Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

ThePenciledOne
Posted

[quote name='zunshynn' date='03 January 2010 - 06:12 PM' timestamp='1262556763' post='2029130']
You have got to be kidding me. If we ignored race entirely archaeologists would not be able to piece together very much of the world's history. Race plays an important role in understanding the movement of prehistoric nomadic peoples, the development of language, etc.

For example, skeletons have been discovered recently... I'm thinking particularly Kennewick Man, but there are others, that have drastically affected what we know about North American history. While it had always been believed that no one came to North America during the Ice Age, his age, and the fact that he was clearly not a close relative of other Native Americans at the time, proved otherwise. How did they come to that conclusion? Because they studied the shape of his head, an attribute of his race. Is that racist or prejudiced because they looked at that? Of course not! If they had ignored that because "we're all the same, race doesn't matter" they would not have discovered that man's origins were not Indo-European, but actually Ainu... northeast Asia.

There are countless circumstances where, without the study of racial differences, our understanding of history would be critically flawed. The fact is that for thousands of years, people associated themselves with those racially like themselves. As a result, their cultures were formed and the associations between them and other peoples takes on a historical significance.

But hey, let's just let the study of history go by the wayside because it's not nice to talk about the external differences between peoples.
[/quote]


You are referring to biological things, I was more referencing the social and society viewpoint on race and etc.

Happy_Catholic
Posted (edited)

Its kind of like that "gay pride", "straight pride" thing.

I love that I always win the "pastiest, whitest chick" contest amongst my darker skin friends, and that if the zombies attacked, a bit of tomato sauce down my front and I'd fit right in. But my pride for being white isn't exactly a gleaming example when I get burnt after being outside in the sun for five minutes, or the future I'm aware may be full of skin cancers.

From a genetic stand point, we really need to darken up the skins.

From a social POV: can we really be "white proud"? Black people and Latino people, they have their own cultures, whereas white people, we have sort of lost what cultures we've had. I'm more for people celebrating being Irish or Australian as opposed to "white".

Edited by Happy_Catholic
Posted

[quote name='Hassan' date='03 January 2010 - 09:00 PM' timestamp='1262566835' post='2029182']
The identification of 'white pride' with racism isn't come mysterious double-standard, it's a reaction to the long, historical association of the vocabulary with white supremacist groups.[/quote]

Unfortunately, this rings true with some of my experiences. I've been told that 'skin-heads' are just hard-working folks who aren't against anybody by some younging who associated with them. And, I saw a HBO documentary in the 90's with some Klan-type saying that he just wants whites to be proud of themselves and not much else. It was a creepy thing to watch that. The guy got all choked up and cried on camera when a young follower told him that his presence and stare were like that of Adolph Hitler.

That said, there are anti-white people who would just say that they are proud to be black or something.

Posted

[quote name='hot stuff' date='03 January 2010 - 02:33 PM' timestamp='1262547225' post='2029060']
I'd respond with this

"Tell me exactly what rights I've lost because I'm white and I will pass this along to everyone in my phone"
[/quote]

This is a sad post, but the truth of the matter is whites have lost much of their freedom of speech. Before you jump on me consider Rush Limbaugh lost a job as announcer on NFL football because he stated "That people are desirous of seeing a black quaterback succeeding in the NFL" this seemingly harmless statement cost him a paycheck, he obviously did not need it though. As a white person I do not use the "N" word, but it is now a hate crime for me to do so if I ever wanted to, although the black community uses it frequently? Is this a double standard, seems so. Many have said the black community has earned that right, it seems they have the right to use hate speech aimed at whites, even hate speech from the pulpit aimed at America using the name of God in vain as a curseword, remember the Rev Wright our Presidents preacher in his G** dam America pulpit delivery.

Freedom of speech does not guarantee you freedom from reprecussions for your speech but it is supposed to allow you to say what you want legally, well folks we have lost that right under the hate crimes act.

ed

Posted

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='03 January 2010 - 01:14 PM' timestamp='1262549688' post='2029086']
How to respond? Perhaps you could point out the complete and utter asininity of emulating the asinine behavior of [i]anyone[/i] who is "proud" of the fact that he happened to be born with any particular level of melatonin.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
Mole Pride! :smokey:

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='04 January 2010 - 12:50 AM' timestamp='1262584212' post='2029390']
This is a sad post, but the truth of the matter is whites have lost much of their freedom of speech. Before you jump on me consider Rush Limbaugh lost a job as announcer on NFL football because he stated "That people are desirous of seeing a black quaterback succeeding in the NFL" this seemingly harmless statement cost him a paycheck, he obviously did not need it though. As a white person I do not use the "N" word, but it is now a hate crime for me to do so if I ever wanted to, although the black community uses it frequently? Is this a double standard, seems so. Many have said the black community has earned that right, it seems they have the right to use hate speech aimed at whites, even hate speech from the pulpit aimed at America using the name of God in vain as a curseword, remember the Rev Wright our Presidents preacher in his G** dam America pulpit delivery.

Freedom of speech does not guarantee you freedom from reprecussions for your speech but it is supposed to allow you to say what you want legally, well folks we have lost that right under the hate crimes act.

ed
[/quote]


One, Rush Limbaugh was fired by the company her worked for. That's the private marketplace.

Secondly there is no law stating that it is a hatecrime for a white person to use the 'n-word'

Edited by Hassan
Archaeology cat
Posted

[quote name='hot stuff' date='04 January 2010 - 01:16 AM' timestamp='1262567782' post='2029187']
I'm proud to be carbon based
[/quote]
Oh sure, discriminate against the Horta.

