An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dsmme To Appear On Oprah

HisChild

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Guadalupe23' date='13 February 2010 - 12:19 PM' timestamp='1266077943' post='2056436']
I've been following this conversation and you all have hit on a lot of great topics. I watched the show and thought it was definitely taken from a secular point of view (thus all of the questions about sex and giving "things" up). The sisters, I thought, put it all in simple terms that would allow the average non-theologian to comprehend! St. Alphonsus (my man!!!) says to take people where they are and then gradually build them to understand the love of God and above all the message that GOD LOVES THEM!

I lived in community too, and I think it is pretty well known that it is definitely not at all happy-go-lucky all the time! The show definitely romanticized the sisters and their life style but I walked away more inspired than anything. I would show the video to my mom because, actually, she can't get over the whole celibacy thing either!! She is a faithful catholic herself, but I can see her asking those same questions! Its interesting....the Spirit graces us all different levels of Wisdom.

Paz en Cristo
[/quote]

Oprah reruns here around 10:30pm -- so that evening, I watched that episode with my mother. (She's always been a big Oprah-watcher.) My mother isn't Catholic or really even a practicing Protestant, but I think it was good for her to see. For her, the whole "nun thing" is just a bit [i]strange[/i]. :wacko: I think for her to see these young women talk about religious life in such a positive light was a really good thing. She could see that these young women were not crazy or weird, just normal (Catholic) young women seeking to serve God with their entire lives. (She's had some pretty strange misconceptions about convents... :lol: Maybe she saw some really weird nun movies growing up or something? )

JMJ
Quite frankly, I thought the DSMME did a wonderful job. They were mainly speaking in front of a secular audience, who have probably had little to no contact with religious. There for, they just gave enough for the people to understand, but not too much so as to overwhelm. My math tutor is a non denominational unitarian, and she was explaining to me what the sisters said. She was very "enlightened" about religious. She didn't realize that they are Brides of Christ, and was amazed that they don't take a vow of silece, aren't rigidly austere, etc. So, I give a thumbs up!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='13 February 2010 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1266080467' post='2056458']
JMJ
Quite frankly, I thought the DSMME did a wonderful job. They were mainly speaking in front of a secular audience, who have probably had little to no contact with religious. There for, they just gave enough for the people to understand, but not too much so as to overwhelm. My math tutor is a non denominational unitarian, and she was explaining to me what the sisters said. She was very "enlightened" about religious. She didn't realize that they are Brides of Christ, and was amazed that they don't take a vow of silece, aren't rigidly austere, etc. So, I give a thumbs up!
[/quote]

:clap:

Maybe your math tutor had the same misconceptions that my mother did! :lol:

I give two thumbs up as well! :twothumbsup:

[quote name='Guadalupe23' date='13 February 2010 - 09:19 AM' timestamp='1266077943' post='2056436']
... I walked away more inspired than anything. I would show the video to my mom because, actually, she can't get over the whole celibacy thing either!! She is a faithful catholic herself, but I can see her asking those same questions! Its interesting....the Spirit graces us all different levels of Wisdom.

Paz en Cristo
[/quote]

I was even more pumped up about my vocation as well!!! And it opened up great conversation among my siblings and I. I think after that, my mom felt a little more at peace about my vocation. God has a reason for everything ...

• 4 weeks later...

[size="3"]Feedback from Oprah appearance 'overwhelmingly positive' for Dominican sisters[/size]

Ann Arbor, Mich., Mar 9, 2010 / 06:51 am ([url="http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/feedback_from_oprah_appearance_overwhelmingly_positive_for_dominican_sisters/"]CNA/EWTN News[/url]).-In February, the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharistmade an appearance on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Since then, almost allthe feedback the sisters have received has been overwhelmingly positivethe sister's mission director told CNA/EWTN.

rest of article
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/feedback_from_oprah_appearance_overwhelmingly_positive_for_dominican_sisters/

elizabeth09

I can not believe it. I thought I die and want to heaven if I ever saw one sister/nun on Oprah, ever. Now this happen, and still do not believe it still and I watch it too.