An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Ladie's Rest Area

princessgianna

JMJ
By the way, anyone who is on here "or not on here", please pray for Brianna. I have metionioned her before. She is a little girl and is going into organ failure. She is very plucky, and has overcome luekemia, and so much else. Ave Maria gratia plena, dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulierbus, et benedictum fructum ventris tui Jesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus nunc et in ora mortis nosrti, Amen. +

I went through Catholic school. It was great academically, but certainly not catechesis wise. I've thought of homeschooling my kids, but I don't know how good at it I'd be especially in regards to math and science-my worst subjects. <_<

Edited by tinytherese

JMJ
My mom has been known to say that homeschooling has helped her with MAth and English, and she now "gets" all the stuff that didn't make sense before.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='04 February 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1265337985' post='2051436']
The Laddies' Rest Area?
[/quote]
I was just going to suggest this.

I was homeschooled until 16, when I finished my (ludicrously easy (by my standards, anyway)) high school curriculum (not Seton). Now I'm finishing up my second year of taking classes at the local community college to pass the time until I go to a proper, four-year university in the fall. I credit homeschooling at least partially for my high grades and scores and stuff, and I definitely want to homeschool my kids.

princessgianna

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='04 February 2010 - 09:35 PM' timestamp='1265337301' post='2051425']
JMJ
Homeschoolers RULE! What curriculum are you using? Seton is a good choice for me, since I am graduating in 3 years, which makes me a freshman/sophmore, or something.
[/quote]

We make up our own. So a little bit of everything. :book:
[quote name='Tridenteen' date='04 February 2010 - 09:37 PM' timestamp='1265337479' post='2051428']
JMJ
By the way, anyone who is on here "or not on here", please pray for Brianna. I have metionioned her before. She is a little girl and is going into organ failure. She is very plucky, and has overcome luekemia, and so much else. Ave Maria gratia plena, dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulierbus, et benedictum fructum ventris tui Jesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus nunc et in ora mortis nosrti, Amen. +
[/quote]
Sure thing!

Ave Maria gratia plena, dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulierbus, et benedictum fructum ventris tui Jesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus nunc et in ora mortis nosrti, Amen. +

St. Micheal=pray for us~

[quote name='Hilde' date='04 February 2010 - 09:39 PM' timestamp='1265337541' post='2051430']
I've only been to public school. State owned and run in case there's confusion with the term public school.
[/quote]
How did you like it? I went to public for 2 years. We found alot of Christian support from the public schools actaully.!

[quote name='tinytherese' date='04 February 2010 - 09:45 PM' timestamp='1265337956' post='2051435']
I went through Catholic school. It was great academically, but certainly not catechesis wise. I've thought of homeschooling my kids, but I don't know how good at it I'd be especially in regards to math and science-my worst subjects. <_<
[/quote]
There is so much curriculum that is parent friendly and everything. I acatully take a homeschool science class. We meet once a week. Do labs , the lady is an advisor. So she gives her expertise on the subject and stuff but the parents are still the main teacher and if they want a grade change -they can.

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='04 February 2010 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1265338084' post='2051438']
JMJ
My mom has been known to say that homeschooling has helped her with MAth and English, and she now "gets" all the stuff that didn't make sense before.
[/quote]
OMG my mom says the same thing!!!! :shock:

[quote name='Arpy' date='04 February 2010 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1265341395' post='2051483']
I was just going to suggest this.

I was homeschooled until 16, when I finished my (ludicrously easy (by my standards, anyway)) high school curriculum (not Seton). Now I'm finishing up my second year of taking classes at the local community college to pass the time until I go to a proper, four-year university in the fall. I credit homeschooling at least partially for my high grades and scores and stuff, and I definitely want to homeschool my kids.
[/quote]
aww Smartie.
I started homeschooling when I was in 5 grade so I never had a chance to "get ahead" if you will. But that is awesome that it works for yoU! But I may take some college course in my senior year of High School!

Edited by princessgianna

[quote name='princessgianna' date='05 February 2010 - 06:55 AM' timestamp='1265345727' post='2051518']

How did you like it? I went to public for 2 years. We found alot of Christian support from the public schools actaully.!

[/quote]
I didn't really like elementary school, since I was teased there and I didn't feel like they did anything about it.

Socially my favorite was junior hight, where we were a close knit class where I got friends that I still have to this day.

I also liked High school academically. I got into a good school that had teachers that knew their stuff, so it was great knowledge-wise. I felt a lot of pressure though, there were a lot of tests and homework which really drained me, and the milieu was not bad which makes up for the stress because that would just be the worst. One of my friends chose private school instead of going to one of those schools. But the thing is it's different here than in America - what matters the most is your grade point average not which school, interests, extra curricular activities and so on. So even though it's not supposed to be like that, the better grades were harder to acheive in my school because the students are measured against each other too and people who got in had to have good grades from junior high. Well I'm babbling. Socially high school wasn't all that fun though, it was nothing like junior high and I found it harder to connect to my class mates. Too much talk about drinking and sex.

Homeschooling isn't illegal here because that would be infringing on human rights, neither is private school but the government is making it beaver dam hard. When you want to move on in life and you don't have a mainstream degree it's difficult. And the government gives less money to private school, it isn't a per head deal. There's a Catholic school in Oslo that's having monetary problems just because of that, they have state imposed rules that say they have to fix the building up in several ways and they don't have the money to do that. I really hope the school stays.

Edited by Hilde

I was homeschool tilll 3rd where that year, we moves, and then started the 3rd grade and I been going ever that time.

JMJ
Princess Gianna, how are going to get a diploma? I am curious, since we chose Seton for high school so I can get a diploma. It doesn't make sense, please explain. My mom is going to kind of pick and choose next year, several families in the community do it, and finish school a month early with no effort, so we might try that approach! I never was a fan of schools. I attended them till 4th grade, and by then we had enough of school systems to pull out. I am having the time of my life homeschooling, since I can work on my own schedule. Princess Gianna, it sounds like we should go to the patio and have party drinks so we can talk about homeschooling some more! Thanks for everyones prayers for Brianna. I am calling her family in a few minutes to check up on her. I really hope she is doing well...And if Arpy "isn't here" still, what curriculum did you use?

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Grave_digger.JPG[/img]
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Grave_digger_(truck).jpg[/img]

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='05 February 2010 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1265398937' post='2051664']
JMJ
It appears that we have yet another person who is "not here" who is neither a lady nor a homeschooler. Joy.
[/quote]
Good afternoon. :grouphug: