An Old School Catholic Message Board

America And Guns

OraProMe

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='10 November 2009 - 06:44 PM' timestamp='1257907453' post='2000074']
Anyone who hasn't lived under a rock knows what is safe and unsafe when driving. Most of them simply don't care what is safe, and most have a license in their purse.
[/quote]
then how do you explain people who fail the test, especially the regulars? obviously on the test they are on their best behavior, and trying to abide by the rules. so either they are not competent enough to do so, or they dont know the rules. both happen fairly often.

[quote]
Make me? There is your violence. You have no right to do violence against me for doing something that is not only not immoral, but not a direct violation of the rights of others. That you think you do, as I said earlier, is a problem.
[/quote]
i guess it is the state doing violence against me that makes me put on pants and underwear in the morning. (though the canadian weather probably has something to do with that)
i think its immoral to sell somebody a gun just because they look trustworthy, without spending a few minutes to actually check on the most basic things. it doesnt prove anything, almost every serial killer "looks" trustworthy, and it is totally subjective to your opinions etc. especially when you could be selling a gun that kills an officer, etc cause you didnt check to see that the"smart looking young fellow" in front of you is actually on the run from the cops for robbing a bank/killing somebody.

[quote]
Miniguns are legal to own by regular individuals. If you can find one for sale and afford it. They're classified as "Destructive devices." And you have to sell your soul to the State to get the approval to do so.
[/quote]

sort of.
[quote]The National Firearms Act states that any fully automatic weaponsconstructed before 1986 are legal for a civilian possessing a Class 2permit to own. The few miniguns that were on the market by thenremained legal, and have been circulating around the country for years.No crimes have ever been reported committed by a minigun-wieldingcriminal, which might be because billionaires so rarely hold up 7-11's.[/quote]
there is only like 11 in the US that are civilian legal. i guess they arent quite like ATVs cause they can still be sold, but you know what i mean.

[/quote]
As I said, in some States, you do not need a permit to carry a firearm concealed. Most States allow open carry without a permission slip from another man.

And in the States where carrying a firearm without a permit is prohibited, yes, police already arrest people for carrying a firearm without a permission slip. And it's already morally wrong for them to do so.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
i dont see why? i am assuming that is how they catch these "bad guys with illegal weapons" you keep talking about. you know, the ones your handguns are supposed to be for killing? and i dont see how there would be "good guys" with illegal weapons. because they would be breaking the law already to have one.

some things need to be more restricted.
Some states have laws restricting possession of flamethrowers, withviolations only considered to be misdemeanors, but 40 states haveabsolutely no laws whatsoever concerning flamethrowers. Only in Americawould a device capable of launching rivers of fire at people be lessregulated than marijuana.
these, unlike miniguns can be had for less than 300$
yes, they can be used to fight off "killer bees" (something i do, like, EVERYDAY!) but other than that what possible reason could there be for them to be legal? (im not disputing that they are awesome, i would love to play with one, and not end up setting myself on fire, but there are many things i would like to do, that i shouldnt be allowed to do.)

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='10 November 2009 - 10:10 PM' timestamp='1257909036' post='2000128']
Joe Average does run the country. The aristocracy merely pretends to, like a child with a hammer pretends to build things. Both of them only succeed in making a lot of noise and destroying the surrounding environment.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
We have no aristocracy. That's why it's only taken us 200 years to get to this point. We're more efficient at decadence.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='10 November 2009 - 11:11 PM' timestamp='1257909110' post='2000129']
then how do you explain people who fail the test, especially the regulars? obviously on the test they are on their best behavior, and trying to abide by the rules. so either they are not competent enough to do so, or they dont know the rules. both happen fairly often.[/quote]

Does her not having a license in itself keep her off the road?

[quote]i think its immoral to sell somebody a gun just because they look trustworthy, without spending a few minutes to actually check on the most basic things. it doesnt prove anything, almost every serial killer "looks" trustworthy, and it is totally subjective to your opinions etc. especially when you could be selling a gun that kills an officer, etc cause you didnt check to see that the"smart looking young fellow" in front of you is actually on the run from the cops for robbing a bank/killing somebody.[/quote]

It does not matter. There is nothing immoral about selling firearms to people you have no reason to suspect is a dangerous person. Period. If they're known to be dangerous, they should be in prison, because one of them could easily kill 200 people in a crowded building, without any firearm.

[quote]
i dont see why? i am assuming that is how they catch these "bad guys with illegal weapons" you keep talking about. you know, the ones your handguns are supposed to be for killing? and i dont see how there would be "good guys" with illegal weapons. because they would be breaking the law already to have one.[/quote]

Defensive weapons themselves cannot be morally outlawed. Immoral actions can be prohibited. There is nothing intrinsically immoral about carrying a firearm.

