Nihil Obstat Posted November 27, 2009 Posted November 27, 2009 Lol, I just read an old thread from fisheaters.com. Apparently Phatmass is way too liberal for them. One of the best comments about Phatmass was that "it's like training wheels for young traditionalists in training." It was just too weird. If that's what people on that site are like, I don't expect to ever spend any time there. The discussion ended up turning into why rap is literally evil music. Now, I don't really like hip hop, but I certainly wouldn't go that far.
Sternhauser Posted November 27, 2009 Posted November 27, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='26 November 2009 - 11:14 PM' timestamp='1259291689' post='2009981'] Lol, I just read an old thread from fisheaters.com. Apparently Phatmass is way too liberal for them. One of the best comments about Phatmass was that "it's like training wheels for young traditionalists in training." It was just too weird. If that's what people on that site are like, I don't expect to ever spend any time there. The discussion ended up turning into why rap is literally evil music. Now, I don't really like hip hop, but I certainly wouldn't go that far. [/quote] [font="Verdana"] Any music that uses percussion instruments to impart a beat, or music that relies on the use electricity, is intrinsically disordered and of the devil. Was that the impression you got from their site?[/font][font="Verdana"][size="2"] ~Sternhauser [/size][/font]
Nihil Obstat Posted November 27, 2009 Author Posted November 27, 2009 [quote name='Sternhauser' date='26 November 2009 - 09:25 PM' timestamp='1259292302' post='2009984'] [font="Verdana"] Any music that uses percussion instruments to impart a beat, or music that relies on the use electricity, is intrinsically disordered and of the devil. Was that the impression you got from their site?[/font][font="Verdana"][size="2"] ~Sternhauser [/size][/font] [/quote] Something like that. Apparently sacred music is not only the most appropriate music at Mass, it's the only music you should listen to ever, or else you're going to hell.
Resurrexi Posted November 27, 2009 Posted November 27, 2009 (edited) All forums have their crazies. Phatmass defintely has its share of them. Edited November 27, 2009 by Resurrexi
Nihil Obstat Posted November 27, 2009 Author Posted November 27, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' date='26 November 2009 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1259292574' post='2009988'] All forums have their crazies. Phatmass defintely has its share of them. [/quote] I saw you post!! You seemed positively modernist in comparison.
Nihil Obstat Posted November 27, 2009 Author Posted November 27, 2009 Actually one or more people specifically accused Phatmass of modernism. Rexi here was one of a few few voices of reason.
Mr.Cat Posted November 27, 2009 Posted November 27, 2009 (edited) I have heard negative things about Phatmass from other “[i]supposed[/i]” Catholics on the Internet. I say “[i]supposed[/i]” because when Catholics make their faith into an exclusionary fundamentalism, I have a hard time saying it is the Catholic faith I know and love. When I discussed it with the “[i]supposed[/i]” Catholics they gave me a few questionable objections, which when they asked me to reply, they decided that I was just “[i][b]brainwashed[/b][/i]” because I didn’t think like them. I personally find it very frustrating when some people turn their faith into an excuse to turn their brains off or stop being charitable. Edited November 27, 2009 by Mr.CatholicCat
Mark of the Cross Posted November 27, 2009 Posted November 27, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' date='27 November 2009 - 02:29 PM' timestamp='1259292574' post='2009988'] All forums have their crazies. Phatmass defintely has its share of them. [/quote] We still love you though!
Vincent Vega Posted November 27, 2009 Posted November 27, 2009 Goodness, is there a lot of ugliess in some threads over there!
Productive Catholic Posted November 27, 2009 Posted November 27, 2009 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='27 November 2009 - 12:28 AM' timestamp='1259306931' post='2010180'] Goodness, is there a lot of ugliess in some threads over there! [/quote] meh, did anyone expect anything else from their forums? No big deal though. Kind of rather have them than extreme libs that ruin the liturgy and have moral spines of a fine gelatin.
Nihil Obstat Posted November 27, 2009 Author Posted November 27, 2009 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='27 November 2009 - 08:35 AM' timestamp='1259332509' post='2010219'] How old was the thread? Link? [/quote] May 25th of this year. [url="http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php?topic=3421341.0"]Don't click this link if rad trads are going to make you sad.[/url]
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 27, 2009 Posted November 27, 2009 Rad Trads: "We should all go back to the days of Pope Gregory XVI...the one who thought trains were evil. It's so much fun to condemn things for superiority's sake!"
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 27, 2009 Posted November 27, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='27 November 2009 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1259334080' post='2010227'] May 25th of this year. [url="http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php?topic=3421341.0"]Don't click this link if rad trads are going to make you sad.[/url] [/quote] Hehe...one of them said Bach was good...he was Lutheran! So Catholic rap is evil, but Lutheran hymns are good?
goldenchild17 Posted November 27, 2009 Posted November 27, 2009 I've got one foot in both worlds. People don't treat them very well either. It's been my experience that generally opposing viewpoints are rather ugly towards another. I've heard croutons about them from people of similar views to PM (and can see this thread going south quick if it continues as is). There are very solid Catholics on there who do have strict views of Catholicism, but they are allowed to believe some of this stuff as far as I can tell. Some of it may go too far, but I've seen plenty of stuff here and other forums that I would question as well. I'm not going to get into examples because I don't want to go down that road, but its just the way of any public forum. If you don't like the forum then stick to the main site which as far as I know is solid (even though probably not in the same charism as many people here).
Vincent Vega Posted November 27, 2009 Posted November 27, 2009 [quote name='Raphael' date='27 November 2009 - 10:14 AM' timestamp='1259334866' post='2010231'] Hehe...one of them said Bach was good...he was Lutheran! So Catholic rap is evil, but Lutheran hymns are good? [/quote] I thought the exact same thing. "Blahblahblah...only chant and plainsong should be used as a vehicle to teach the Truths of the Church. Now that's good Catholic music. That and Bach!" And I was like uhwuhhh?
Nihil Obstat Posted November 27, 2009 Author Posted November 27, 2009 A bunch of them like death metal, which is super weird.
Brother Adam Posted November 27, 2009 Posted November 27, 2009 I just printed off the old rite for baptism to prep for our child's baptism in March.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now