An Old School Catholic Message Board

Patron Saints 2010

Lil Red

+JMJ+[quote name='loveletslive' date='28 December 2009 - 08:46 PM' timestamp='1262058412' post='2027103']
i got st. teresa of the andes! haven't quite figured out why yet...other than she is the patron saint of young people in general and i am a college student. thanks lil red :)
[/quote]it's the Holy Ghost's fault. :mellow:

[quote name='Christie_M' date='28 December 2009 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1262062323' post='2027128']
can I still partisipate? this looks really interesting! :) mind if I PM you?
[/quote]yes, please pm me.

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='28 December 2009 - 10:18 PM' timestamp='1262063936' post='2027147']
What an awesome idea!

You can do me, if you want. I'm female, 28, in the health care profession, and having a few unpleasant dealings with the people in Human Resources (their fault, not mine!) I'm not sure if the Lord will lead me out of the country, for holiday or work this year (I really wanna escape New Zealand, but I need the Lord's blessings to do it!)
[/quote]i'd love to. :) would you mind pm'ing me your first name? thanks! :)

Happy_Catholic

[quote name='Raphael' date='29 December 2009 - 12:42 AM' timestamp='1262065345' post='2027154']
I'd love to move to a place as beautiful as New Zealand, except that a priest classmate of mine from there told me the Church is really suffering.
[/quote]

Well, it depends on how you class "suffering". The census shows people who tick the box Catholic have been stable for years. The protestant sects seem to be loosing numbers, while non-christian faiths are increasing - probably because of immigration, but a good majority of people are now saying they have no religion, which is always concerning.

New Zealand is a very secular nation, and religion is a "hobby" to a lot of people. Christian parties never surive in our political climate and it didn't help that the last Christian party, well, the leader of it molested children and got 9 years in jail. The latest idiot (cult leader) who is giving Chrisitanity a bad name is a chap called Brian Tamikhi of Destiny Church, he's now calling himself "King Brian" and people have to take oaths to him, and promise to bow to him and give him gifts. He lives in a mansion and demands his followers, who are lower socio economic individuals, tithe a significant portion of their money. I have a friend who's family has been sucked in and she's mad as heck about it because they can't afford to give to that manaic.

When peopel bring up religion in NZL, he's the idiot that peopel think of first.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='brightsadness' date='21 December 2009 - 01:24 PM' timestamp='1261419873' post='2024073']
The Holy Spirit via Lil Red gave me Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/pray.gif[/img]
[/quote]

you're gonna have to share her. :mellow:

[quote name='Lil Red' date='08 January 2010 - 03:06 PM' timestamp='1262981197' post='2032571']
+JMJ+
anybody have any stories or connections to share? :)
[/quote]

I got St Mary of Egypt. Her feast day is also the anniversary of the worst day of my life. Weird

[quote name='hot stuff' date='08 January 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1262981542' post='2032576']I got St Mary of Egypt. Her feast day is also the anniversary of the worst day of my life. Weird[/quote]+JMJ+
hmm, not exactly what i meant, but interesting nonetheless.

[quote name='Lil Red' date='08 January 2010 - 03:26 PM' timestamp='1262982407' post='2032587']
+JMJ+
hmm, not exactly what i meant, but interesting nonetheless.
[/quote]

I'm just sayin I don't think its coincidental

[quote name='hot stuff' date='08 January 2010 - 01:29 PM' timestamp='1262982552' post='2032590']
I'm just sayin I don't think its coincidental
[/quote]
+JMJ+
hmmm, what could it mean? (was she a martyr?)

[quote name='Lil Red' date='08 January 2010 - 03:31 PM' timestamp='1262982681' post='2032594']
+JMJ+
hmmm, what could it mean? (was she a martyr?)
[/quote]

nope

she was a trollop (you read the book)

[quote name='hot stuff' date='08 January 2010 - 01:36 PM' timestamp='1262983007' post='2032599']
nope

she was a trollop (you read the book)
[/quote]
+JMJ+
it's been awhile since i read the book, to be honest. :scratchhead: i remember something about her converting, and living in the desert, and being buried by a lion? or something like that. how did you like the book?

[quote name='Lil Red' date='08 January 2010 - 03:39 PM' timestamp='1262983148' post='2032601']
+JMJ+
it's been awhile since i read the book, to be honest. :scratchhead: i remember something about her converting, and living in the desert, and being buried by a lion? or something like that. how did you like the book?
[/quote]

all correct.

I kindled the book after you told me about it. So I was reading it literally seconds after getting her as my patron saint. (love the kindle) The book is fine but its not referenced. (Maybe they ignore that in the kindle edition) So I just kinda take the stories with a grain of salt.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='08 January 2010 - 01:43 PM' timestamp='1262983381' post='2032606']The book is fine but its not referenced. (Maybe they ignore that in the kindle edition) So I just kinda take the stories with a grain of salt.[/quote]
+JMJ+
did it not include the bibliography?

+JMJ+
don't know if you've seen this yet, hot stuff: http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/maryegypt.html