An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dsmme To Appear On Oprah

HisChild

after the show,(this didnt air), they spoke with Oprah about silence and the world.
[media][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE5rAy0rORA"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cE5rAy0rORA[/url][/media]
it repeats without audio, dont know why
more to come soon..

Edited by EJames2

lets try this..
Youtbe wont accept my vid :(,, Queen Oprah and all
, ill put the [url="http://en.Gloria.tv"]en.Gloria.tv[/url] link up soon.

Edited by EJames2

Indwelling Trinity

I think there are a couple of ways at looking at community. For myself when i was a young Carmelite, I looked up to my older sisters as they had lived the life for many years and rather than being rigid i found them very understanding of my youth. Whereas when among the young sisters they had much more immaturity and many were so into the nun look and external penances... and looking acetic that it was almost laughable.

I found time mellowed the older sister into understanding what was really important in religious life as they concentrated less on the external trappings. Yes some older religious get stuck in a mold and never reach their full potential in union with Christ because they cannot let go of their own way of looking at things and that is very sad to see. But on the whole i found most to be more pliable than the younger ones coming in with all their pre-concieved ideas as what it meant to be holy.

But to be a true religious of ten takes a lifetime of growing in the spirit and so TIME is needed.

Laughing... I remember one old priest telling us when I was in the novitiate: "young nuns look holy but are not holy, Middle aged nuns neither look holy nor are holy, Old nuns don't look holy, but many Are holy!" Definitely and exaggeration... but there is a touch of truth too.

When in community i found many holy older sisters whose example i still look up to today and my joy was to be near them learning at their feet so to say on how to love God. Some how they learned the trick of loving in total hiddeness and obscurity maybe partially because we as a society really do not respect the wisdom of our elders or maybe they just wanted it that way.

tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

dominicansoul

[quote name='DevotedtoHim' date='08 February 2010 - 04:56 PM' timestamp='1265666200' post='2053624']
Dame Agnes, I agree with you what you said. I probably wouldn't feel the way I do about this if it weren't with Oprah and if it didn't seem like the same communities get all the attention all the time. I definitely agree with the Holy Father (and you) about being out there, and breaking through the noise, and who knows, there might be a vocation or two from the show, but after my time of being in discernment, I just feel really sad for the faithful nuns who are struggling because they are older and not as "media savvy" as the younger ones or the newer ones. I don't know if that makes sense, but I guess I just have a soft spot in my heart for those nuns and since we just got done with a controversy over life this weekend with the superbowl (in the secular world), I think one of the reasons we can so easily abort is because we ARE in a disposable society and that includes the elderly. It seems like everybody wants to join a new, young, fresh order with lots of money meanwhile, the convents and monasteries of older nuns who have lived good, faithful lives who are full of wisdom and goodness are kind of being ignored. I know of two really good Carmels that closed/suppressed/merged this past year because of lack of vocations and they were in the full habit and everything! So I think it would have been really cool to have some older nuns talking about their lives and what it meant, and give them the chance to show their wisdom and sanctity but I guess that's for sure not what Oprah is about and people are interested in why young beautiful white girls want to "throw it all away" for God. I get that. I have made some really serious changes in my discernment process with the help of my sd and I am hoping to enter a community that has been around for a long time and needs the support and help of new people. I want to be one of those people.

I really didn't mean to be too cynical, I guess it's just hard enough living here (usa) with the focus on looks, weight, hair, education, youth, youth, youth and money that when I see it in religious life (not saying that about the DSMME's as an order but that's what others chose to highlight) I just get kinda sad.

Katherine

PS Even though I am young now I know I won't be forever God willing and I want to be treated well at every stage of my life, with respect and dignity.
[/quote]

I greatly appreciate this comment. I just want to emphasize that what we see and hear and experience about these wonderful communities...is just that...the wonderful part....

...but to those of us who have lived in these communities, we know the life is not as "romantic" as it seems, and these women are not as perfect as they seem...these are the very few points that are NEVER shown to the public...

...after watching the show, my heart is more determined to pray for my dear Dominican Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist, because they are the enemies of the devil, and he will do everything he can to undermine the work of their hands. I hope and pray that others do not see this show and think that everything must be fine and dandy, and forget them in their prayers, because that would be terribly wrong. We need to remember all our religious in our prayers EVERY NIGHT. Sometimes I believe the exposure is excellent, but at the same time...a little too much might get to their heads...(and I mean this in the nicest way...possible....I lived with these women and know them and love them very much...but there is a danger in that...I'm sure for all of us...)

at the same time, I believe Oprah contacted several convents, and all of them refused, until she called the DSMME. So, we don't know if some of the older, faithful communities might have refused her or not. I'm sure some of them were like, "Oprah who?" :lol:

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='09 February 2010 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1265771984' post='2054517']
I greatly appreciate this comment. I just want to emphasize that what we see and hear and experience about these wonderful communities...is just that...the wonderful part....

...but to those of us who have lived in these communities, we know the life is not as "romantic" as it seems, and these women are not as perfect as they seem...these are the very few points that are NEVER shown to the public...

