An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do You Tell If A Shirt Is Too Tight?

Slappo

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1860889' date='May 7 2009, 04:20 PM']Am I the only one who prefers to wear one over not wearing one??

As in I find them comfortable. :P[/quote]

Depends on what's going on with my body (pregnancy, for example, I completely hate them) and the kind it is.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1860897' date='May 7 2009, 04:27 PM']personally, I generally don't wear text on shirt unless it's a t-shirt.

I agree about the pants.[/quote]

Yeah, it depends on the shirt. If it's really cute/cool I'll buy it, but in general I am against logos and characters on clothing. (You will never see my kids out wearing Dora or SpongeBob or any other character.)

The pants... most ridiculous and stupid thing EVER. They aren't even catchy sayings. They're lame. What would possess a grown woman to walk around in pants that say "Princess" across the butt? Seriously. :wacko:

Paladin D

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1860827' date='May 7 2009, 02:51 PM']What Paladin said is pretty much dead-on. Driving home from school, I had some jerk trying to get my attention by pulling up alongside my car and honking. When we got to a light, I made sure to hang back a bit so our front windows weren't lined up. He attempted to make eye contact by leaning into his side mirror, nearly hanging out of his car. (I had a similar incident a few months ago, where a man WAS hanging out of his open car window.) So guess what I was wearing? A huge, over-sized college sweatshirt (which was at one point my older brother's) and dark blue jeans. There was no way this man could have been "seduced" by my figure. Not only was I wearing a pretty shapeless, lazy outfit - but I was in my CAR. I had sunglasses on so the man did not even get a clear view of my face.

Maybe he was "turned on" because I am a college student (have the sticker on the back of my car) - some men do have disturbing "fantasies" like this. [That alone reminds me of two friends from my first university who were told by their cab driver that he "likes" college women, especially freshman. They explained him as a very creepy, inappropriate man.] Can my college sticker encourage lustful thoughts? Is it immodest? Should I remove it from my car? If we begin to analyze every single detail that could [b]potentially[/b] arouse the opposite sex, we will begin to be afraid to leave the house or show any individuality.[/quote]

Reminds me of when I worked a weekend shift at another Applebee's restaurant, since they were short on staff and were asking for help from neighboring locations. Without saying anything suggestive, just doing my job as a server in an Applebee's uniform, a female employee called me [spoiler]sexy white chocolate[/spoiler], with a few others in agreement. :mellow: The employee workforce in this restaurant was predominately black, and guess liked seeing a white guy? How am I suppost to change my color? :lol:

Domine ut Videam

I've been told that a good rule to go by is that:

If you have to ask me if it's modest then its probably not.

StColette

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' post='1860907' date='May 7 2009, 03:36 PM']I've been told that a good rule to go by is that:

If you have to ask me if it's modest then its probably not.[/quote]

I don't particularly like this rule. Many women are very scrupulous about their attire and bodies so this rule doesn't not work well for them.

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' post='1860907' date='May 7 2009, 12:36 PM']I've been told that a good rule to go by is that:

If you have to ask me if it's modest then its probably not.[/quote]

I take it you didn't read the rest of the thread?

The thing about that is there are legitimate questions about modesty and one cannot assume that just because they need to ask to be informed that it is immodest. "Is my ankle length plaid jumper modest?" "Well, you had to ask, so I guess not..." :P

SaintOlaf

[quote name='Slappo' post='1860925' date='May 7 2009, 04:58 PM']"Is my ankle length plaid jumper modest?"[/quote]

This reminded me of Patrick Madrid's top 10 orthodox Catholic pick up lines:

[quote]I couldn't help but noticing how cute you look in that ankle-length, shapeless, plaid jumper.[/quote]

or something to that effect.

:lol:

Edited by SaintOlaf

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1860316' date='May 7 2009, 12:51 AM']short sleeves - especially those miniature cap sleeves are not modest enough. 3/4 sleeves are tolerable, but no elbows.[/quote]
Thats your personal opinion, I think cap sleeves are fine :) I can't imagine people stimulated by elbows :D

StColette

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1860928' date='May 7 2009, 04:14 PM']Thats your personal opinion, I think cap sleeves are fine :) I can't imagine people stimulated by elbows :D[/quote]

I can't imagine anyone being able to survive Louisiana heat and humidity in long sleeves lol

johnnydigit

[quote name='Slappo' post='1860853' date='May 7 2009, 12:37 PM']Modesty isn't about dressing in order that the opposite sex isn't aroused.[/quote]

on the contrary almost everything i have read about modesty and chastity places a great emphasis on protecting your neighbor,

“One can not sufficiently deplore the blindness of so many women of every age and station. Made foolish by a desire to please, [b]they do not see to what degree the indecency of their clothing shocks every honest man and offends God.[/b]" -Pope Benedict XV

"And while it is true that [b]men must practice responsible self control, it is equally true that women respect the nature of man[/b] whose imagination is easily stirred by the women’s figure and adequately veil parts of her body... otherwise she may sin against modesty and charity towards neighbor." -Fr. Hathaway FSSP

"The good of our soul is more important than that of our body; and [b]we have to prefer the spiritual welfare of our neighbor to our bodily comforts.[/b]" -Pope Pius XII to Catholic Young Women's Groups of Italy

regarding the fashion of the time and what it does to their souls, "..what is still worse, to their eternal ruin, [b]miserably dragging down others in their fall.[/b]" -1930 Letter of the Congregation of the Council.

