An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dsmme To Appear On Oprah

HisChild

How cool is this!? I'm glad that Oprah isn't afraid to have religious life showcased on her show. It'll be on her anniversary week of 2/9-2/13. I think I'll be taping that!

http://www.catholicvoteaction.org/americanpapist/index.php?p=1037 or[url="http://www.catholicvoteaction.org/americanpapist/index.php?p=1037"]HERE[/url]

laetitia crucis

Whooooa... :bigshock:

At first sight reading the topic, I thought this thread would have been some kind of silly joke, but WOW. I'm totally shocked!!!

So, is she doing the entire episode about religious life or something? (I'd be SHOCKED -- in a very good way -- about that!)

Wow... still shocked regardless... DSMME on Oprah... this is some crazy times. :woot:

Definitely need to watch this. :D

P.S. -- Tridenteen, I think you can watch all of Oprah's shows on abc.com -- ABC usually has all of their television shoes online for free. :twothumbsup: That's how I caught up on [i]Lost[/i]... :hehehe:

yeahhh! lisa ling was at the convent and was filming there and two sisters flew to chicago today (i think) to actually film!!

Part of me has to put out a word of caution - it is *extremely* unusual for anyone involved in mainstream media to "get" religious life in any way. Thus, while I'm sure the sisters will do their best and be themselves, don't be surprised if some of the show comes across as...stupid. I think Oprah can be very respectful towards her guests (I haven't seen her show in years, so I wouldn't know), but she is also a very opinionated woman who is not afraid to share her own point of view. I'm not saying she'll come right out and say, "so you don't have sex? really?" but that attitude is bound to show up in some form or other, even as a joke.

So, here's hoping it's a great show, but I don't want people to be shocked/offended by the secular view of religious life, either.

[url=http://www.oprah.com/community/thread/104950]HERE[/url] is a thread on Oprah's own forums about how she handles issues of spirituality.

I don't care if Oprah is well...Oprah. This is a special community who will show the joy of religious life and talk about the beauty of religious life. Heck, Oprah might even be the one who feels stupid talking to them.

I don't know if anyone knows this, but I just went on Oprah's site tonight to try to find out what day this story is on, and it says it's on Tuesday. I didn't particularly want to record the entire week when all I wished to see was one show.

I find it annoying that they call it a 'nunnery'. When Shakespeare said, 'Get thee to a nunnery', there are many who think he meant convent. There are also those who think it meant a brothel, for which nunnery was used as common slang during that time period. I've also heard it said that nunnery means mental institution. Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='HisChild' date='08 February 2010 - 02:42 AM' timestamp='1265611339' post='2053200']
I find it annoying that they call it a 'nunnery'. When Shakespeare said, 'Get thee to a nunnery', there are many who think he meant convent. There are also those who think it meant a brothel, for which nunnery was used as common slang during that time period. I've also heard it said that nunnery means mental institution. Sorry, pet peeve of mine.
[/quote]

That has always bothered me as well. :annoyed:

Saint Therese

Let's hope she doesn't ruin it with anti-Catholic or anti-nun propoganda.

Edited by Saint Therese