An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do You Tell If A Shirt Is Too Tight?

Slappo

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1861122' date='May 7 2009, 03:04 PM']The must've been blind.... <_<[/quote]
Weren't you supposed to be gone to Cathay or somewhere until June or something?

txdinghysailor

[quote name='Arpy' post='1861124' date='May 7 2009, 08:06 PM']Weren't you supposed to be gone to Cathay or somewhere until June or something?[/quote]

I leave Saturday. Hope you won't have to re-schedule the "oh thank God he's gone!" party... :P

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1861129' date='May 7 2009, 08:10 PM']I leave Saturday. Hope you won't have to re-schedule the "oh thank God he's gone!" party... :P[/quote]

No worries. It's on the calendar for Sunday. So we can REALLY thank God.

rose wrought of iron

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1861122' date='May 7 2009, 07:04 PM']The must've been blind.... <_<[/quote]

No, they had eyes... :whistle:
But at the same time, I don't appreciate obnoxious guys leering at me. :blush: Not sure if this was the right response, but I stopped right in front of them, looked them over really slowly and shook my head sadly, as though I found something lacking. :evil:
They looked really uncomfortable after that... :lol:

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1861145' date='May 7 2009, 07:24 PM']No worries. It's on the calendar for Sunday. So we can REALLY thank God.[/quote]

:rolling:

[quote name='Slappo' post='1860289' date='May 6 2009, 11:34 PM']I actually won't even wear that polo shirt in my avatar picture around her if the top button isn't buttoned or I don't have a t-shirt on underneath it anymore.[/quote]
I'm sorry, but that's just scrupulous and ridiculous.

Immodest for a guy to leave the top button on a polo shirt unbuttoned?
Please.

I know you're sexy and all, but going by your avatar photo, I highly doubt a small glimpse of your clavicle or a couple stray chest hairs constitutes a proximate occasion of sin for women.

I certainly hope you don't try to enforce the same absurdly stringent standards on your girl as you do for yourself!

As for girls' shirts, use common sense (foreign concept to phatmass though it be). If her nipples aren't bustin' through the shirt or her boobs spilling out the top, it should be fine.

Modesty is good and all, but the absurd amount of scrupulosity over it displayed by some on pm is not.

And I don't think "well-endowed" ladies are morally required to go out of their way to hide it, or to wear more clothes than their lesser-busted sisters. While girls shouldn't be dressing as to blatantly putting their wares on display, there's no need to go to lengths to hide what God blessed them with.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Socrates' post='1861203' date='May 7 2009, 08:31 PM']Modesty is good and all, but the absurd amount of scrupulosity over it displayed by some on pm is not.[/quote]

I could not have said it better myself.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1861203' date='May 7 2009, 04:31 PM']I'm sorry, but that's just scrupulous and ridiculous.

Immodest for a guy to leave the top button on a polo shirt unbuttoned?
Please.

I know you're sexy and all, but going by your avatar photo, I highly doubt a small glimpse of your clavicle or a couple stray chest hairs constitutes a proximate occasion of sin for women.

I certainly hope you don't try to enforce the same absurdly stringent standards on your girl as you do for yourself![/quote]

Yeah except I won't wear it not buttoned because my girlfriend asked me to. It isn't immodest to do so and I never said it was. Thanks for the attitude.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1861203' date='May 7 2009, 04:31 PM']Modesty is good and all, but the absurd amount of scrupulosity over it displayed by some on pm is not.[/quote]
Yet it is said that sins of a sexual nature are the most common reason for one to be sent to hell. I guess we'd best not worry TOO much.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1860928' date='May 7 2009, 03:14 PM']Thats your personal opinion, I think cap sleeves are fine :) I can't imagine people stimulated by elbows :D[/quote]
It's not my personal opinion, it's the preference of my friend for her wedding dress.

