southern california guy Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 Hopefully my questions and answers are worded well enough to get a good poll. I'm sure that you guys can think up more questions but at least this is a start.
Nihil Obstat Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 (edited) I don't think your answers are exhaustive, but I answered the best I could. For instance, I don't care about 'bad' sermons, as long as they aren't heretical. Edited January 15, 2010 by Nihil Obstat
HisChildForever Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='14 January 2010 - 10:50 PM' timestamp='1263527404' post='2037452'] For instance, I don't care about 'bad' sermons, as long as they aren't heretical. [/quote] I agree. Also, I feel the questions about mothers were too black-and-white. For instance, a mother can have a part-time job that finishes when the kids get out of school and therefore she's home to look after them. Of course the kids have to be old enough to be in school for a full day, but you get what I mean.
Resurrexi Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 It would be more correct if the poll stated "no [i]artificial[/i] contraception".
tojo Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 The question about kids has answers that are too extreme. It's best if mom can stay home, and while I won't say the kids should be put in daycare, that's not saying that they should not either.
OraProMe Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 This is an odd poll. If someone is too lazy to go to Mass except for Easter and Christmas then why would they post on a catholic forum? Among others....
Thy Geekdom Come Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 Several of these questions are not properly nuanced. Also, Vatican II did not in any way lead to a rise in divorce, but there is strong support for the argument that contraception did.
Resurrexi Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 [quote name='OraProMe' date='14 January 2010 - 11:24 PM' timestamp='1263529472' post='2037476'] This is an odd poll. If someone is too lazy to go to Mass except for Easter and Christmas then why would they post on a catholic forum? Among others.... [/quote] Perhaps because they have an interest in theological matters? My father has a tenant who (so he tells me) spends lots of time reading about Catholic matters and has a strong preference for the EF, but who hasn't darkened a church door in years.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 [quote name='Resurrexi' date='14 January 2010 - 11:00 PM' timestamp='1263528007' post='2037460'] It would be more correct if the poll stated "no [i]artificial[/i] contraception". [/quote] Careful. All contraception is immoral (and it's all artificial). Not all [i]birth control[/i] is artificial or immoral. Not all birth control is contraception. Contraceptive birth control, which is always artificial, is always wrong.
Resurrexi Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Raphael' date='14 January 2010 - 11:27 PM' timestamp='1263529624' post='2037481'] Careful. All contraception is immoral (and it's all artificial). Not all birth control is artificial or immoral. [/quote] I was under the impression that NFP was considered to be natural contraception. Perhaps I was mistaken. Edited January 15, 2010 by Resurrexi
Hilde Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 I think I might not have read the questions well enough. On the last one in the first one i think it's relative though. So I voted neither.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 [quote name='Resurrexi' date='14 January 2010 - 11:28 PM' timestamp='1263529697' post='2037482'] I was under the impression that NFP was considered to be natural contraception. Perhaps I was mistaken. [/quote] Natural birth control. Contraception is against conception in the sense of placing something in the way of it...NFP, when used to avoid conception, doesn't place anything in the way of conception, it just keeps conception from being a possibility all together. NFP can be used with a contraceptive mentality, though, but that doesn't make it inherently contraceptive. I was mostly just splitting hairs for the sake of being argumentative, but it is a careful distinction I find myself making with my high school students.
southern california guy Posted January 15, 2010 Author Posted January 15, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='14 January 2010 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1263527404' post='2037452'] I don't think your answers are exhaustive, but I answered the best I could. [/quote] You're right. Making a poll was harder than I thought it would be. I'm surprised at how much I left out.. Maybe I should have posted on the debate board. And I did make a few embarrassing mistakes, but this is the first time I tried to make a poll so I didn't understand everything. [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='14 January 2010 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1263527404' post='2037452'] For instance, I don't care about 'bad' sermons, as long as they aren't heretical. [/quote] I've heard a few that seemed a little heretical -- to me. But this was back in the '70's and '80's up in Washington State. Honestly I almost choose the church based on the sermon. If I hear a priest give a good sermon, than I'll probably be back! Edited January 15, 2010 by southern california guy
southern california guy Posted January 15, 2010 Author Posted January 15, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='14 January 2010 - 08:53 PM' timestamp='1263527626' post='2037457'] I agree. Also, I feel the questions about mothers were too black-and-white. For instance, a mother can have a part-time job that finishes when the kids get out of school and therefore she's home to look after them. Of course the kids have to be old enough to be in school for a full day, but you get what I mean. [/quote] I agree. I think I just didn't word it quite right.
tinytherese Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 Also, some mothers work at home or there are stay at home dads. Not to mention, daycare isn't immoral. Some families just can't afford to live off of one income.
Norseman82 Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 There really should have been an option "Novus Ordo is fine if done according to the rubrics and proper care is taken with the Eucharist".
Jesus_lol Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 [quote name='Resurrexi' date='14 January 2010 - 08:26 PM' timestamp='1263529575' post='2037480'] Perhaps because they have an interest in theological matters? My father has a tenant who (so he tells me) spends lots of time reading about Catholic matters and has a strong preference for the EF, but who hasn't darkened a church door in years. [/quote] i am afraid to say that this applies to me pretty well. but then, im not really sure which church door i should be darkening. and i tried voting on the ethics part, but since i didnt put down an answer for which kind of catholic services/etc i think is right(as i am not a catholic) it didnt let me vote at all
Christie_M Posted January 15, 2010 Posted January 15, 2010 [quote name='Jesus_lol' date='15 January 2010 - 01:12 AM' timestamp='1263543135' post='2037622'].... and i tried voting on the ethics part, but since i didnt put down an answer for which kind of catholic services/etc i think is right(as i am not a catholic) it didnt let me vote at all [/quote] vote for the "traditional"/latin. can't go wrong there
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now