An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do You Tell If A Shirt Is Too Tight?

Slappo

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='May 7 2009, 01:51 PM' post='1860827']
So guess what I was wearing? A huge, over-sized college sweatshirt I had sunglasses on so the man did not even get a clear view of my face.
[quote]

that is gangsta dude....
was you packen heat ?

Edited by Guest

HisChildForever

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1860831' date='May 7 2009, 01:56 PM']that is gangsta dude....
did you have your seat leaned back ?[/quote]

Since when is a college sweatshirt and sunglasses "gangsta" ??

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1860834' date='May 7 2009, 12:58 PM']Since when is a college sweatshirt and sunglasses "gangsta" ??[/quote]

I thought you had the stunna shades on with the xxxl hoodie with the fubu jeans....
Btw that is a good look...
Mabey take the hoodie down to an xl....But other then that I like it....

Edited by Guest

HisChildForever

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1860835' date='May 7 2009, 02:00 PM']I thought you had the stunna shades on with the xxxl hoodie with the fubu blue jeans....[/quote]

Definitely no.

sarcasmguy126

there are girls at my school who i heard saying that they [spoiler]don't want to wear bras[/spoiler], and wish they didn't have to....as disturbing as that it

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1860827' date='May 7 2009, 10:51 AM']If we begin to analyze every single detail that could [b]potentially[/b] arouse the opposite sex, we will begin to be afraid to leave the house or show any individuality.

*cut*

It is just my opinion that too much scrutiny and too much fascination with modesty can actually lead one into temptation, which is - ironically - the OPPOSITE of what we want to achieve.[/quote]

Modesty isn't about dressing in order that the opposite sex isn't aroused.

As missonseeker said earlier... it can be annoying when all a man does is look at a woman's chest when she is talking to him. As a man, it can be HARD to not look at a woman's chest (even if it isn't in a lustful manner), when the chest is the area drawing attention because of dress. The man doesn't have to be turned on or lusting for this to happen either.

Also, over analyzing is no good at all, and I understand what you mean about the person who spends his time judging what others are wearing rather then keeping chastity of the eyes. However, that doesn't mean that there should not be significant care in the appropriateness of dress for both men and women.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Slappo' post='1860853' date='May 7 2009, 02:37 PM']Modesty isn't about dressing in order that the opposite sex isn't aroused.[/quote]

Modesty is about dressing with dignity. We are called to respect the beauty of the human body which was created by God. We protect our chastity by keeping our thoughts pure and our dress appropriate. Wearing inappropriate attire scandalizes the opposite sex and takes away from our dignity. Scandalous dress can lead others into sin. We have SOME responsibility when it comes to protecting the opposite sex from lustful thoughts - which degrades them and ourselves. So yes, dressing appropriately in order to encourage the opposite sex to keep a pure mind is a HUGE part of what modesty is.

[quote]As missonseeker said earlier... it can be annoying when all a man does is look at a woman's chest when she is talking to him. As a man, it can be HARD to not look at a woman's chest (even if it isn't in a lustful manner), when the chest is the area drawing attention because of dress. The man doesn't have to be turned on or lusting for this to happen either.[/quote]

And it can be hard for a heterosexual woman to carry a conversation with another woman who is dressed inappropriately. I think everyone will agree that one of the MAIN REASONS we dress modestly is because we do not want to lead any member of the opposite sex into sin. Why else avoid wearing certain swimsuits in public? I have a two-piece that I am totally comfortable wearing in my backyard, but I make sure to wear a tank top over it (the bottom are the popular shorts style by the way) when I am out on the beach. The swimsuit is respectful when I am with family and my girlfriends (who would consider it modest, to be truthful) but has the potential of being disrespectful towards men when I am on the beach. However, when you have a very stringy bikini, you are just not properly representing yourself PERIOD, whether you be at home with family or out on the beach.

[quote]Also, over analyzing is no good at all, and I understand what you mean about the person who spends his time judging what others are wearing rather then keeping chastity of the eyes. However, that doesn't mean that there should not be significant care in the appropriateness of dress for both men and women.[/quote]

Of course modesty should be promoted everywhere and all the time. It should be the norm, not the exception, and I am pretty sure I have not said anything contrary to this.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='sarcasmguy126' post='1860845' date='May 7 2009, 03:23 PM']there are girls at my school who i heard saying that they [spoiler]don't want to wear bras[/spoiler], and wish they didn't have to....as disturbing as that it[/quote]

You ever worn one? You might be saying the same thing. :mellow:

missionseeker

[quote name='sarcasmguy126' post='1860845' date='May 7 2009, 01:23 PM']there are girls at my school who i heard saying that they [spoiler]don't want to wear bras[/spoiler], and wish they didn't have to....as disturbing as that it[/quote]

wishing you didn't have to is not the same as not actually doing so. ;)

as a guy, you will never understand that statement. :lol:

StColette

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1860873' date='May 7 2009, 03:12 PM']You ever worn one? You might be saying the same thing. :mellow:[/quote]

:yes: :lol:

HisChildForever

Am I the only one who prefers to wear one over not wearing one??

As in I find them comfortable. :P

Edited by HisChildForever

Archaeology cat

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1860873' date='May 7 2009, 08:12 PM']You ever worn one? You might be saying the same thing. :mellow:[/quote]
Yeah, I was thinking that, too.

Paladin D

[quote name='Slappo' post='1860853' date='May 7 2009, 03:37 PM']As missonseeker said earlier... it can be annoying when all a man does is look at a woman's chest when she is talking to him. As a man, it can be HARD to not look at a woman's chest (even if it isn't in a lustful manner), when the chest is the area drawing attention because of dress. The man doesn't have to be turned on or lusting for this to happen either.[/quote]

Since we're on the subject of "looking at chests" (all the crazy fundies are screaming in horror online reading this now), what about writing or logos on t-shirts?

A lot of people wear shirts (including Catholic ones) that have writing/logos on them. Is it "sinful" for a woman to wear a Phatmass shirt because guys will have to look at her chest to read the content? I don't think so, I think it depends on the content. If it said something like [spoiler]Tinker Toys[/spoiler], then I can see how it would draw attention to what is underneath the clothing.

At the sametime, I do think writing/logos should remain away from certain areas of the body, particularly on the backside of female pants. Shirts are different, plus a lot of them are unisex and made for both genders.

Edited by Paladin D

missionseeker

personally, I generally don't wear text on shirt unless it's a t-shirt.

I agree about the pants.