HisChildForever Posted January 3, 2010 Posted January 3, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='03 January 2010 - 04:10 PM' timestamp='1262553014' post='2029107'] Sure but that text message is still asinine. [/quote] Oh I completely agree. [quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='03 January 2010 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1262553066' post='2029108'] Plus One (If I had it ) [/quote] Thanks doll.
HisChildForever Posted January 3, 2010 Posted January 3, 2010 [quote name='hot stuff' date='03 January 2010 - 04:15 PM' timestamp='1262553317' post='2029110'] i think the real point deals with the line about rights being lost. Which if pressed won't end up about what rights that individual lost but more about what rights other groups gained. [/quote] Well, the reason why the person claims rights are being lost is because white people are no longer proud of their heritage for fear of being labelled racists. I see your point though.
Laudate_Dominum Posted January 3, 2010 Posted January 3, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='03 January 2010 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1262553387' post='2029112'] Oh I completely agree. Thanks doll. [/quote] +1 again. [spoiler][IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/YouRock1.jpg[/IMG][/spoiler]
Vincent Vega Posted January 3, 2010 Posted January 3, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='03 January 2010 - 04:20 PM' timestamp='1262553648' post='2029114'] Well, the reason why the person claims rights are being lost is because white people are no longer proud of their heritage for fear of being labelled racists. [/quote] I agree. While I think being proud of any skin colour is asinine (word of the day - AAHHHHHH!! (Peewee Hermann Show reference)), I don't think the same about being proud of heritage. Personally, I think heritage makes up a lot of what we are...it defines how we look, how we talk, in many cases our values and ethics, and so on and so forth. I'm proud of the immaterial things that I've inherited from my ancestors, and it gives me a real sense of who I am and a sense of connection to them to know that certain things about me are shared with them and can be traced back to them. That said, I can understand why blacks, at least in this country, might be just proud to be black. Unlike the sweeping majority of those of European descent in this country, there are not firm records (oral, legal, or otherwise) that show where many American blacks originated, due to the slave trade. They can't say, "Oh yes, my grandmother told me all about her childhood in northwest Togo." Further, the Africans, at least at the time of the slave trade, did not have strong national identities like the Europeans did. They belonged to looser coalitions, which were much more clan-like, I'd say, and did not have the overreaching identities in the same way as, say, how Englishmen would have their Englishness to unify them, even though they might have smaller units of identity, like being from Cornwall, Lincolnshire, or the Isle of Wight, for example, where cultural differences like language, cuisine, art, etc. would still give them unique qualities.
ThePenciledOne Posted January 3, 2010 Posted January 3, 2010 (edited) I think the fact that any sort of race is still brought up today is idiotic. If we really have gotten past such things as 'racism' and 'prejudice' then colors and etc. would never be mentioned Edited January 3, 2010 by ThePenciledOne
zunshynn Posted January 3, 2010 Posted January 3, 2010 [quote name='ThePenciledOne' date='03 January 2010 - 02:54 PM' timestamp='1262555657' post='2029124'] I think the fact that any sort of race is still brought up today is idiotic. If we really have gotten past such things as 'racism' and 'prejudice' then colors and etc. would never be mentioned [/quote] You have got to be kidding me. If we ignored race entirely archaeologists would not be able to piece together very much of the world's history. Race plays an important role in understanding the movement of prehistoric nomadic peoples, the development of language, etc. For example, skeletons have been discovered recently... I'm thinking particularly Kennewick Man, but there are others, that have drastically affected what we know about North American history. While it had always been believed that no one came to North America during the Ice Age, his age, and the fact that he was clearly not a close relative of other Native Americans at the time, proved otherwise. How did they come to that conclusion? Because they studied the shape of his head, an attribute of his race. Is that racist or prejudiced because they looked at that? Of course not! If they had ignored that because "we're all the same, race doesn't matter" they would not have discovered that man's origins were not Indo-European, but actually Ainu... northeast Asia. There are countless circumstances where, without the study of racial differences, our understanding of history would be critically flawed. The fact is that for thousands of years, people associated themselves with those racially like themselves. As a result, their cultures were formed and the associations between them and other peoples takes on a historical significance. But hey, let's just let the study of history go by the wayside because it's not nice to talk about the external differences between peoples.
CatherineM Posted January 3, 2010 Posted January 3, 2010 I guess I do a white pride thing every Spring. It's called St. Patrick's Day. I also used to celebrate my Czech blood by making kolaches for the festival back home. I celebrate my Anglo Saxon blood at Renaissance festivals.
Resurrexi Posted January 3, 2010 Posted January 3, 2010 (edited) I don't think there exists a collective "white" culture as much as there exist distinct Italian, French, German, etc. cultures. Edited January 4, 2010 by Resurrexi
MIKolbe Posted January 4, 2010 Posted January 4, 2010 I am proud of my Italian heritage. I am proud of my American heritage. And on days I feel like giving up, I am proud of my French heritage.
HisChildForever Posted January 4, 2010 Posted January 4, 2010 [quote name='Resurrexi' date='03 January 2010 - 06:56 PM' timestamp='1262562961' post='2029158'] I don't think there exists a collective "white" culture as much as there exist distinct Italian, French, German, etc. cultures. [/quote] The same can be said of black, Latino, Asian, Middle Eastern, etc. culture.
