ardillacid Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='17 January 2010 - 04:03 PM' timestamp='1263762226' post='2039228'] It was just brought to my attention that you can see who voted for what if you click the "view" next to vote amounts. I have to say that I am shocked to see that some Catholics voted in favor of abortion in legal cases, as well as a question on contraception. [/quote] There is at least one Church Faithful on here that has stated that abortion should be legal
HisChildForever Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='notardillacid' date='17 January 2010 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1263774174' post='2039355'] There is at least one Church Faithful on here that has stated that abortion should be legal [/quote] It seems that more than one Catholic has voted in favor of abortion and contraception, according to this poll. I see a Catholic voting in favor of premarital sex as well.
Veridicus Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 txdinghysailor voted for every option. this is why scientific polls have margins of error.
Ash Wednesday Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 (edited) double post. Edited January 18, 2010 by Ash Wednesday
Ash Wednesday Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='notardillacid' date='17 January 2010 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1263774174' post='2039355'] There is at least one Church Faithful on here that has stated that abortion should be legal [/quote] Yeah...that poll's not really anonymous.
HisChildForever Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='17 January 2010 - 08:34 PM' timestamp='1263778472' post='2039399'] Yeah...that poll's not really anonymous. [/quote] I wish those people would explain themselves.
southern california guy Posted January 18, 2010 Author Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='Veridicus' date='17 January 2010 - 06:22 PM' timestamp='1263777767' post='2039393'] txdinghysailor voted for every option. this is why scientific polls have margins of error. [/quote] This topic's gotten a lot more views than votes (About 559 views but only something like 50 votes). So perhaps I didn't work up the best poll. It would probably be better if somebody else wrote another poll and we tried to see if we could get more votes in order to get a better picture.
Ash Wednesday Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='southern california guy' date='17 January 2010 - 08:35 PM' timestamp='1263778538' post='2039402'] This topic's gotten a lot more views than votes (About 559 views but only something like 50 votes). So perhaps I didn't work up the best poll. It would probably be better if somebody else wrote another poll and we tried to see if we could get more votes in order to get a better picture. [/quote] Not your fault, there's a lot of lookyloos that lurk forums and aren't registered. And those that are might be shy and don't always vote or post things...
HisChildForever Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='southern california guy' date='17 January 2010 - 08:35 PM' timestamp='1263778538' post='2039402'] This topic's gotten a lot more views than votes (About 559 views but only something like 50 votes). So perhaps I didn't work up the best poll. It would probably be better if somebody else wrote another poll and we tried to see if we could get more votes in order to get a better picture. [/quote] I was thinking of creating a discussion thread, but I suppose a poll could be worked into it.
Happy_Catholic Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='17 January 2010 - 07:29 PM' timestamp='1263774597' post='2039361'] It seems that more than one Catholic has voted in favor of abortion and contraception, according to this poll. I see a Catholic voting in favor of premarital sex as well. [/quote] Well, there's a whole group of dolts who call themselves "catholics for a free choice". Stands to reason that statistically a "catholic" with similar views would find their way to voting on this poll.
Jaime Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 on a side note, Anybody else think that based on the poll results, Fidei defensor and Txydngysailor are totally made for each other? BTW hands down, dumbest poll ever put on Phatmass.
HisChildForever Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='hot stuff' date='17 January 2010 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1263786720' post='2039440'] on a side note, Anybody else think that based on the poll results, Fidei defensor and Txydngysailor are totally made for each other? BTW hands down, dumbest poll ever put on Phatmass. [/quote] It was not only those two who voted against Church teaching.
Jaime Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='17 January 2010 - 11:02 PM' timestamp='1263787366' post='2039444'] It was not only those two who voted against Church teaching. [/quote] Yes but they voted together the most consistently. Ask Eharmony, stats are everything baby!!
HisChildForever Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='hot stuff' date='17 January 2010 - 11:08 PM' timestamp='1263787698' post='2039449'] Yes but they voted together the most consistently. Ask Eharmony, stats are everything baby!! [/quote] That doesn't take away from the fact that Catholics voted against Church teaching.
Jaime Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='17 January 2010 - 11:11 PM' timestamp='1263787874' post='2039452'] That doesn't take away from the fact that Catholics voted against Church teaching. [/quote] First of all, if you want to ask somebody about why they voted the way they did, I would suggest doing so. There are three reasons that I can conceive of where Catholic folk voted in a way that didn't reflect Church teaching 1. Its a stupidly worded poll and there's a few places that one can vote and appear not to vote in line with Church teaching B. Its possible some folks misread it (because its a stupidly worded poll) iii. Maybe they are actually struggling with some Church teachings. (This btw isn't against Church teachings. We're allow to struggle on issues from time to time and still not go to hell) In any case, I don't think obsessing is the best course of action. Peeing on a perfectly good joke is not the best course either.
HisChildForever Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='hot stuff' date='17 January 2010 - 11:55 PM' timestamp='1263790500' post='2039476'] First of all, if you want to ask somebody about why they voted the way they did, I would suggest doing so.[/quote] Post #47.
HisChildForever Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='hot stuff' date='17 January 2010 - 11:55 PM' timestamp='1263790500' post='2039476'] Peeing on a perfectly good joke is not the best course either. [/quote] You're upset because I didn't laugh at your joke? I wouldn't worry about it.
Jaime Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='18 January 2010 - 12:06 AM' timestamp='1263791195' post='2039487'] You're upset because I didn't laugh at your joke? I wouldn't worry about it. [/quote] No I'm not upset. Lots of people don't laugh at my jokes. But if its upsetting you PM the person(s)
zunshynn Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='southern california guy' date='17 January 2010 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1263778538' post='2039402'] This topic's gotten a lot more views than votes (About 559 views but only something like 50 votes). So perhaps I didn't work up the best poll. It would probably be better if somebody else wrote another poll and we tried to see if we could get more votes in order to get a better picture. [/quote] I'm not really sure I understand what you're trying to "get a picture of". The vast majority of posters here are going to have little disagreement on the issues here, but of course there will be an occasional odd opinion... basically like this shows. I mean, even without a poll anyone that's been here for a couple of months could tell you that's what you'd get. I don't think trying to make a massive poll to calculate PM statistics is going to be very accurate, or thorough. Web forums aren't designed for that. There are a slew of threads and polls on all of these things already though... I think you get a more accurate idea of people's opinions when you look at one issue at a time rather than trying to glob everything into one poll. Don't get me wrong, there's a place for polls like that of course, but they're designed for that kind of input... but even then, statistics lie.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now