An Old School Catholic Message Board

Killing Us Softly

rayz

[mod]inappropriate video-MIKolbe[/mod]

How to Christians see (ab)use of women in advertisements?

PS> Wow. zero tolerance!

Edited by rayz

Ephrem Augustine

My fiddler is blocking any image or video that you are displaying,
but anyways, I think it is also a valid question to think about what ways young women feel pressured or expected to want to put themselves out there in the same way.

A textual description of the video which was censored.

[quote]
Kilbourne explained how ads that eroticize rape and sexualize women contribute to creating a society that has less trouble digesting violence against women. "Men would not oppress what they see as equal," Kilbourne said, but ads that objectify women encourage men to think of women as unequal and inferior. Most men are not violent, Kilbourne said, but most are too afraid to speak out about violence against women.

Ads also create impossible standards for women to live up to, and one disturbing result is the lengths to which women and girls will go to achieve this ideal. Kilbourne used the example of breast implants. "Many times women will lose all feeling in their breasts after surgery, and consequently they merely become an object of someone else's pleasure, not their own. She explained, "Thus, the transformation of a woman from subject to object is complete."

Full read: [url="http://www.creativetypeco.com/articles_kilbourne.shtml"]http://www.creativet...kilbourne.shtml[/url]
[/quote]

Edited by rayz

[quote name='rayz' date='24 January 2010 - 01:52 PM' timestamp='1264359124' post='2043526']
How to Christians see (ab)use of women in advertisements?
[/quote]

Christians are a very broad group of people. Catholic Christians are still a tremendously broad group of people, after all, there are a billion people who somehow identify as Catholic.

So let's just make the question "How is the use/abuse of women in advertisements seen by devout, practicing Christians, (Catholics in particular)?"

I will start by offering the thought that women are often used in advertisements in an abusive way. Often they are presented as only having value related to their physical appearance, often in a way that suggests that the reason their appearance is valued at all is directly related to their value as a sex object.

Other advertisements suggest that the value of women stems from their ability to cook or do housework well (which to do you must purchase the product being advertised).

I find it offensive that advertisements so often suggest the value of a person is sexual and/or utilitarian.

Not profound thoughts but it might get the ball rolling...

dominicansoul

any time a person, male or female, is used as an object, it goes against the dignity of the human person, and therefore, should not be tolerated by any Catholic Christian

I was a little surprised when the video was censored. Understandable though.

A question to devote catholics (and the mod, if you are paying attention): If you saw the posted video (which speaks against ads) as offensive/sinful, how do you protect your self and your children from the onslaught of ads and images in the real world out there?

Thy Geekdom Come

I type this while holding my daughter...

The dignity of women (and men) makes it impossible to display them morally in a sexually explicit manner.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='rayz' date='24 January 2010 - 02:45 PM' timestamp='1264362357' post='2043590']

A question to devote catholics (and the mod, if you are paying attention): If you saw the posted video (which speaks against ads) as offensive/sinful, how do you protect your self and your children from the onslaught of ads and images in the real world out there?
[/quote]
I didn't view the video because you said it had nudity. I work to turn away from sexually explicit ads, I don't watch explicit tv, and I pray that God preserve my heart if my efforts fail.

[quote name='rayz' date='24 January 2010 - 03:45 PM' timestamp='1264362357' post='2043590']

[/quote]
First off-

Easy on the 'paying attention' schtick...your passive agressiveness is quite unbecoming, and rather juvenile.

Now, as an answer to your 'question', I do one of 2 things, I block my family from said onslaught; or I attempt to serve as an example in prayer and compassion when confronted with said onslaught.

Happy_Catholic

A particular brand of anti-men feminism mobilised en masse and got a law change to enable us to kill our children.

Where is the same passion that those misled women had? Perhaps its time they redirected their energies at this debacle.

I was flicking through a music channel at 930pm at night once and came across a 50c video with naked ladies dancing. He was talking about being a p1mp and getting some... well... "garden tools".

How does this respect women?

Kids today are staying up later, what will a 13 year old girl yearning to be popular think when she see's this? What will a 13 year old boy wantin gto be cool think when he see's this?

Then the ads, well, that's not just on one channel at one particular time, sex sells, as they say, but what exactly are they selling? Bank shares or our souls?

As a side note, I find it interesting that people pee their pants with self righteous rage when there's a 'violent" ad, but no one cares if its a half naked woman selling coke. People then get on the bandwagon of banning violent movies and video games because it makes people violent, well, by that logic, shouldn't we be banning sexual ads and programmes because of the rate of teen pregnancies and STDs?

I think if people were really serious about stopping these ads they'd boycott the product en masse, that's what'd get the producers' attention.

[quote name='rayz' date='24 January 2010 - 02:53 PM' timestamp='1264362813' post='2043604']
^ where do you cross the line of explicitness when it comes to clothing?
[/quote]

In most instances, except maybe great art, etc, you are definitely across the line if you show someone who is less covered than the occasion merits. A commercial on the beach might be okay in showing people in swimwear, for example (might), but random "bikini babes" standing in a parking lot sprawled over a used car is not okay. People shouldn't wear bikinis to buy or sell used cars.

There are of course more ways to go beyond the pale, and not all involve clothing.

For example, you have the Axe deodorant commercials that almost explicitly state that if a young man uses their product he will have a lot of casual sex with many different highly physically attractive women.

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='24 January 2010 - 08:58 PM' timestamp='1264363098' post='2043609']
First off-

Easy on the 'paying attention' schtick...your passive agressiveness is quite unbecoming, and rather juvenile.

Now, as an answer to your 'question', I do one of 2 things, I block my family from said onslaught; or I attempt to serve as an example in prayer and compassion when confronted with said onslaught.
[/quote]
Oh, did God grant you special powers to look in to my heart? I am so impressed!
Thank you for making me feel so welcome with your awesome Christian virtues. :rolleyes:

Edit: LOL at negative ratings. Did I say some thing wrong? :rolleyes:

Edited by rayz

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='24 January 2010 - 03:00 PM' timestamp='1264363215' post='2043611']
People then get on the bandwagon of banning violent movies and video games because it makes people violent, well, by that logic, shouldn't we be banning sexual ads and programmes because of the rate of teen pregnancies and STDs?
[/quote]

The problem is they think the solution to that problem is contraception.

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='24 January 2010 - 03:00 PM' timestamp='1264363215' post='2043611']
I think if people were really serious about stopping these ads they'd boycott the product en masse, that's what'd get the producers' attention.
[/quote]

Which is one reason I stopped buying Axe....