An Old School Catholic Message Board

Killing Us Softly

rayz

Are you asking us out of curiosity or out of playing devil's advocate? I am just trying to undestand where you are coming from.

[quote name='Happy_Catholic' date='24 January 2010 - 09:00 PM' timestamp='1264363215' post='2043611']I think if people were really serious about stopping these ads they'd boycott the product en masse, that's what'd get the producers' attention.
[/quote]

unfortunately it takes a lot of effort to recognize what an ad actually does to the mind. Until masses do see what advertisements really are it wont work.
On the other hand, ad business relies on people to not think deeply. (Imagine scrutinizing big Mc for nutritional value! )

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='rayz' date='24 January 2010 - 02:53 PM' timestamp='1264362813' post='2043604']
^ where do you cross the line of explicitness when it comes to clothing?
[/quote]
If my wife's clothing cheapens her natural beauty instead of modestly accentuating it, that's where I draw a line. Fortunately, she never wears such clothing. Obviously there are also things she wears indoors that are modest in this context but are not modest outside of the home.

[quote name='picchick' date='24 January 2010 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1264364081' post='2043620']
Are you asking us out of curiosity or out of playing devil's advocate? I am just trying to undestand where you are coming from.
[/quote]
Thanks for asking. (I prefer this to presuming)
I feel strongly about woman's right, human rights and stuff like that. I take opportunities to promote messages such as these which fights back against destructive forces against our society. Best way to fight is to spread the word. Purpose of this thread is just that- spreading the word.
While I am coming across views which are unfamiliar, I ask questions to understand. Not playing devils advocate.

missionseeker

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='24 January 2010 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1264363098' post='2043609']
First off-

Now, as an answer to your 'question', I do one of 2 things, I block my family from said onslaught;
[/quote]

and your phamily :kiss: :flowers:

brightsadness

[quote name='Raphael' date='24 January 2010 - 01:20 PM' timestamp='1264364448' post='2043625']
If my wife's clothing cheapens her natural beauty instead of modestly accentuating it, that's where I draw a line. Fortunately, she never wears such clothing. [u] Obviously there are also things she wears indoors that are modest in this context but are not modest outside of the home.
[/quote]
[/u]

I agree. As the younger sister of 3 older brothers, there came a time when I realized that if their friends were around, I wasn't comfortable wearing some things that were ok when just family (like shorts in the summer heat.) I understand my brothers also appreciated my discretion as it gets them mad when guys check out their little sister.

[quote name='Raphael' date='24 January 2010 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1264364448' post='2043625']
If my wife's clothing cheapens her natural beauty instead of modestly accentuating it, that's where I draw a line. Fortunately, she never wears such clothing. Obviously there are also things she wears indoors that are modest in this context but are not modest outside of the home.
[/quote]

Ok, I see. But a question to you and tomasio:

Your line seems to be very contextual. If you lived 50 years back your idea of inappropriateness would be different, no? Are there some concrete 'lines' defined in the religion?

[quote name='rayz' date='24 January 2010 - 03:24 PM' timestamp='1264364669' post='2043626']
Thanks for asking. (I prefer this to presuming)
I feel strongly about woman's right, human rights and stuff like that. I take opportunities to promote messages such as these which fights back against destructive forces against our society. Best way to fight is to spread the word. Purpose of this thread is just that- spreading the word.
While I am coming across views which are unfamiliar, I ask questions to understand. Not playing devils advocate.
[/quote]

:) Thank you for understanding my question.

I try to go by "Preach always, when necessary use words."

I don't think religion really defines modesty because I think as times change, modesty does as well. Women with pants on back in the day would be considered sinful. Now, not so much. There are still groups of people who consider it sinful for a woman to wear pants. I would have to disagree. I think that modesty is also in comfort. If you are not comfortable wearing pants well then you wear a skirt. There are obvious immodesty out there (woman posing naked whatever) but most of the lines drawn today are personal opinions rather than outlined by the Church.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='rayz' date='24 January 2010 - 03:28 PM' timestamp='1264364929' post='2043631']
Ok, I see. But a question to you and tomasio:

Your line seems to be very contextual. If you lived 50 years back your idea of inappropriateness would be different, no? Are there some concrete 'lines' defined in the religion?
[/quote]
Yes, of course. Public nudity is a no-no. Wearing something that would scandalize is a no-no, but exactly what that means on a practical level is somewhat contextual. Even breasts are not immorally seen in public if it's due to breastfeeding, although it would still probably be prudent to cover up. Genitals are never permitted to be seen publicly.

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='rayz' date='24 January 2010 - 02:45 PM' timestamp='1264362357' post='2043590']
A question to devote catholics (and the mod, if you are paying attention): If you saw the posted video (which speaks against ads) as offensive/sinful, how do you protect your self and your children from the onslaught of ads and images in the real world out there?
[/quote]
I only have a six month old son right now, but this question is on my mind a lot. Any children in our family will be taught modesty through their attire; for me that entails that clothes shouldn't look like their painted on, plunged necklines and hiked skirts are too revealing, and pants are not meant to be worn around the pubis bone by anyone of any gender. Nor should clothing depict paraphernalia, scantily clad folks, or derogatory text.