[quote]some things need to be more restricted.
Some states have laws restricting possession of flamethrowers, withviolations only considered to be misdemeanors, but 40 states have absolutely no laws whatsoever concerning flamethrowers. Only in America would a device capable of launching rivers of fire at people be less regulated than marijuana.
these, unlike miniguns can be had for less than 300$
yes, they can be used to fight off "killer bees" (something i do, like, EVERYDAY!) but other than that what possible reason could there be for them to be legal? (im not disputing that they are awesome, i would love to play with one, and not end up setting myself on fire, but there are many things i would like to do, that i shouldnt be allowed to do.)
[/quote]

I have no right to do violence against you because you own a firearm, a flamethrower, or a tank. They're simply not immoral activities, and more importantly (when it comes to the use of violence) neither do those acts violate the rights of other people. If you don't have the right to use violence against non-aggressors, you can't give that right to anyone else.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='Winchester' date='10 November 2009 - 11:12 PM' timestamp='1257909128' post='2000130']
We have no aristocracy. That's why it's only taken us 200 years to get to this point. We're more efficient at decadence.
[/quote]

You look at those smug politicians and you don't see aristrocrats?

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='10 November 2009 - 10:23 PM' timestamp='1257909806' post='2000143']
You look at those smug politicians and you don't see aristrocrats?

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
No. An aristocracy knows its place. A leader exists because he is neccessary. Much the same as an anus is neccessary.

[quote name='Winchester' date='10 November 2009 - 11:26 PM' timestamp='1257909983' post='2000147']
No. An aristocracy knows its place. A leader exists because he is neccessary. Much the same as an anus is neccessary.
[/quote]

Leaders are necessary. I am not of course saying that you define it this way, but as I [too] often [have to] point out, a "leader" doesn't stand behind you with a gun and make you do things.

My posterior region benefits me. The same can not be said of a politician.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='10 November 2009 - 10:30 PM' timestamp='1257910201' post='2000149']
Leaders are necessary. I am not of course saying that you define it this way, but as I [too] often [have to] point out, a "leader" doesn't stand behind you with a gun and make you do things.

My posterior region benefits me. The same can not be said of a politician.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
But sometimes they have to. The hardest part about being in charge is disciplining the people you love. And those you lead you should love.

[quote name='Winchester' date='10 November 2009 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1257910313' post='2000150']
But sometimes they have to. The hardest part about being in charge is disciplining the people you love. And those you lead you should love.
[/quote]

We love Big Brother.

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='10 November 2009 - 10:34 PM' timestamp='1257910446' post='2000152']
We love Big Brother.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
One can maintain discipline without being Big Brother.

[quote name='Winchester' date='10 November 2009 - 11:35 PM' timestamp='1257910558' post='2000153']
One can maintain discipline without being Big Brother.
[/quote]

Not if one is an agent of the State.

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='10 November 2009 - 10:37 PM' timestamp='1257910660' post='2000155']
Not if one is an agent of the State.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
Untrue. Too broad a statement.

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='10 November 2009 - 07:21 PM' timestamp='1257909703' post='2000140']
Does her not having a license in itself keep her off the road?
[/quote]
lol, like how you assumed it was a "her"
and yes, for almost everyone it keeps them off the street. the people who drive without one are very much the exception around here, the law keeps 99% of the teenagers, etc who cant drive off the road. and the people who break that rule, they get arrested. you cant stop everyone, but that doesnt mean it is futile to try, especially if it catches most of the people. it works.

i mean banning abortion isnt gonna stop the people who will resort to back alley abortionists, but that doesnt mean it is pointless. praying at an abortion clinic has way less success at stopping abortion than a nationwide ban would, but it isnt exactly pointless either.

[quote]
It does not matter. There is nothing immoral about selling firearms to people you have no reason to suspect is a dangerous person. Period. If they're known to be dangerous, they should be in prison, because one of them could easily kill 200 people in a crowded building, without any firearm.
[/quote]

you would have no reason to suspect anybody of anything, cause you would have only seen them for the 5 seconds they have been in your store. its simply idiocy to not bother with something a little more effective.

[quote]
I have no right to do violence against you because you own a firearm, a flamethrower, or a tank. They're simply not immoral activities, and more importantly (when it comes to the use of violence) neither do those acts violate the rights of other people. If you don't have the right to use violence against non-aggressors, you can't give that right to anyone else.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

so, is it immoral for me to own nuclear device or other large explosive device? im serious, you gotta draw a line somewhere, where is yours?

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='10 November 2009 - 10:46 PM' timestamp='1257911178' post='2000167']
i dunno, your mom called me over, so...
[/quote]
I am laughing my wings off.