...after watching the show, my heart is more determined to pray for my dear Dominican Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist, because they are the enemies of the devil, and he will do everything he can to undermine the work of their hands. I hope and pray that others do not see this show and think that everything must be fine and dandy, and forget them in their prayers, because that would be terribly wrong. We need to remember all our religious in our prayers EVERY NIGHT. Sometimes I believe the exposure is excellent, but at the same time...a little too much might get to their heads...(and I mean this in the nicest way...possible....I lived with these women and know them and love them very much...but there is a danger in that...I'm sure for all of us...)

at the same time, I believe Oprah contacted several convents, and all of them refused, until she called the DSMME. So, we don't know if some of the older, faithful communities might have refused her or not. I'm sure some of them were like, "Oprah who?" :lol:
[/quote]

Amen Dominican soul most never get to see the underside of the equation and the struggles inherent in the life. Please pray for this poor Carmelite too !

Tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity:shield:

dominicansoul

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='09 February 2010 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1265772577' post='2054529']
Amen Dominican soul most never get to see the underside of the equation and the struggles inherent in the life. Please pray for this poor Carmelite too !

Tenderly,

Indwelling Trinity:shield:
[/quote]
I certainly will!

ok here we go, lets try again..
on Oprah, some outakes/promo, including un-aired after show footage
[url="http://gloria.tv/?media=51171&connection=corporate"]http://gloria.tv/?me...ction=corporate[/url]
---
and
[url="http://gloria.tv/?media=1188"]http://gloria.tv/?media=1188[/url]
-
[url="http://gloria.tv/?media=46904"]http://gloria.tv/?media=46904[/url]
pax

Edited by EJames2

laetitia crucis

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='09 February 2010 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1265771984' post='2054517']

[/quote]

I echo Indwelling Trinity and give thanks for this post dominicansoul. Thank you for posting this. I agree with you so much, especially when you say this: "[i]...but to those of us who have lived in these communities, we know the life is not as "romantic" as it seems, and these women are not as perfect as they seem...these are the very few points that are NEVER shown to the public...[/i]". From my own personal experience in religious life... all I can say is, "Amen!" and offer my prayers.

:bigpray:

P.S. "What's an Oprah Winfrey?" <-- loved that.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='EJames2' date='10 February 2010 - 12:24 PM' timestamp='1265819072' post='2054742']
ok here we go, lets try again..
on Oprah, some outakes/promo, including un-aired after show footage
[url="http://gloria.tv/?media=51171&connection=corporate"]http://gloria.tv/?me...ction=corporate[/url]
---
and
[url="http://gloria.tv/?media=1188"]http://gloria.tv/?media=1188[/url]
-
[url="http://gloria.tv/?media=46904"]http://gloria.tv/?media=46904[/url]
pax
[/quote]

Hi EJames2 -- thanks for posting the other two links with that!

I'd never seen that second one. Most excellent! :)

Edited by laetitia crucis

JMJ
YAY! I just watched the show on Youtube. They did a wonderful job. I really liked how when Oprah asked um, sex, <blush> related questions, the sisters answered her head on! The DSMME rule! Feeling that urge again!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Is there a video of the show portion and not just the visit? I cannot seem to find anything on YouTube, and you all have piqued my interest...

I'm really bummed that I missed it! How do I watch the episode? Any insider tips? Looked on youtube and hulu...nothing. The oprah website wasnt' any help either..=(

laetitia crucis

EJames2 posted a good clip from the show.

[url="http://gloria.tv/?media=51171&connection=corporate"]Here[/url].

I don't know where to find the full episode, though. :idontknow:

Perhaps Tridenteen could post where she found it. :)

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='09 February 2010 - 08:19 PM' timestamp='1265771984' post='2054517']

[/quote]

Of course no community is perfect, and it's true that sometimes people in their zeal project a romanticism surrounding religious life that is not, by any means the basis of what religious life is actually about but it sort of sounds like you're implying that they're hiding some deep, dark, horrible secrets (although I'm sure you didn't mean it to). And especially because any random searching for more info about the show might come across this thread and wonder what you're referring to that is "NEVER shown to the public" (Phatmass threads show up on Google pretty quickly after they're posted... like around 15-36 hours later), someone might easily come to the conclusion that you're talking about some pretty serious deception, which I highly doubt is the case.

The opinions of people that already romanticize or condemn religious life are not likely to be greatly influenced to change based on what anyone tells them about religious life, as we can see on the comments people have made on Oprah's page... and a short documentary about a community isn't really going to tell anyone completely what they're like... but just because they don't open up all of their imperfections to the public forum doesn't mean that what the documentary did show was misleading.

But yeah, we do definitely need to pray for all of them!

Just my .02, for what its worth.

Edited by zunshynn

Indwelling Trinity

Agreed that no community should have to hang their dirty clothes out for all to see, but a little more openess on the realities that we are just humans doing our best might be encouraging for others to hear too.

I LOVE Dominicans... but also know that they are excellent apologists! Razzzzzzzzzberry! I can feel the onslaught begin! laughing... go ahead scalp me!!!:rolling: