An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do You Tell If A Shirt Is Too Tight?

Slappo

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1860266' date='May 7 2009, 04:21 AM']Is it immodest for me to be really really ridiculously good looking?
:detective:
Seriously, I wear a long coat and hat just so that I don't cause accidents when I walk down the street. Am I morally obligated to make myself look ugly?
People stare at me all day long because I'm just entrancing to look at. They may well be haing impure thoughts, but I just don't know what to do!

Now back to life in the real world. We apologize for this short interlude in the land of fantasy and outright delusion. Please enjoy the rest of your evening.

;) :))

Oh, and just for effect...
[img]http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/050114/17132__zoo_l.jpg[/img][/quote]
:lol_pound:

johnnydigit

[quote name='Slappo' post='1860465' date='May 6 2009, 11:32 PM']I never said 2 inches was immodest... I'm just saying for someone to say "If you have to ask, then it is immodest" definitely does not work because there are many people who have legitimate questions on the matter.[/quote]

"If you have to ask, then it is immodest" was not intended. if you have to ask, it doesn't necessarily mean it is automatically immodest, but that you may be too close to the border. it would be prudent to skip it for now, and in the meantime, ask questions, pray about it and come to a confident conclusion. next time you can either ditch it, or confidently wear it without questioning yourself at all.

the ultimate goal would be to be at peace with your entire wardrobe. imagine, a place/time when you would never worry about what you're wearing..

Edited by johnnydigit

the lords sheep

I would say that it's different for different women (within reason- skirt cut 8 inches above the knee is NEVER appropriate to wear anywhere but the beach.)
One thing that I suggest is either layer (layers are our friends, camis can make a revealing top/dress into something lovely). As someone said, if it stretches across the bust (or if it can't be easily buttoned) it's too tight. It's sometimes harder on a student budget, but your girlfriend could go up a size to fit her bust and then have a shirt tailored to fit her waist (this costs maybe $8-10, but it can be more depending on the shirt).
If she can so, she can alter "revealing" tops by sewing in a piece of lace or fabric (especially helpful for dresses that you might wear to work or to church!)
More than that, she just has to be careful, and you both have to be honest. If something is too revealing for you, ask her not to wear the shirt around you.

Tell her good luck!!

In Christ,
Lauren

txdinghysailor

I guess I really can't say much about this topic.... lol On the sailing team when it's warm enough the guys only wear boardshorts and lifejackets, and the girls bikinis and lifejackets... :rolleyes: It gives everyone some really weird tans.... To go along with the goggles around our eyes from sunglasses.... lol

Edited by txdinghysailor

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1860536' date='May 7 2009, 05:59 AM']I guess I really can't say much about this topic.... lol On the sailing team when it's warm enough the guys only wear boardshorts and lifejackets, and the girls bikinis and lifejackets... :rolleyes: It gives everyone some really weird tans.... To go along with the goggles around our eyes from sunglasses.... lol[/quote]

If there is any flaw with the bikini it's that some women make the erronous assumption that because someone women look good in a bikini all women look good in a bikini. :unsure:

txdinghysailor

Indeed. Thankfully all of the girls on the team look good in a bikini.... ;)

hoosieranna

[quote name='Slappo' post='1860193' date='May 6 2009, 10:36 PM']Ladies,
How do you tell when a shirt is too form fitting to wear? My girlfriend and I have trouble knowing how tight is too tight for her to dress modestly. It is harder to find modest clothes for well-endowed ladies :wacko:[/quote]

As a fellow, ahem, well-endowed woman, I figured I'd add my two cents. Clothes that are fitted, though not tight, actually give the illusion of slimness and a smaller upper body. The same goes for open necklines, like v-necks or scoop necklines. Covering everything up in a turtleneck actually only makes everything look bigger. This is especially true of rib-knit short sleeve turtlenecks. These are the ultimate no no for the bosomly. It is possible to wear an open neckline and not show any cleavage or bra straps. Also good for larger upper bodies are wrap tops, also known as surplice topes. They minimize and you can usually layer a cute cami underneath if necessary.

icelandic_iceskater

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1860534' date='May 7 2009, 06:54 AM'](layers are our friends, camis can make a revealing top/dress into something lovely)[/quote]
even cami's can be too revealing, though! I don't own a single cami that does not/has not needed the straps shortened. And then by the time I shorten the straps to solve the cleavage issue, they're not as long as I'd like. :wacko:

I started wearing shirts like [url="http://media.kohls.com.edgesuite.net/is/image/kohls/186178_Light_Gray_Heather?wid=230&hei=230&op_sharpen=1"]this[/url] in an attempt to find someone that's not too low, but now I've got the too tight problem. Granted I don't buy them as tight as it's shown on that mannequin,, but you pretty much have to get something that's at a little tight, at least on the upper half. Either that or look like you're wearing some oversize baggy shirt with a neck so huge that you pretty much can't bend over without having it gape open. <_<

scardella

Just as a general thought... I'm not sure how helpful it is, though...

I feel less uptight about my wife's clothes now that we're married.

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1860316' date='May 6 2009, 11:51 PM']short sleeves - especially those miniature cap sleeves are not modest enough. 3/4 sleeves are tolerable, but no elbows.[/quote]

I'm sorry, but if someone is scandalized by my forearms ... :rolleyes:

StColette

[quote name='scardella' post='1860620' date='May 7 2009, 09:50 AM']Just as a general thought... I'm not sure how helpful it is, though...

I feel less uptight about my wife's clothes now that we're married.[/quote]

I think many married men and women would agree. I believe many dating/engaged couples that are striving for modesty and chastity can sometimes be overly sensitive. It's completely understandable as to why given the fact that they aren't married.

StColette

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1860608' date='May 7 2009, 09:35 AM']even cami's can be too revealing, though! I don't own a single cami that does not/has not needed the straps shortened. And then by the time I shorten the straps to solve the cleavage issue, they're not as long as I'd like. :wacko:[/quote]

Easy fix to this issue. Buy maternity camis. They hide cleavage better, usually, and they are longer.

Girls be prepared it becomes worse once you're a mommy, at least for some of us.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1860242' date='May 7 2009, 12:07 AM']+J.M.J.+
how to tell if it's too tight across the boobs: the material stretches or ripples/bunches in the cleavage. that's my measurement for too tight[/quote]

This.
:yes:

Paladin D

I not only applaud those who are mindful of the way they dress and try their best to remain modest, but I also encourage (and wish) others do the same. With that said, I also hope that people do not take this to the extreme. [b]No matter what precautionary measures you take, there will ALWAYS be something wrong or someone looking at you.[/b] Standards on what is and what is not considered modest clothing, like society, do change. In a not too-distant past, it was immodest for women to reveal their ankles, yet today it's perfectly acceptible (yet some men still get 'turned on' by ankles/feet).

My point? Use your best judgement, because you cannot and will not be able to please everyone on this subjective topic since men (and women) can give you a list of different types of styles that tempt them. A sleeveless shirt on a woman may not tempt Guy #1, but it may tempt Guy #2, or heck Girl #2 if she's dealing with Same-Sex Attraction.

I've seen this topic brought up before, of course Phatmass is constantly gaining more, awesome Catholics, so it's natural for this subject to be discussed again. I'm just worried for you guys sake on the matter, because you will never be able to satisfy everyone, including the strangers who will do a double-take on you even if you wore a trash bag. I have a few co-workers (in which we all wear the same work clothes) who will STILL stare at one another, even though they are wearing Docker-style pants, and fully-button up dress shirts. Some women just have large curves, so you'll see them no matter what. Some men are just really built up, so women will still drool over them. You cannot cater to everyone.

As a side note, I do think [b][i]Nadezhda[/b][/i] pointed something out worth mentioning again:
[quote name='Nadezhda' post='1860596' date='May 7 2009, 09:17 AM']As a fellow, ahem, well-endowed woman, I figured I'd add my two cents. Clothes that are fitted, though not tight, actually give the illusion of slimness and a smaller upper body. The same goes for open necklines, like v-necks or scoop necklines. Covering everything up in a turtleneck actually only makes everything look bigger.[/quote]

V-necks are not evil, but can be used to one's advantage such as this. Know how you look, know your body, use your best judgement.

God Bless & Pax Christi. :cool:

Edited by Paladin D