[quote name='rayz' date='24 January 2010 - 02:53 PM' timestamp='1264362813' post='2043604']
^ where do you cross the line of explicitness when it comes to clothing?
[/quote]
I draw the line at the aforementioned lines, but personally, I also try to keep in mind that just because my shirt is discreet in its cut, if my intention were to wear a certain color because I know it holds certain appeal to someone who could be attracted to me, that would also be too explicit. It's like purposely giving someone an occasion to sin, and that's just not fair.

[quote name='tomasio127' date='24 January 2010 - 03:03 PM' timestamp='1264363406' post='2043612']
In most instances, except maybe great art, etc, you are definitely across the line if you show someone who is less covered than the occasion merits. A commercial on the beach might be okay in showing people in swimwear, for example (might), but random "bikini babes" standing in a parking lot sprawled over a used car is not okay. People shouldn't wear bikinis to buy or sell used cars.
[/quote]
I wouldn't use bikini girls to sell brand new cars, either. ;)

[quote name='rayz' date='24 January 2010 - 03:08 PM' timestamp='1264363688' post='2043615']
Oh, did God grant you special powers to look in to my heart? I am so impressed!
Thank you for making me feel so welcome with your awesome Christian virtues. :rolleyes:

Edit: LOL at negative ratings. Did I say some thing wrong? :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Settle down, sir. Everyone gets talked to like that around here. :cool:

Oh! Also, I haven't seen you around here myself, so Hello and Welcome!

Edited by rhetoricfemme

You know, there's lots of speak of "modesty changes with the times", but there seems to be an underlying objective reference to what is modest... so why has skirt down to ankles become old fashioned when skirt down to knees is okay now? Why can't it get shorter? I'm just asking.

dominicansoul

i know devout Catholics that go by the rules set up by Pope Pius XII back in the earlier part of the last century...

http://www.catholicmodesty.com/

...i don't think it's outdated...what happened is that several members of the Church decided to cave into the pressure of modern worldly (and immoral) trends...

even the Blessed Mother told the children at Fatima, that there will be many styles that would offend our Lord very much! Trouble is, there is not enough preaching against the immodest fashions today...women are allowed to wear immodest clothing in Church even, and nothing is ever told to them...

Edited by dominicansoul

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='24 January 2010 - 04:03 PM' timestamp='1264367004' post='2043661']
i know devout Catholics that go by the rules set up by Pope Pius XII back in the earlier part of the last century...

[/quote]
This is an amazing resource! Thank you so much for posting it! I already used my +1 today, but I wish I had another one for you!

HisChildForever

So-called feminists of the modern age believe that dressing and acting in a sexually suggestive manner empowers them and gives them freedom of expression. They believe women can manipulate men in this way. Unfortunately, they are really enslaving themselves to lust and allowing men to manipulate THEM; not to mention, they are damaging the natural dignity every woman possesses. This is why many men publicly lust over women, even if they are dressed modestly. I work in a mall and this past week, a grown man literally stopped next to me, looked me up and down, and said "'sup baby?" Never mind that I was wearing a long, over-sized sweater. I gave him an absolutely disgusted look and walked away. Normally I give them a snide response and they shut up, but I was seriously taken aback. What gives someone the absolute nerve to behave like that in public?? Society has been telling this man that it's okay. Oh, not just society, but the confused "feminists" who think they're doing all of us women a favor. Um, no. My shift hadn't started yet and I was on the way to our lounge with my dinner. This is honestly why I bring my food back to our lounge, because sitting by myself in a restaurant or in the mall itself? Please, I might as well wear a sign on my forehead saying "harass me, please."

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='24 January 2010 - 03:03 PM' timestamp='1264367004' post='2043661']

...i don't think it's outdated...what happened is that several members of the Church decided to cave into the pressure of modern worldly (and immoral) trends...

even the Blessed Mother told the children at Fatima, that there will be many styles that would offend our Lord very much! Trouble is, there is not enough preaching against the immodest fashions today...women are allowed to wear immodest clothing in Church even, and nothing is ever told to them...
[/quote]

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' date='24 January 2010 - 04:21 PM' timestamp='1264371712' post='2043710']
This is an amazing resource! Thank you so much for posting it! I already used my +1 today, but I wish I had another one for you!
[/quote]
[quote]Young men must be taught that baggy pants are not appropriate; that their hair be nicely cut and combed; that shirts be clean and without slogans or cross bones or a dragon,... or anything which may give Satan the appearance of being honored. (“I love SkAT’N” shirt worn by a teenager has a double meaning unacceptable anywhere.) [/quote]
:hehe:

Edited by Nihil Obstat