I live on an island in the Gulf of Mexico. Down here few people care how much skin is showing at church - we're more glad that people choose to go to mass while they're on vacation.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Slappo' post='1861299' date='May 7 2009, 10:00 PM']Yet it is said that sins of a sexual nature are the most common reason for one to be sent to hell. I guess we'd best not worry TOO much.[/quote]

There is a tremendous difference between modesty and scrupulous modesty. He was referring to the latter. When people begin to compare sleeve lengths, for example, it just begins to get ridiculous. There was a thread awhile back about a woman's bare shoulders being immodest, as well as her upper back, upper arms, knees, and what have you. It really bothered a lot of the female members.

ardillacid

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1861515' date='May 8 2009, 12:13 AM']There is a tremendous difference between modesty and scrupulous modesty. He was referring to the latter. When people begin to compare sleeve lengths, for example, it just begins to get ridiculous. There was a thread awhile back about a woman's bare shoulders being immodest, as well as her upper back, upper arms, knees, and what have you. It really bothered a lot of the female members.[/quote]
I can see why.

HisChildForever

[quote name='rose wrought of iron' post='1861146' date='May 7 2009, 07:26 PM']Not sure if this was the right response, but I stopped right in front of them, looked them over really slowly and shook my head sadly, as though I found something lacking.[/quote]

No, this was the perfect response. These kinds of men think that they can get away with their lewd and obnoxious behavior. I believe that they act out not only because they find the female attractive, but because it gives them a sense of power. This is especially true if they look physically intimidating - they are 99% confident that the female will "duck and cover" so to speak. They know that this is NOT the way to attract positive attention (or a way to get a date). So what other reason is there to act out in such a way? No doubt they find the woman's response - embarrassment and escape - amusing. Their goal was to make the woman uncomfortable [i]on purpose[/i] and they feel empowered after achieving this desired effect. But appropriately standing up for yourself shocks them and shuts them up.

missionseeker

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1861534' date='May 7 2009, 11:21 PM']I can see why.[/quote]

you should have seen the thread...

tinytherese

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1861544' date='May 8 2009, 12:40 AM']No, this was the perfect response. These kinds of men think that they can get away with their lewd and obnoxious behavior. I believe that they act out not only because they find the female attractive, but because it gives them a sense of power. This is especially true if they look physically intimidating - they are 99% confident that the female will "duck and cover" so to speak. They know that this is NOT the way to attract positive attention (or a way to get a date). So what other reason is there to act out in such a way? No doubt they find the woman's response - embarrassment and escape - amusing. Their goal was to make the woman uncomfortable [i]on purpose[/i] and they feel empowered after achieving this desired effect. But appropriately standing up for yourself shocks them and shuts them up.[/quote]

I better tell the ladies at my women's college about this fear tactic. The amount of hoots, hollers, whistles, honks from cars, obscenities we get yelled at are ridiculous. A lot of girls (including me) have been known to get scared. There have also been cases of young men hanging around the residence halls in the evenings. One case I heard of two guys saying to the girls that go by, "How you doing?" Women's colleges are honestly magnets for creepy guys, some are significantly older. One of my friends had some guy last year that was over ten years older than her drive by to talk to her and [[spoiler]code]commented that she had a nice body and said that he wanted to sleep with her and if she didn't want to do it then could she recommend someone for [/spoiler]him.[/code] There was a car wash held at my school for a fundraiser last fall and some toothless middle aged man was drooling over my peers as they washed his car. Nasty!

Edited by tinytherese

Archaeology cat

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1861027' date='May 7 2009, 10:59 PM']if it constricts breathing, then, it's too tight[/quote]
:lol: So yeah, no corsets. And stays aren't very comfortable.

abercius24

Best advice I've ever heard on modest dress: "If you keep pulling at it throughout the day, then you unconsciously know you are exposing too much."

Apart from that, I would simply emphasize the difference between the classy vs. the exhibitionist. The classy has the intent to demonstrate and share beauty in general. The exhibitionist has the intent to invoke lustful feelings in others. Like any other art form, different styles of clothing invoke different emotions. Choose those emotions you invoke in others carefully. And remember to ask others what emotions your clothing invokes in them. They are likely to tell you the truth!