An Old School Catholic Message Board

Home Altar

KeenanParkerII

KeenanParkerII
:shock: Soooo nice. It gives an air of things moving upwards, which is certainly the point of a prayer corner. = )

PS: We have the same Bible.

Thank you. I LOVE it. I sit there on my prayer bench and just let my prayers lift.

I'm getting some Byzantine tapers which are thinner than the taper in the pic. That bowl was a fabulous find at Hobby Lobby as was the cross candelabra with votive cups behind the crosses.

Thank you. The candelabra was $20. The wooden bowl with the candle was 6. The hanging lamp was from World Market. It was only about 15. I couldn't find it on their site anymore (I've had it for a while) but here's the link of it close up: http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/red-cathedral-lanterns

I just brought a condo ... and one of the rooms will be my prayer room (with pictures, a cross, etc). I'm leaning towards a room that is already painted sky blue; it just feels like the room. I had originally picked a different room ... but alas the previous owners had a cat so the rugs need to be pulled/cleaned before it will work!

I have a prayer shrine. My most favorite item on it is a gorgeous crucifix which is actually a Last Rites kit with the rolled up prayers and Holy Water bottle inside it. I found it at an antique shop for $10. I also have:

A statue of the Sacred Heart
A statue of the Blessed Virgin Mother as Our Lady of Graces
A statue of St. Therese of Lisieux
A Chi Ro vigil candle (which can't be lit since I'm not sure if the wick is lead-free)
An icon of the Theotokos and Christ the Divine Teacher that my mom bought me at a Greek Orthodox shrine
A rose blessed during the feast of St. Therese of Lisieux in 2008
and a third class relic of Fr. Solanus Casey that I received when I visited the CFR sisters last month

My shrine is not on a table, however, since my room is rather small. I have a shelf that I purchased at a thrift shop for $3. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

[quote name='cmariadiaz' date='09 February 2010 - 10:34 PM' timestamp='1265780060' post='2054601']
I just brought a condo ... and one of the rooms will be my prayer room (with pictures, a cross, etc). I'm leaning towards a room that is already painted sky blue; it just feels like the room. I had originally picked a different room ... but alas the previous owners had a cat so the rugs need to be pulled/cleaned before it will work!
[/quote]

I have an extra bedroom that I was going to use as a home chapel, but I wanted to be able to see this all the time, so I placed it in my living room. I also like that because it tells others what is important when they enter my home. I have other icons and statues scattered throughout my home, and little by little I'll be getting more to replace secular pictures. I have an icon of the Ladder of Divine Ascent as well as one of the Divine Bridegroom that will be coming soon. Perfect for Great Lent.

KeenanParkerII

[quote]I just brought a condo ... and one of the rooms will be my prayer room (with pictures, a cross, etc). I'm leaning towards a room that is already painted sky blue; it just feels like the room. I had originally picked a different room ... but alas the previous owners had a cat so the rugs need to be pulled/cleaned before it will work![/quote]

You [size="3"][b]brought[/b][/size] a condo huh? :D That's really cool though, minus having to pull the rugs. Dedicating an entire room to a prayer shrine's a worthy sacrifice.

[quote]I have a prayer shrine. My most favorite item on it is a gorgeous crucifix which is actually a Last Rites kit with the rolled up prayers and Holy Water bottle inside it. I found it at an antique shop for $10. I also have:

A statue of the Sacred Heart
A statue of the Blessed Virgin Mother as Our Lady of Graces
A statue of St. Therese of Lisieux
A Chi Ro vigil candle (which can't be lit since I'm not sure if the wick is lead-free)
An icon of the Theotokos and Christ the Divine Teacher that my mom bought me at a Greek Orthodox shrine
A rose blessed during the feast of St. Therese of Lisieux in 2008
and a third class relic of Fr. Solanus Casey that I received when I visited the CFR sisters last month

My shrine is not on a table, however, since my room is rather small. I have a shelf that I purchased at a thrift shop for $3[/quote]

Nice, liking the idea of the crucifix with holy water and prayers in it, kinda like a spiritual first aid kit. So why would your candle have lead in the wick?

[quote]I have an extra bedroom that I was going to use as a home chapel, but I wanted to be able to see this all the time, so I placed it in my living room. I also like that because it tells others what is important when they enter my home. I have other icons and statues scattered throughout my home, and little by little I'll be getting more to replace secular pictures. I have an icon of the Ladder of Divine Ascent as well as one of the Divine Bridegroom that will be coming soon. Perfect for Great Lent.[/quote]

Good point. I was told that if you're a Catholic someone should be able to tell as soon as they walk into your house.

