight for her to dress modestly. It is harder to find modest clothes for well-endowed ladies :wacko:[/quote]

yes it is. <_<

Peasant tops are sort of our friends. 'cept sometimes they just make us look pregnant. Empire waists work for dresses. A little bit of the same problem tough.

Go figure. (no pun intended)

I hate shopping. :mellow:

missionseeker

actually, modest clothes are not the issue. The issue is more that like 80% of clothing made for women is fitted there. And that doesn't work well. What's left, half is shabby and tent like.

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1860227' date='May 6 2009, 06:57 PM']In the words of famous chastity speaker Crystalina Evert, if you have to ask if something is too tight, too low cut, etc., then you've already answered your question. Often, if you feel that it isn't modest and you keep looking at yourself in the mirror and keep thinking that it is immodest then it probably is.[/quote]

Yeah the problem is when you have someone that has a super conservative mindset... I question to the point of whether or t-shirts that [b]only[/b] cover 2 inches past the shoulder are modest... :unsure:

95% of the time people questioning modesty are questioning things that are immodest.

Nihil Obstat

Is it immodest for me to be really really ridiculously good looking?
:detective:
Seriously, I wear a long coat and hat just so that I don't cause accidents when I walk down the street. Am I morally obligated to make myself look ugly?
People stare at me all day long because I'm just entrancing to look at. They may well be haing impure thoughts, but I just don't know what to do!

Now back to life in the real world. We apologize for this short interlude in the land of fantasy and outright delusion. Please enjoy the rest of your evening.

;) :))

Oh, and just for effect...
[img]http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/050114/17132__zoo_l.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1860242' date='May 6 2009, 07:07 PM']+J.M.J.+
how to tell if it's too tight across the boobs: the material stretches or ripples/bunches in the cleavage. that's my measurement for too tight[/quote]

That sounds like good measurement. I'll pass that on to my GF so she can check that. Depending on body shape it can be [b]really[/b] hard to find loose enough clothes across the chest for some women, and for others it isn't something they ever have to even think about.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1860231' date='May 6 2009, 08:01 PM']too tight if it shows [spoiler]nipples[/spoiler] through the fabric.[/quote]

It seems like some [spoiler]bra's[/spoiler] in themselves prevent that (although since I don't wear them....) so I guess that doesn't seem like a firm measurement. The same shirt could sometimes show and other times not depending what else is being worn.

HisChildForever

I hope that you dress as modestly as you expect your girlfriend to.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1860272' date='May 6 2009, 10:25 PM']I hope that you dress as modestly as you expect your girlfriend to.[/quote]
I'm sure he does. Look at that avatar picture!
(Edit; 4500 posts.)

Edited by Nihil Obstat