Jaime Posted January 4, 2010 Posted January 4, 2010 [quote name='MIkolbe' date='03 January 2010 - 07:04 PM' timestamp='1262563479' post='2029161'] I am proud of my Italian heritage. I am proud of my American heritage. And on days I feel like giving up, I am proud of my French heritage. [/quote] I thought you said your relatives were thrown out of those countries.
KeenanParkerII Posted January 4, 2010 Posted January 4, 2010 It depends on the intent of the message. Does this person genuinely care about being proud of their skin colour, or was it sent out of bitterness, or simply to be abrasive. When it comes down to it, I like being white. I think white people are pretty beautiful and in the grand scheme of things, they have accomplished quite a bit.<3
Hassan Posted January 4, 2010 Posted January 4, 2010 The identification of 'white pride' with racism isn't come mysterious double-standard, it's a reaction to the long, historical association of the vocabulary with white supremacist groups. Historically, the use of the term 'white power, pride, society et cetera' is the rhetoric of the majority in affirming their superiority against minority groups. It's is pretty recent that the term 'white' has been a simple reference to skin shade levels. If you look at Benjamin Franklin's letter about the German immigrants who voted against some measure he supported it's clear he did not consider those German immigrants 'white'. Jews were not considered white until quite recently. In fact there is a book about antisemitism entitled "How the Jews Became White" or something like that. White supremacist movements in the US never considered Slavs white. In Yugoslavia both Bosnian Muslims and Orthodox Serbs are Slavs and would, in terms of skin color, be considered white by American standards. If you look at the rhetoric Serbia radio statios played at the time, inciting Bosniaks to flee, one of the lines of a popular chant was "Make way for the white Serb race". The reason people associate rallying calls involving appeals to 'white pride' or 'white power' or whatever with racism is exactly because that is so commonly how the term is used in both historical and contemporary usage. People considered white can express pride in their national origins without any stains of racism. But identifying themselves as generically 'white' in an assertive way is probably going to make other people, for good reasons, suspect they have affiliations or sympathies with racism. From purely anecdotal experience, I know that everyone I know who has made this complaint, and I've been hearing it since some kid in my middle school with a belt buckle with the Confederate pledge of allegiance written on his belt buckle, was in fact an outright racist or had real sympathy with racist movements.
melporcristo Posted January 4, 2010 Posted January 4, 2010 (edited) JMJT You could always send an invite to your family member for the March for Life. I'm sorry, I just think any type of classification based on the color of your skin is wrong (brown pride, etc.). I never consider myself brown - I consider myself Mexican. This message sounds too extreme to me. As mentioned before, millions of our brothers and sisters regardless of race or skin color are being killed silently each day through Abortion. A march just because of your skin color isn't going to help ease the pain felt when being called a racist. Edited January 4, 2010 by melporcristo
Resurrexi Posted January 4, 2010 Posted January 4, 2010 (edited) [quote name='HisChildForever' date='03 January 2010 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1262564258' post='2029164'] The same can be said of black, Latino, Asian, Middle Eastern, etc. culture. [/quote] Certainly. A black person whose ancestors have lived in Ethiopia for centuries has little in common culturally with a black person whose ancestors have lived in the United States for many years. Edited January 4, 2010 by Resurrexi
Laudate_Dominum Posted January 4, 2010 Posted January 4, 2010 I am actually a toon like Roger Rabbit and all those ppl. Toon pride ftw!
Sternhauser Posted January 4, 2010 Posted January 4, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='03 January 2010 - 09:21 PM' timestamp='1262571718' post='2029227'] I am actually a toon like Roger Rabbit and all those ppl. Toon pride ftw! [/quote] "Roger Rabbit" [i]qua[/i] individual, and "culture" in the same sentence? I think there's a third term missing there. Like a petri dish. ~Sternhauser Edited January 4, 2010 by Sternhauser
Lilllabettt Posted January 4, 2010 Posted January 4, 2010 [quote name='zunshynn' date='03 January 2010 - 06:12 PM' timestamp='1262556763' post='2029130'] You have got to be kidding me. If we ignored race entirely archaeologists would not be able to piece together very much of the world's history. [/quote] Okay ... maybe historically there is something we might call "race." Although I think that is an inappropriate word. It's not race, its geography. Its simply a bunch of people who happened to live near one another, in isolation from others. Because of those circumstances, they mated with each other and passed on their genes. I don't know of any legitimate biological anthropologists walking around today who ascribe to race theory of genetics. There is no "black" gene or "black" gene cluster. The gene frequencies are basically the same. If you take two black men and a white man, there will probably be greater differences between the black men then between either black man and the white man. Since people nowadays don't live in isolation from one another, the concept of race is utterly meaningless. Being white is not part of my "heritage." It is a pure accident that I have this level of melanin in my system, since my genetic background is doubtless composed of "browner" elements. "Race" (if thats the word you want to use to describe ancient geographical proximity and relative isolation) is an academic curiosity and intellectual interest ... but thats it. The average person would do well to ignore it.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now