Edited by KeenanParkerII

I don't have a camera. If I ever get one I will put a picture of my shrine on here.

I have it in the corner of my bedroom - a small table with a little wooden prayer stool in front of it. On the wall, at the centre of the shrine, is my crucifix. I searched for a long time before I bought this crucifix. When I saw it, I was immediately drawn to the expression on His face, and the loving detail that the artist had ued - even though the crucifix is small, the artist has taken care to put in the wound on His shoulder, the cuts to His knees.

To one side of the crucifix I have [url="http://www.southwellbooks.com/sacred-heart-picture-3179-p.asp"]this[/url] beautiful painting of the Sacred Heart. It was a Christmas gift that I got this year, and in real life it is even lovelier and more prayerful than it is in the photo. To the other I have an icon of Our Lady of Korsun and the child Jesus. I got this in a monastery, very moved by the way that the baby Jesus is snuggled into Mary's neck. She has inclined her head to his so that they are both comfortable together. Along with Rublev's icon of the Blessed Trinity, which is also hanging on my wall, this is one of my favourite icons.

On the table I have a little statue of Mary (the Rosa Mystica). It belonged to my grandma before she died. I also keep my Bible and a couple of prayer books on there. (My rosary is always in the pocket of whatever I happen to be wearing.) It's simple, but I'm at home there.

[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='10 February 2010 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1265810172' post='2054661']
Good point. I was told that if you're a Catholic someone should be able to tell as soon as they walk into your house.
[/quote]

Well the Picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe on the mantle above the fireplace in my condo should be a dead giveaway :D

Edited by cmariadiaz

KeenanParkerII

[quote]I don't have a camera. If I ever get one I will put a picture of my shrine on here.

I have it in the corner of my bedroom - a small table with a little wooden prayer stool in front of it. On the wall, at the centre of the shrine, is my crucifix. I searched for a long time before I bought this crucifix. When I saw it, I was immediately drawn to the expression on His face, and the loving detail that the artist had ued - even though the crucifix is small, the artist has taken care to put in the wound on His shoulder, the cuts to His knees.

To one side of the crucifix I have this beautiful painting of the Sacred Heart. It was a Christmas gift that I got this year, and in real life it is even lovelier and more prayerful than it is in the photo. To the other I have an icon of Our Lady of Korsun and the child Jesus. I got this in a monastery, very moved by the way that the baby Jesus is snuggled into Mary's neck. She has inclined her head to his so that they are both comfortable together. Along with Rublev's icon of the Blessed Trinity, which is also hanging on my wall, this is one of my favourite icons.

On the table I have a little statue of Mary (the Rosa Mystica). It belonged to my grandma before she died. I also keep my Bible and a couple of prayer books on there. (My rosary is always in the pocket of whatever I happen to be wearing.) It's simple, but I'm at home there. [/quote]

Sounds really nice. Hopefully we'll see a pic, but I know pictures don't do these things justice. I set up a little area on my pillow every night and by the time I'm done praying/reading scripture, I swear even my pillow-shrine feels special and holy. = D

Edited by KeenanParkerII

laetitia crucis

[quote name='HisChild' date='10 February 2010 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1265853662' post='2055008']
Love it! LOL I can't imagine anyone would think anything else BUT that you're Roman Catholic!
[/quote]

Before I entered the convent, I painted a HUGE image of Our Lady of Guadalupe on our back porch door -- glass sliding doors. (No worries, the landlord was okay with it since all you need is a little 409 to remove the paint.) After I entered the convent, one of my good friends moved in. This friend is a fallen away Catholic and well, pretty staunchly Protestant now. To say the least, I'm surprised Guadalupe is still there. With her and that hidden green scapular, I'm hoping Mary will bring this friend back to the Church. :pray:

It's the little things, ya know? ;) :topsy:

HisChildForever

Here are two pictures from the second shelf of my desk (the whole shelf looks like this, pretty much):

[img]http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2637/room1z.jpg[/img] [img]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6381/room2.jpg[/img]

And here is my night table, home to many of my Catholic books:

[img]http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3346/room3z.jpg[/img]

The ribbons in my Bible are not equal lengths because my cat likes to chew on them. <_<