"..[b]the lack of love shown by so many people to their neighbor[/b] in the poor and immodest way in which they dress..
..When a person dresses immodestly he or she can become [b]an occasion of sin for other people.[/b]
..To knowingly and intentionally dress like this is sinful, and can be even seriously sinful, because one become a temptation to sin for other people. [b]We are all weak and can easily fall into many sins of impurity by someone else’s immodesty. [/b]
..Let us love our neighbor, even our enemies: first, in relation to today’s Gospel, by dressing properly and modestly. " -[url="http://www.catholicmodesty.com/Sermon_on_Modesty_Fr_Dominic_Mary_6-14-05.mht"]homily by Fr. Dominic Mary, MFVA, 2005 [/url]

and here comes a big whopping hammer (caution!: [img]http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/hardhat.gif[/img] ),

"[b]You carry your snare everywhere and spread your nets in all places. You allege that you never invited others to sin. You did not, indeed, by your words, but you have done so by your dress and your deportment. ... When you have made another sin in his heart, how can you be innocent?

Tell me, whom does this world condemn? Whom do judges punish? Those who drink poison or those who prepare it and administer the fatal potion? You have prepared the abominable cup, you have given the death dealing drink, and you are more criminal than are those who poison the body; you murder not the body but the soul.

And it is not to enemies you do this, nor are you urged on by any imaginary necessity, nor provoked by injury, but out of foolish vanity and pride." -St. John Chrysostom[/b]

my goodness! one sec.. [img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/PursuitGT/flamesuit.gif[/img]

sarcasmguy126

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1860895' date='May 7 2009, 03:25 PM']Since we're on the subject of "looking at chests" (all the crazy fundies are screaming in horror online reading this now), what about writing or logos on t-shirts?

A lot of people wear shirts (including Catholic ones) that have writing/logos on them. Is it "sinful" for a woman to wear a Phatmass shirt because guys will have to look at her chest to read the content? I don't think so, I think it depends on the content. If it said something like [spoiler]Tinker Toys[/spoiler], then I can see how it would draw attention to what is underneath the clothing.

At the sametime, I do think writing/logos should remain away from certain areas of the body, particularly on the backside of female pants. Shirts are different, plus a lot of them are unisex and made for both genders.[/quote]

Yeah, I for one think that the backside of shorts is the worst place for writing. It can be very distracting.

Johnny,
I never said that immodest dress cannot be an occasion of sin for someone else. But even with all of those quotes, I still hold that the purpose of modesty is not dressing in order that the opposite sex be aroused.

First: Yes that is a part of modesty, but that is not what modesty is.
Second: The only time modesty is used in all of those quotes says that immodesty can be an occasion of sin (which I don't deny) and the FSSP priest says that it can be a sin against modesty to dress in a way that is an occasion of sin.

Note also that some quotes talk about dragging another down with you in [b]your fall[/b]. That would mean there is already a sin present. The sin would be not upholding your own dignity in your dress. It is not a sin for a man to look upon a woman who is dressed undignified (when he starts lusting after her of course it is a sin), but it is still a sin for the woman to dress in a manner not worthy of a temple of the Holy Spirit (as it is for a man as well).

Also... it isn't about dressing in a manner where the opposite sex is aroused... in fact in marriage it is quite modest to dress arousing your partner.

I would posit that a hermit man that lives in his hermitage away from all others can still be immodest even though there is no one to be sexually tempted. Now the biggest danger of modesty for your neighbor is of course sexual temptation, but [b]modesty goes beyond that.[/b]

Modest comes from the latin modestus which means keeping within bounds or moderate.

rose wrought of iron

I try and dress modestly but I think that modesty is more that just making sure you're covered. It's also the way you behave, the way you carry yourself; acting in a dignified manner and as though you deserve others' respect also seems important to me. Granted, when I say that I don't mean act stuck up or stiff all the way, just be conscious of how you behave, because it influences how others see you. Guys are more likely to have impure thoughts of the girl who's strutting and "working it" than the girl who walks with quiet dignity.

But I can relate to guys being obnoxious about stuff like that, and I dress modestly as well. Last weekend, while my mom and I were in College Station for my uncle's wedding, we went to the movies at this theater close to campus. I was wearing this shirt (cool pattern, elbow length sleeves) with a hood and a camisole underneath it, loose jeans, nothing revealing or very tight at all. But I still saw guys checking me out. :idontknow: And I don't remember who said it, but someone already mentioned this; the girl can do everything right and guys may still be thinking the wrong things. At that point, it's their responsibility.

Edited by rose wrought of iron

txdinghysailor

[quote name='rose wrought of iron' post='1861114' date='May 7 2009, 07:58 PM']But I still saw guys checking me out.[/quote]

The must've been blind.... <_<