Noel's angel Posted December 24, 2009 Posted December 24, 2009 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8430118.stm Pope is celebrating the traditional Christmas Mass, despite being knocked down by a woman at the start of the service in St Peter's Basilica. The woman - who is said to be mentally unstable - jumped the security barriers as Benedict XVI entered the basilica, causing the pontiff to fall. The Pope appeared to be unhurt and recovered to lead the mass. The midnight service started two hours early because officials do not want the 82-year-old pontiff to get tired. Thousands of pilgrims have also gathered in Bethlehem to celebrate Christmas mass. Woman arrested The security incident involving the woman at St Peter's Basilica lasted only a few seconds. The Pope had to be helped up by the master of ceremonies at his side, the BBC's David Willey in Rome says. However, he quickly recovered his poise and passed into the basilica preceded by senior Vatican cardinals, our correspondent says. Benedict then delivered the Christmas homily in a firm voice. The woman who pushed the Pope also knocked down Cardinal Roger Etchegaray, who was taken to hospital for a check-up, Vatican spokesman Ciro Bedettini said. The woman - whose name was not immediately known - was later arrested by police. The Vatican said earlier that the decision to move the midnight Mass to 2200 (2100 GMT) was "to make Christmas a little less tiring for the Pope, who has many engagements". Pope Benedict XVI earlier appeared briefly at nightfall at the window of his studio to light a candle in a sign of peace.
Ash Wednesday Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 I find it really interesting that the Papal Mass is actually broadcast on Norwegian and Swedish television. Glad the Papa is ok.
littleflower+JMJ Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 This exact thing happened last time but the lady was stopped in time. I wish they would have more effective ways of protecting our Holy Father. I'm soooo glad that he is okay and I hope the Cardinal is okay as well but something needs to be changed if people are able to jump barriers and knock Pope Benedict down.
littleflower+JMJ Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 I read somewhere the Cardinal that was knocked down has a broken bone? If so, let's pray for him.
littleflower+JMJ Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/24/pope-knocked-down-by-woma_n_403331.html
Gregorius Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 This video shows what happened last year. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9lL0c2oL8w[/media] I'm glad the Holy Father is all right. I'm praying for Cardinal Etchegaray
King's Rook's Pawn Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 According to [url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_re_eu/eu_vatican_christmas"]this article[/url], the woman who jumped the barrier at the last Christmas Eve Mass and headed towards the Pope was wearing a hooded red sweat shirt and the woman [i]this[/i] year was wearing a hooded red sweat shirt! Coincidence? Copycat? Or something fishier? "...Benedettini said it was not immediately known if the same person was behind Thursday's incident."
jeffpugh Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 [quote name='Gregorius' date='24 December 2009 - 08:34 PM' timestamp='1261704853' post='2025693'] This video shows what happened last year. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9lL0c2oL8w[/media] I'm glad the Holy Father is all right. I'm praying for Cardinal Etchegaray [/quote] Il Papa didn't even break stride [quote name='King's Rook's Pawn' date='24 December 2009 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1261707357' post='2025705'] According to [url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_re_eu/eu_vatican_christmas"]this article[/url], the woman who jumped the barrier at the last Christmas Eve Mass and headed towards the Pope was wearing a hooded red sweat shirt and the woman [i]this[/i] year was wearing a hooded red sweat shirt! Coincidence? Copycat? Or something fishier? "...Benedettini said it was not immediately known if the same person was behind Thursday's incident." [/quote] Srsly? Citation needed.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 (edited) Do you remember the last time someone tried to get to him? I remember that the woman was also described as mentally unstable. I would be interested to know if she was described as schizophrenic or what exactly was disturbing her. We won't find out and probably rightfully so, confidentiality and all. The world shouldn't know personal things about the lives of others like that. It still interests me that "mentally disturbed" people keep trying to rush the pope... What we can be sure of though is he is a courageous, strong Papam who serves at the will of God. May God Bless him and let us all pray for him and for those people who have recently been tackled by the Swiss Guard. God knows I would not want to be "one of the lucky few" who have been tackled by a Swiss Guard, but may God bless all of them (those tackled and those tackling). Edited December 25, 2009 by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Old_Joe Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 [quote name='King's Rook's Pawn' date='24 December 2009 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1261707357' post='2025705'] According to [url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_re_eu/eu_vatican_christmas"]this article[/url], the woman who jumped the barrier at the last Christmas Eve Mass and headed towards the Pope was wearing a hooded red sweat shirt and the woman [i]this[/i] year was wearing a hooded red sweat shirt! Coincidence? Copycat? Or something fishier? "...Benedettini said it was not immediately known if the same person was behind Thursday's incident." [/quote] I was wondering that myself. Also, other than his assassination attempt, I don't remember ever hearing JPG having the same thing happen to him.
eagle_eye222001 Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 (edited) Glad he's alright. Edited December 25, 2009 by eagle_eye222001
elizabeth09 Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 (edited) Two things: One: Great video, eagle_eye222001. Two: I am glad that he is alright. Edited December 25, 2009 by elizabeth09
melporcristo Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 [url="http://www.zenit.org/rssenglish-27945"]Holy Father Unhurt, Cardinal broken leg[/url] [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nbCn38u1pQ"]Youtube post here[/url] ... I got a little upset from the carp peeps said about Papa, so had to give em my .02 ... in charity of course! [quote]VATICAN CITY, DEC. 24, 2009 (Zenit.org).- Benedict XVI is unhurt after he was knocked down tonight as he entered St. Peter's Basilica to celebrate the Christmas vigil Mass, reports a Vatican spokesman. Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi, director of the Vatican press office, told reporters that an "apparently unbalanced" woman jumped the barriers and ran toward the Pope and knocked him to the ground as he walked down the main aisle toward the altar. The woman also collided with Cardinal Roger Etchegaray, 87, who also fell to the ground. The Holy Father, 82, got back on his feet quickly. When seeing that the Pontiff recovered, the thousands who had gathered in the basilica for Mass cheered. Cardinal Etchegaray, who is the former president of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, was taken to the hospital for a check-up. The woman was seized by bodyguards and was arrested by the police and taken in for questioning. The Christmas vigil Mass was celebrated for the first time in recent memory at 10 p.m., instead of at midnight, in an effort to make Christmas "a little less tiring for the Pope."[/quote]
eagle_eye222001 Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 Don't get too discouraged or despair over Youtube comments. They are very well known for lacking intelligence and logic
melporcristo Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 JMJT I agree! I posted phatmass.com on there to give them a website to go to if they so pleased. Ha ha oh youtubers ...
Brother Adam Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 youtubers are almost worse than 4chan. You lose brain cells every time you read comments on either.
Jesus_lol Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 [quote name='melporcristo' date='24 December 2009 - 10:28 PM' timestamp='1261722523' post='2025798'] JMJT I agree! I posted phatmass.com on there to give them a website to go to if they so pleased. Ha ha oh youtubers ... [/quote] that was a bad idea. last thing we need is a bunch of youtube trolls.
littleflower+JMJ Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 OOh seeing someone doing that to the Holy Father makes me so MAD.
Nihil Obstat Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='25 December 2009 - 01:17 AM' timestamp='1261725440' post='2025813'] youtubers are almost worse than 4chan. You lose brain cells every time you read comments on either. [/quote] Dude, you read 4chan?? I'm afraid of all the porn.
CatherineM Posted December 25, 2009 Posted December 25, 2009 I'm more worried about the Cardinal. I heard he has a broken leg. At 87, that can be life-ending.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now