Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Went To A Non Catholic Church


Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='29 November 2009 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1259529987' post='2011341']
She probably didn't think that was funny because that is where they do baptisms (by immersion) ... which we, as Catholics, would most likely accept as valid. My baptism (as a Presbyterian) was valid, and I certainly wouldn't have appreciated a Catholic coming in and mocking the way we engaged in a sacrament just because the manner of celebration was unfamiliar to that person.

Protestants do get it right sometimes. They are, after all, "separated brethren."
[/quote]

From my old Church's Easter album on Facebook.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2833_1033069800867_1649085165_134911_3597157_n.jpg

The stained glass with the Baptism of Christ is part of a hidden second level, directly under the stained glass was our pool for total immersions. :) (Note: The sanctuary did not look like that...entirely...while I was there.)

Saint Therese
Posted

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='29 November 2009 - 04:26 PM' timestamp='1259529987' post='2011341']
She probably didn't think that was funny because that is where they do baptisms (by immersion) ... which we, as Catholics, would most likely accept as valid. My baptism (as a Presbyterian) was valid, and I certainly wouldn't have appreciated a Catholic coming in and mocking the way we engaged in a sacrament just because the manner of celebration was unfamiliar to that person.

Protestants do get it right sometimes. They are, after all, "separated brethren."
[/quote]
Considering that she was texting throughtout the service, I don't think that was it. :mellow:

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='29 November 2009 - 05:12 PM' timestamp='1259532752' post='2011383']
Considering that she was texting throughtout the service, I don't think that was it. :mellow:
[/quote]

She was tele-converting people. Don't judge. :blink:









:D

Edited by Veridicus
Saint Therese
Posted
:lol:

One really wierd thing was that the preacher kept saying "God downloaded to me" some information or something. I thought that was odd.
homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='29 November 2009 - 04:26 PM' timestamp='1259529987' post='2011341']
She probably didn't think that was funny because that is where they do baptisms (by immersion) ... which we, as Catholics, would most likely accept as valid. My baptism (as a Presbyterian) was valid, and I certainly wouldn't have appreciated a Catholic coming in and mocking the way we engaged in a sacrament just because the manner of celebration was unfamiliar to that person.

Protestants do get it right sometimes. They are, after all, "separated brethren."
[/quote]
You said it better than I was about to.

This whole thread it lame.

Posted

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='29 November 2009 - 05:29 PM' timestamp='1259533770' post='2011403']
:lol:

One really wierd thing was that the preacher kept saying "God downloaded to me" some information or something. I thought that was odd.
[/quote]

Get with the times. God's on broadband now.

Saint Therese
Posted (edited)

Are you dissing the disco ball?? :shock:

[mod]edit--mature content[/mod]

Edited by homeschoolmom
Posted

That proves that their pastor is hip to the times, and ready to convert the younger generations in droves. :yes: That's why his attendance is tens of thousands of people per service, right?? :D

Saint Therese
Posted

It wasn't that many...less than at Mass at a fair sized church..

Saint Therese
Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='29 November 2009 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1259535480' post='2011428']
You said it better than I was about to.

This whole thread it lame.
[/quote]

I think any church that has a swimming pool by their stage is open to humorous discussion.

Posted

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='29 November 2009 - 06:16 PM' timestamp='1259536590' post='2011456']
I think any church that has a swimming pool by their stage is open to humorous discussion.
[/quote]
I'm seriously offended by this, despite the fact that I have never been a member of a group that primarily practiced baptism by immersion.

Even the Catechism states that "Baptism is performed in the most expressive way by triple immersion in the baptismal water. However, from ancient times it has also been able to be conferred by pouring the water three times over the candidate's head."

Continuing to refer to a baptismal font as a "swimming pool" and disparaging and mocking it as such is offensive -- especially since, as noted earlier, we accept most baptisms performed by Protestants as valid (the exception being non-Trinitarian baptisms). Whether you like it or not, a sacrament is conferred in that building, and we recognize it as a sacrament.

Posted (edited)

Could we please remove that picture? And if you are going to post a link to a disgusting picture designed to help us lose our appetites, please be HONEST about what it is and not mislead us.

EDIT: Never mind, I reported the post so that the needful can be done by those in authority.

Edited by Norseman82
homeschoolmom
Posted

From the phorum guidelines:

[quote]Negative Criticism of Other Religions
A post or comment that negatively criticizes (as opposed to constructively criticizes) a different religion in a way that is harmful to open ecumenical dialogue.

"The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter." Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church." - Catechism of the Catholic Church, 838


Mature Content
A post or comment that has a subject matter not appropriate for underage visitors. The moderators will be asked to use good judgment, so please use common sense. Note: This should not be confused with theological or intellectual restrictions--this guideline only applies to the subject--not the level of discussion.[/quote]

I've already had to edit twice for the second one... you are so very, very close to getting a warning for the first. Just saying....

Posted

[quote name='Norseman82' date='29 November 2009 - 06:12 PM' timestamp='1259539920' post='2011517']
Could we please remove that picture? And if you are going to post a link to a disgusting picture designed to help us lose our appetites, please be HONEST about what it is and not mislead us.

EDIT: Never mind, I reported the post so that the needful can be done by those in authority.
[/quote]
Thank you. :thumbsup:

KnightofChrist
Posted (edited)

x

Edited by KnightofChrist
Saint Therese
Posted

Wow. I think that's my first warning ever. Whoah!
Is it okay to refer to the disco ball as a "disco ball" or should I call it a "worship service lighting aid'?

HisChildForever
Posted

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='29 November 2009 - 09:28 PM' timestamp='1259548111' post='2011596']
Wow. I think that's my first warning ever. Whoah!
Is it okay to refer to the disco ball as a "disco ball" or should I call it a "worship service lighting aid'?
[/quote]

As long as you're being politically correct, it's all good.

Saint Therese
Posted

I don't believe in being politically correct.
At least I didn't call it a "water hole" like someone on here did.

HisChildForever
Posted

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='29 November 2009 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1259548814' post='2011605']
I don't believe in being politically correct.
[/quote]

I was being sarcastic. <_<

goldenchild17
Posted (edited)

I was about to post to say I was a little disturbed by this thread even considering it was not a Catholic Church, but then I remembered the fisheaters thread which was just as bad in my eyes, but involved disrespecting many people who were actually really Catholic (and yes I know a fair number of them were not in communion with Rome and that is a problem, but many/most there are). I'm glad to see some interference here to cut off the disrespect, but the fact that people are defending against disrespect of protestants and not doing so for other Catholics is very offensive to me.

just my little annoyance for the day. back to your regular programming :)

Edited by goldenchild17
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...