Hilde Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='hot stuff' date='18 January 2010 - 06:08 AM' timestamp='1263787698' post='2039449'] Yes but they voted together the most consistently. Ask Eharmony, stats are everything baby!! [/quote] I think he might have voted for everything.
southern california guy Posted January 18, 2010 Author Posted January 18, 2010 (edited) [quote name='zunshynn' date='17 January 2010 - 10:22 PM' timestamp='1263792149' post='2039508'] I'm not really sure I understand what you're trying to "get a picture of". The vast majority of posters here are going to have little disagreement on the issues here, but of course there will be an occasional odd opinion... basically like this shows. I mean, even without a poll anyone that's been here for a couple of months could tell you that's what you'd get. I don't think trying to make a massive poll to calculate PM statistics is going to be very accurate, or thorough. Web forums aren't designed for that. There are a slew of threads and polls on all of these things already though... I think you get a more accurate idea of people's opinions when you look at one issue at a time rather than trying to glob everything into one poll. Don't get me wrong, there's a place for polls like that of course, but they're designed for that kind of input... but even then, statistics lie. [/quote] I didn't have enough options in the poll to show the variety of opinions. It was perhaps a little too black and white. But I think it does show at least the main viewpoints. I think it would be interesting to do a similar open poll on the internet -- for Catholics -- on "Mr Poll". And compare the results. Edited January 18, 2010 by southern california guy
zunshynn Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='southern california guy' date='18 January 2010 - 05:52 AM' timestamp='1263819157' post='2039596'] I didn't have enough options in the poll to show the variety of opinions. It was perhaps a little too black and white. But I think it does show at least the main viewpoints. I think it would be interesting to do a similar open poll on the internet -- for Catholics -- on "Mr Poll". And compare the results. [/quote] Well that was my point... these polls aren't designed for this kind of survey. Anyway, the reason I didn't vote was because I don't think those 4 or five moral issues constitute my moral beliefs... for example... a mother staying at home or not staying home. Personally, I would say it's better for mothers to be at home... but that has to be determined by an individual family in regards to what is best for them. I don't think it's a "moral issue" in the sense that there is an objective right answer, such as the questions of abortion and contraception. The two don't compare. I don't have "personal beliefs" in regards to moral questions such as abortion and contraception in which the Church has a firm position. I believe what the Church believes, so help me God. And many of the options regarding annulment basically mean the same thing. Did Jesus say it was adultery to remarry after divorce? Yes. But if you get "remarried" after divorce only if you get the marriage annulled, well, then you were never married in the first place... so obviously it's okay to get married. And if you think premarital sex is wrong, obviously you are going to say that living together prior to marriage is wrong. I also don't feel that my "religious beliefs" are constituted by my opinion of the NO or the EF. My religious beliefs are simply Catholic... if someone else labels me a "trad" because I prefer the EF... well, that's their label not mine. Nor do I feel that my position on annulment, or divorce, which is, I hope, simply the Church's position tells you what my religious beliefs are. I guess I just don't get what the point is of blanket polls like this. It almost seems like this is an attempt to see if you'll be able to find someone you'd be interested in dating here. Forgive me if that's totally incorrect... it most likely is... that's just the impression I got from it.
XIX Posted January 18, 2010 Posted January 18, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='17 January 2010 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1263762558' post='2039239'] I don't believe the Church teaches that tubal resection constitutes abortion. [/quote] Correct.
southern california guy Posted January 19, 2010 Author Posted January 19, 2010 (edited) [quote name='zunshynn' date='18 January 2010 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1263841109' post='2039727'] Well that was my point... these polls aren't designed for this kind of survey. Anyway, the reason I didn't vote was because I don't think those 4 or five moral issues constitute my moral beliefs... for example... a mother staying at home or not staying home. Personally, I would say it's better for mothers to be at home... but that has to be determined by an individual family in regards to what is best for them. I don't think it's a "moral issue" in the sense that there is an objective right answer, such as the questions of abortion and contraception. The two don't compare. I don't have "personal beliefs" in regards to moral questions such as abortion and contraception in which the Church has a firm position. I believe what the Church believes, so help me God. [/quote] Of course you have personal beliefs -- even if they're based on the Churches teachings. However you sure can't take it for granted that because somebody is Catholic that they agree with everything that the Church teaches. [quote name='zunshynn' date='18 January 2010 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1263841109' post='2039727'] And many of the options regarding annulment basically mean the same thing. Did Jesus say it was adultery to remarry after divorce? Yes. But if you get "remarried" after divorce only if you get the marriage annulled, well, then you were never married in the first place... so obviously it's okay to get married. [/quote] Of course Jesus was referring to a [b]legal divorce[/b] when he discussed [b]divorce[/b] and remarriage with the Pharisees and Disciples in the book of Mark. [b]MARK 10:2-4[/b] 2 And some Pharisees came up to Him, testing Him, and began to question Him whether it was [b]lawful[/b] for a man to [b]divorce[/b] a wife. 3 And He answered and said to them, [color="#8B0000"]"What did Moses command you?"[/color] 4 And they said, "Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce and send her away." [b]MARK 10:10-12[/b] 10 And in the house the disciples began questioning Him about this again. 11 And he said to them, [color="#8B0000"]"Whoever [b]divorces[/b] his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her;[/color] 12 [color="#8B0000"]and if she herself [b]divorces[/b] her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery." [/color] Marriage isn't clearly defined in the bible but a [b]legal divorce[/b] is... [b]DEUTERONOMY 24:1[/b] [b][size="4"]24[/size][/b]"When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some indecency in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out from his house [quote name='zunshynn' date='18 January 2010 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1263841109' post='2039727'] And if you think premarital sex is wrong, obviously you are going to say that living together prior to marriage is wrong. [/quote] Are you kidding? People can say any dumb thing they want to. Com'on you have to have heard the recent argument by some modern Catholics that we should go back to the old Catholic marriages of the 1500's (Prior to the Council of Trent) when the marriage had two parts -- The "Betrothal"(Lived together for a year) followed by the "Nuptial Ceremony" (Wedding). Here are some links: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1141/is_8_38/ai_82066336/pg_4/ http://uscatholic.claretians.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=12369&news_iv_ctrl=0&abbr=usc_ http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=2051 http://www.catholicherald.com/opinions/detail.html?sub_id=552 [quote name='zunshynn' date='18 January 2010 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1263841109' post='2039727'] I also don't feel that my "religious beliefs" are constituted by my opinion of the NO or the EF. My religious beliefs are simply Catholic... if someone else labels me a "trad" because I prefer the EF... well, that's their label not mine. Nor do I feel that my position on annulment, or divorce, which is, I hope, simply the Church's position tells you what my religious beliefs are. [/quote] Obviously your answers to the poll would just tell us your position on those particular issues. [quote name='zunshynn' date='18 January 2010 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1263841109' post='2039727'] I guess I just don't get what the point is of blanket polls like this. It almost seems like this is an attempt to see if you'll be able to find someone you'd be interested in dating here. Forgive me if that's totally incorrect... it most likely is... that's just the impression I got from it. [/quote] It sounds like I'm pretty crazy.. Somehow I don't think that this sort of post is going to find me the love of my life. But I could be wrong! Seriously I'll tell you a secret. Putting a poll with a post generates more interest -- and you tend to get more lively discussions. However I should have posted this on the debate board. Edited January 19, 2010 by southern california guy
southern california guy Posted January 19, 2010 Author Posted January 19, 2010 [quote name='Winchester' date='18 January 2010 - 08:04 PM' timestamp='1263870278' post='2039972'] I think it's the best poll ever. [/quote] You are super cool.
southern california guy Posted January 19, 2010 Author Posted January 19, 2010 [quote name='zunshynn' date='18 January 2010 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1263841109' post='2039727'] Well that was my point... these polls aren't designed for this kind of survey. Anyway, the reason I didn't vote was because I don't think those 4 or five moral issues constitute my moral beliefs... for example... a mother staying at home or not staying home. Personally, I would say it's better for mothers to be at home... but that has to be determined by an individual family in regards to what is best for them. I don't think it's a "moral issue" in the sense that there is an objective right answer, such as the questions of abortion and contraception. The two don't compare. I don't have "personal beliefs" in regards to moral questions such as abortion and contraception in which the Church has a firm position. I believe what the Church believes, so help me God. And many of the options regarding annulment basically mean the same thing. Did Jesus say it was adultery to remarry after divorce? Yes. But if you get "remarried" after divorce only if you get the marriage annulled, well, then you were never married in the first place... so obviously it's okay to get married. And if you think premarital sex is wrong, obviously you are going to say that living together prior to marriage is wrong. I also don't feel that my "religious beliefs" are constituted by my opinion of the NO or the EF. My religious beliefs are simply Catholic... if someone else labels me a "trad" because I prefer the EF... well, that's their label not mine. Nor do I feel that my position on annulment, or divorce, which is, I hope, simply the Church's position tells you what my religious beliefs are. [/quote] Me thinks thou doth protest too much... Forgive me but I couldn't resist saying more. You know your post is going to make people suspicious of you. You claim not to have a personal position when it comes to abortion and contraception??? And you say that the Church has a firm position, and you believe what the Church believes. My uncle argues that being "pro-choice" is the same as being "pro-life", and he's a very "good" Catholic. Sooo.. zunshine what do you believe -- that the Church believes? [quote name='zunshynn' date='18 January 2010 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1263841109' post='2039727'] I guess I just don't get what the point is of blanket polls like this. It almost seems like this is an attempt to see if you'll be able to find someone you'd be interested in dating here. Forgive me if that's totally incorrect... it most likely is... that's just the impression I got from it. [/quote] And one last point about this. While I don't think that I would ever attempt to start a relationship by asking these questions. The question about being a stay-at-home mom is an important one to me -- when it comes to a relationship. Most of the women I've dated don't want to be.. And that's come between us.. I think that it's very important that you share similar beliefs with person you marry.
Apotheoun Posted January 19, 2010 Posted January 19, 2010 I have not voted in the poll because the middle question (i.e., about the liturgy of the Latin Church) does not apply to me.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now