Saint Therese Posted November 29, 2009 Posted November 29, 2009 They had a swimming pool by the stage and a disco ball. Also the guy (preacher?) said that God had "three parts". Other than that I found it to be uneventful. Anyone else go to a non Catholic church this weekend?
Veridicus Posted November 29, 2009 Posted November 29, 2009 [quote name='Saint Therese' date='29 November 2009 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1259526097' post='2011213'] They had a swimming pool by the stage and a disco ball. Also the guy (preacher?) said that God had "three parts". Other than that I found it to be uneventful. Anyone else go to a non Catholic church this weekend? [/quote] Why bother? Last time I was in a non-Catholic Church on a Sunday was for my niece's baptism at a Methodist Church. If a sacrament hadn't been celebrated I wouldn't have been there. That's kinda become my rule; I only attend Protestant services to support my family/friendds in the celebration of a sacrament the Catholic Church legitimizes.
Saint Therese Posted November 29, 2009 Author Posted November 29, 2009 I'm going to Mass later. i would never go to a non catholic service instaed of Mass.
Veridicus Posted November 29, 2009 Posted November 29, 2009 [quote name='Saint Therese' date='29 November 2009 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1259527769' post='2011287'] I'm going to Mass later. i would never go to a non catholic service instaed of Mass. [/quote] That's good to hear. I wouldn't presume that of anyone on here. That methodist service I went to was decent in terms of not being wildly wacky or flamboyant. It was earily similar to the NO actually.
Varg Posted November 29, 2009 Posted November 29, 2009 [quote name='Saint Therese' date='29 November 2009 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1259526097' post='2011213'] They had a swimming pool by the stage [/quote] Isn't that called a font?
PaladinSoG Posted November 29, 2009 Posted November 29, 2009 I went to a methods church and a baptist church a long [i]long[/i] time ago, but don't really remember much. Those were times when I went with friends and a few times was with my parents before we had located the Catholic Church in the area. Even after I go to a Protestant church I still always go to a Catholic Church for Sunday mass. Never been to a pentecostal church, though I've heard a great deal of horror stories from friends. People speaking in tongues, jumping off walls, diving through windows and such. I only take such stories with a grain of salt but they make for interesting stories none the less.
Saint Therese Posted November 29, 2009 Author Posted November 29, 2009 (edited) When we sat down and I saw the swimmin' pool I asked my neice if we were going swimming. She didn't think it was too funny. I sure did, though!! I kept imagining what would happen if I just ran up there during the sermon and jumped in the pool. Edited November 29, 2009 by Saint Therese
Veridicus Posted November 29, 2009 Posted November 29, 2009 [quote name='Varg' date='29 November 2009 - 03:52 PM' timestamp='1259527971' post='2011294'] Isn't that called a font? [/quote] WATER HOLE!
Saint Therese Posted November 29, 2009 Author Posted November 29, 2009 I also kept wondering why they had a disco ball.
Saint Therese Posted November 29, 2009 Author Posted November 29, 2009 [quote name='PaladinSoG' date='29 November 2009 - 03:54 PM' timestamp='1259528048' post='2011298'] I went to a methods church and a baptist church a long [i]long[/i] time ago, but don't really remember much. Those were times when I went with friends and a few times was with my parents before we had located the Catholic Church in the area. Even after I go to a Protestant church I still always go to a Catholic Church for Sunday mass. Never been to a pentecostal church, though I've heard a great deal of horror stories from friends. People speaking in tongues, jumping off walls, diving through windows and such. I only take such stories with a grain of salt but they make for interesting stories none the less. [/quote] I've seen stuff almost that crazy at lifeteen "Masses", so I can believe its true of non Catholic churches.
Nihil Obstat Posted November 29, 2009 Posted November 29, 2009 [quote name='Saint Therese' date='29 November 2009 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1259528311' post='2011305'] I also kept wondering why they had a disco ball. [/quote] The holy relics of St. John Travolta?
Saint Therese Posted November 29, 2009 Author Posted November 29, 2009 [quote]Action failed: You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day[/quote] Nuf said!
Veridicus Posted November 29, 2009 Posted November 29, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='29 November 2009 - 04:01 PM' timestamp='1259528519' post='2011312'] The holy relics of St. John Travolta? [/quote] May the powerful intercessions of John Travolta protect Pentocostalism and Scientology. And if not, may he fly above the Earth and immolate their enemies with fireballs from his eyes.
Saint Therese Posted November 29, 2009 Author Posted November 29, 2009 (edited) Did you see that pic of John Travolta kissing another dude on the mouth? [mod]edit-- mature content[/mod] Edited November 30, 2009 by homeschoolmom
Veridicus Posted November 29, 2009 Posted November 29, 2009 Why couldn't you have just posted a link. My eyes...MY EYES!
PaladinSoG Posted November 29, 2009 Posted November 29, 2009 [quote name='Saint Therese' date='29 November 2009 - 04:01 PM' timestamp='1259528499' post='2011311'] I've seen stuff almost that crazy at lifeteen "Masses", so I can believe its true of non Catholic churches. [/quote] Yea I had a friend who went with his step mom to a pentecostal church. He said he hid in the corner while people jumped across pews and swung from the lights. Probably a tad bit exaggerated on his part but none the less, funny to hear.
BG45 Posted November 29, 2009 Posted November 29, 2009 [quote name='Saint Therese' date='29 November 2009 - 04:21 PM' timestamp='1259526097' post='2011213'] They had a swimming pool by the stage and a disco ball. Also the guy (preacher?) said that God had "three parts". Other than that I found it to be uneventful. Anyone else go to a non Catholic church this weekend? [/quote] I actually skipped out on a family tradition today of "hanging of the greens" at an aunt's church. She moved to Florida years ago, and we've continued to go out of tradition (and the fact we make up almost 1/5 of the congregation by showing up on this day). However I didn't want to go through the drama of not taking Communion, as well as the fact the new minister is a tad...undeserving of the title. He has a PhD, but flaunted his ignorance in every possible way last time I went, managed to screw up several times compared to the bulletin listed schedule, had signs for applause and "Hallelujah"s, etc. So I should've gone as a family tradition, but didn't.
PaladinSoG Posted November 29, 2009 Posted November 29, 2009 As with the picture above, SIR HAVE YOU NO DECENCY! I agree with Veridicus why would you do such a thing, make a link! [b] [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showuser=3303"][/url][/b]
Sojourner Posted November 29, 2009 Posted November 29, 2009 [quote name='Saint Therese' date='29 November 2009 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1259528166' post='2011301'] When we sat down and I saw the swimmin' pool I asked my neice if we were going swimming. She didn't think it was too funny. I sure did, though!! I kept imagining what would happen if I just ran up there during the sermon and jumped in the pool. [/quote] She probably didn't think that was funny because that is where they do baptisms (by immersion) ... which we, as Catholics, would most likely accept as valid. My baptism (as a Presbyterian) was valid, and I certainly wouldn't have appreciated a Catholic coming in and mocking the way we engaged in a sacrament just because the manner of celebration was unfamiliar to that person. Protestants do get it right sometimes. They are, after all, "separated brethren."
Recommended Posts