Posted

I'm just happy to be Christian and proud to be Catholic. I don't think it would matter to me what race or color I was if I had missed out on knowing and loving Jesus. As a convert to both Christianity and Catholicism, I can only say that over and over again, what else matters? I could be red, white and blue, black, yellow or green, but if I didn't know Him, then none of it would matter at all. I am so grateful just to be a human being who knows and loves sweet Jesus, her Lord and Savior. :love:

Posted

[quote name='nunsense' date='04 January 2010 - 05:59 AM' timestamp='1262602766' post='2029440']
I'm just happy to be Christian and proud to be Catholic. I don't think it would matter to me what race or color I was if I had missed out on knowing and loving Jesus. As a convert to both Christianity and Catholicism, I can only say that over and over again, what else matters? I could be red, white and blue, black, yellow or green, but if I didn't know Him, then none of it would matter at all. I am so grateful just to be a human being who knows and loves sweet Jesus, her Lord and Savior. :love:
[/quote]

Dude, that's awesome. +1 if I had any.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='04 January 2010 - 05:21 AM' timestamp='1262600515' post='2029433']
Oh sure, discriminate against the Horta.
[/quote]
win. +1

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='04 January 2010 - 12:50 AM' timestamp='1262584212' post='2029390']
Is this a double standard, seems so. Many have said the black community has earned that right, it seems they have the right to use hate speech aimed at whites, even hate speech from the pulpit aimed at America using the name of God in vain as a curseword, remember the Rev Wright our Presidents preacher in his G** dam America pulpit delivery.

ed
[/quote]

That wasn't hate speech, and it wasn't using God's name in vain. Did you read the whole sermon? It was dramatic, yes, but it was a dramatic contradiction of the saccharine, vain idea that no matter what, "God will bless America." The preacher was condemning the presumption and wickedness of Americans, saying America did not [i]deserve[/i] to be blessed.

This preacher's words weren't much different from Hosea's, when he said that Israel was going around with a harlot. Hosea's words weren't welcomed by the majority, either.

While not referring to you and your consternation at the preacher's words, as I don't think you understood the context, Ed, any condemnation of the wicked aspects of American culture seems to be considered blasphemy among some "Christians." That's a problem.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser
Posted

[quote name='Arpy' date='04 January 2010 - 03:03 AM' timestamp='1262592232' post='2029430']
Mole Pride! :smokey:
[/quote]

Hm. That's just kind of gross. I guess I'll have to say that I'm an unabashed moleist.

~Sternhauser

Posted

[quote name='nunsense' date='04 January 2010 - 03:59 AM' timestamp='1262602766' post='2029440']
I'm just happy to be Christian and proud to be Catholic. I don't think it would matter to me what race or color I was if I had missed out on knowing and loving Jesus. As a convert to both Christianity and Catholicism, I can only say that over and over again, what else matters? I could be red, white and blue, black, yellow or green, but if I didn't know Him, then none of it would matter at all. I am so grateful just to be a human being who knows and loves sweet Jesus, her Lord and Savior. :love:
[/quote]
+JMJ+
so true. :) something else I thought of was Galatians 3:27-29:

27
For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free person, there is not male and female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
29
And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendant, heirs according to the promise.

Posted

White isn't a race.

Posted

I would say respond by saying: Racist.


But that is me and my family members and friends would expect me to do that.

Posted

The term is overused in its various forms. The vast majority of people seem to be prejudiced against one group or another due to experience--either direct or indirect. This is not racism, though its effects can be terrible. Identifying with a group based simply upon morphology and then having pride in that group is asinine. What makes it even worse is that we're usually only talking about skin color. What most people have pride in is their culture, sometimes their heritage according to country. Having pride in ones heritage needs to be a bit more specific than a continent. "African-American" is not a race. I know white skinned African Americans. The term is basically worthless as used in the US and it's dumb. European American is likewise idiotic. Asian slightly less so but still stupid. "White pride" is as meaningless and vapid as "black pride"--the skin colors mean nothing in and of themselves, rather we identify with a culture. Racism takes thought and dedication and most everyone can suss out a racist belief or tendency in himself, even if he is not conciously aware or it. I've said all this before, but it is frustrating to see ninnies run off with words and destroy their meaning. This has been done with all the supposed racial terms and the philosophy surrounding identification of racism. It's murdered thought, murdered personal accountability and murdered common sense. It's made the problems between skin colors even worse and it's given a convenient excuse to idiots for the consequences of their idiocy. It's sloppy and stupid.

The white pride thing in my experience seems to travel with some bizarre alarmist ideas, more so than the black pride stuff, which is dumb and permits things like the reelection of Ray Nagin, who was responsible for New Orleans not having an evacuation plan in place for the hurricane. Bush haters don't bother, you know the federal government is not in charge of developing local emergency plans (though FEMA will provide assistance and guidance).

Nihil Obstat
Posted

There's only two things I hate: people who are intolerant of other cultures, and the Dutch.

Posted

Yeah, baby, yeah!

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

For some reason I chuckle every time I see the title of this thread. hehe. Be proud of your whiteness! I can understand being proud of one's African American heritage, or proud of being of Irish descent or whatever, or even proud of being English, but what in tarnation is white pride? Sounds like KKK stuff.

Posted

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='04 January 2010 - 09:56 PM' timestamp='1262660207' post='2029891']
For some reason I chuckle every time I see the title of this thread. hehe. Be proud of your whiteness! I can understand being proud of one's African American heritage, or proud of being of Irish descent or whatever, or even proud of being English, but what in tarnation is white pride? Sounds like KKK stuff.
[/quote]
We invented baseball and pickup trucks.

Qadafi and Mandela, both African. It's too broad a term. Stop it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...