An Old School Catholic Message Board

Satanic Video Games

dominicansoul

Happy_Catholic

I'm a huge fan of Resident Evil. Seriously, it just makes my day. The movies were a complete abortion, though.

I admit, I play incredibly violent video games but I do have a line. My brother's flat mate had a game I saw once and it made me feel spiritually sick, I forget what it's called, but it was on PC in about 1999, where using the same engine as Doom II you were a demon who was fighting up through the bowels of Hell to in the end overthrow satan, absorb his power, then work your way up to killing God. There was a lot of satanic images and it didn't sit well.

While I'll admit there are some games that are a bit dodgey but at teh end of the day, its just another theme to sell games.

I think any game can have the capacity to be satanic if you make it an idol, say, playing it instead of going to Mass.

I can't miss Mass, I fill sick when I do, literally, even when it is accidental like when I get the times wrong on certain days.

YES Battlefield 1942 is classic, loved using the fighter planes on it. I also have Battlefield : Vietnam, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142 (epic), I've played Battlefield Modern Warfare or what ever it was that came out for the xbox (complete rubbish) and I've played Battlefield Bad Company (loved the storyline) and now I'm currently playing the multiplayer demo for Bad Company 2 (completely epic YOU BRING DOWN AN ENTIRE BUILDING!!!!! :shock: )

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='06 February 2010 - 10:02 PM' timestamp='1265522535' post='2052344']
Ever play Resistance? I was quite good at Fall of Man a couple years back.
[/quote]

me and a friend of mine beat the coop for it in a day. i really want to get resistance 2!

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='06 February 2010 - 09:45 PM' timestamp='1265510723' post='2052262']
I was told about Assasin's creed that it's not just some Muslim win-all thing. You're more of a killer for hire. My roomie played number two and apparently you're Catholic and Italian. Go figure. Anywho, I notice a bit of a trend too. The only good games anymore are from Valve, such as Half-Life series and others. Last time I played a game that involved the devil was Diablo II, and my mission was to bring the banhammer down on Diablo himself. True story.
[/quote]
I doubt that a canadien can hold his own in Diablo II :hehehe:

I know I will probably get smited by someone but...I've never played Diablo *cringes and prepares for the "WHAT!" and "GASP!"*

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='PaladinSoG' date='07 February 2010 - 10:32 AM' timestamp='1265556769' post='2052474']
I know I will probably get smited by someone but...I've never played Diablo *cringes and prepares for the "WHAT!" and "GASP!"*
[/quote]
I've never played Diablo. I think it's a bad idea to bring things into my home with demonic titles on them.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='07 February 2010 - 01:59 AM' timestamp='1265529560' post='2052381']
me and a friend of mine beat the coop for it in a day. i really want to get resistance 2!
[/quote]
I only played Resistance II a couple times. Didn't find it as fun, although I didn't really give it a chance.
Both my brothers liked it.

Dante's Inferno ... "fighting demons, “unbaptized babies” and other tormented souls." Do you get to battle single mothers, too?

dominicansoul

i play "frogger" and "pac-man" :mellow:

i'm with raphael, anything...absolutely anything that has satanic undertones i would most definitely not play nor bring into my home...

Ephrem Augustine

I liked Tekken 1 - 3, but there were all sorts of hodge-podge attempts to include angels and demons that fell short, as most japanese anime tends to fail in understanding christianity. I almost wanted to wonder that upon first reading the title... Except that some of these titles are American. The question then rages, how much American pop culture fails to understand Christianity. Otherwise it looks a lot like Gnosticism: The serpent in the garden was really the angel of light who wanted to free the Adam and Eve from the oppressive demiurge creator and deceiver.
Otherwise, games like Street Fighter and King of Fighters have also been in my top five. Mortal Kombat became too weird for me, but it probably could be just as demonic.

[quote name='notardillacid' date='07 February 2010 - 03:23 AM' timestamp='1265531029' post='2052389']
I doubt that a canadien can hold his own in Diablo II :hehehe:
[/quote]
That sir, sounds like a challenge.

[quote name='Ephrem Augustine' date='07 February 2010 - 12:59 PM' timestamp='1265565565' post='2052539']
I liked Tekken 1 - 3, but there were all sorts of hodge-podge attempts to include angels and demons that fell short, as most japanese anime tends to fail in understanding christianity. I almost wanted to wonder that upon first reading the title... Except that some of these titles are American. The question then rages, how much American pop culture fails to understand Christianity. Otherwise it looks a lot like Gnosticism: The serpent in the garden was really the angel of light who wanted to free the Adam and Eve from the oppressive demiurge creator and deceiver.
Otherwise, games like Street Fighter and King of Fighters have also been in my top five. Mortal Kombat became too weird for me, but it probably could be just as demonic.
[/quote]
Interesting thoughts. Btw, I think Mortal Combat is Japanese.

Another pretty "demonic" game I've witnessed/played that has a great concept but got taken too far (hence me labelling it) is "Dungeon Keeper (II)". You get to carve out underground hallways and rooms and stuff and make it defensible against "good guys". It got pretty hardcore on the evil thing though near the end and I just had to say 'stop'. It makes fun of the traditional dungeon crawl. Would have been interesting if you could play as the good guys in a similar fashion as the "bad". They just had the focus on the antagonists. But... at least the ESRB was nice enough to rate it "M".

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='06 February 2010 - 06:56 PM' timestamp='1265500563' post='2052191']
At one point you have to defeat Pontius Pilate [/quote]
Heard he's good at ground and pound, but not much of a striker.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Era Might' date='07 February 2010 - 04:36 PM' timestamp='1265578570' post='2052667']
The last video game console I owned was Nintendo 64.

"It's a-me, a-Mario." :mario:
[/quote]
Last console I owned was an NES.

[img]http://www.becks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/nes-console.jpg[/img]

Wow... I remember when that actually looked futuristic and cool.

Best game ever:

[img]http://levelselect.co.uk/images/download-nes-02.jpg[/img]