princessgianna Posted March 5, 2010 Posted March 5, 2010 [quote name='Tridenteen' date='01 March 2010 - 10:21 PM' timestamp='1267500119' post='2065104'] JMJ I have heard, do you have a teddy bear to hold on to? that there are a minimum of two tests a week. Memorazation of long lists of conjegated verbs are required, you are required to write a paper a quarter completely in latin. The list goes on, and on, and on. Gianna, are your parents making you take a language? [/quote] ahh This may be why my parents and I don't do it. I take Japanese. This year marks my 3 year of instruction. It's fun. I hope to keep it up. You take German -right?
Tridenteen Posted March 6, 2010 Author Posted March 6, 2010 [quote name='princessgianna' date='05 March 2010 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1267814553' post='2067138'] ahh This may be why my parents and I don't do it. I take Japanese. This year marks my 3 year of instruction. It's fun. I hope to keep it up. You take German -right? [/quote] JMJ I don't do latin, and I take the bare essentials in Seton, less subjects, less stress. Less stress, less asthma! I have heard from several people Japanese is fun, is it hard to pick up, and do you ever get a chance to use it?
princessgianna Posted March 6, 2010 Posted March 6, 2010 [quote name='Tridenteen' date='05 March 2010 - 09:11 PM' timestamp='1267841464' post='2067309'] JMJ I don't do latin, and I take the bare essentials in Seton, less subjects, less stress. Less stress, less asthma! I have heard from several people Japanese is fun, is it hard to pick up, and do you ever get a chance to use it? [/quote] Ahh I see. LOL Don't blame you! I get to use it in class. And I like teaching it to my siblings. My japanese teacher is really good and believe me it's all baby steps.
Nihil Obstat Posted March 6, 2010 Posted March 6, 2010 I'm still seriously considering taking Japanese. Beautiful language.
princessgianna Posted March 6, 2010 Posted March 6, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='05 March 2010 - 11:48 PM' timestamp='1267850905' post='2067385'] I'm still seriously considering taking Japanese. Beautiful language. [/quote] You should. I could be your private online help (at no cost because I am such a wonderful sister in Chirst! )
Nihil Obstat Posted March 6, 2010 Posted March 6, 2010 [quote name='princessgianna' date='05 March 2010 - 10:50 PM' timestamp='1267851037' post='2067388'] You should. I could be your private online help (at no cost because I am such a wonderful sister in Chirst! ) [/quote] I'll let you know what I decide for next year. At this point I'm thinking that if I get a humanities option, I'll bite the bullet and sign up. If I don't, I'll have to think up a new option.
princessgianna Posted March 6, 2010 Posted March 6, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='05 March 2010 - 11:52 PM' timestamp='1267851154' post='2067390'] I'll let you know what I decide for next year. At this point I'm thinking that if I get a humanities option, I'll bite the bullet and sign up. If I don't, I'll have to think up a new option. [/quote] well follow your heart!
Nihil Obstat Posted March 6, 2010 Posted March 6, 2010 (edited) I just now checked my program requirements for next year. It's wide open; I'm loving it! In fact, four of my ten courses are wide, wide open. I get two non commerce options, which if I choose, can certainly be Japanese, and then I get two "senior level" humanities, social science, or science courses. Since it's senior level, Japanese wouldn't count, unless I defer those to next year and was thinking about taking 300 level Japanese courses. Decisions decisions. Life is so much fun. Which do you find more challenging about Japanese; sentence structure, or word form? Edited March 6, 2010 by Nihil Obstat
Resurrexi Posted March 6, 2010 Posted March 6, 2010 [quote name='Tridenteen' date='01 March 2010 - 10:21 PM' timestamp='1267500119' post='2065104'] JMJ I have heard, do you have a teddy bear to hold on to? that there are a minimum of two tests a week. Memorazation of long lists of conjegated verbs are required, you are required to write a paper a quarter completely in latin. The list goes on, and on, and on. Gianna, are your parents making you take a language? [/quote] Latin is so much fun and completely worth it!
veggietales Posted March 6, 2010 Posted March 6, 2010 [quote name='Resurrexi' date='06 March 2010 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1267900968' post='2067564'] Latin is so much fun and completely worth it! [/quote] really? cuz i was thinking of taking it...
Tridenteen Posted March 7, 2010 Author Posted March 7, 2010 [quote name='Resurrexi' date='06 March 2010 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1267900968' post='2067564'] Latin is so much fun and completely worth it! [/quote] JMJ It really isn't. We tried it then stopped. Very confusing. Or is it just going between vulgar latin and hingh latin that has us confused?
Tridenteen Posted March 8, 2010 Author Posted March 8, 2010 JMJ So this week, I want to finish my researcch thesis, book analysis on A Christmas Carol (this is my third time writing one in the duration of my life [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_roll.gif[/img] ) and then I need to sumit a character sketch on Where the Red Fern Grows, and finally write a morality essay. WEEE! Then I am into third quarter, and the only assignment for that I need to submit is final copy of thesis! Then I just need to do Geography, and I am good to go. What's up for you guys this week?
princessgianna Posted March 11, 2010 Posted March 11, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='05 March 2010 - 11:59 PM' timestamp='1267851576' post='2067394'] I just now checked my program requirements for next year. It's wide open; I'm loving it! In fact, four of my ten courses are wide, wide open. I get two non commerce options, which if I choose, can certainly be Japanese, and then I get two "senior level" humanities, social science, or science courses. Since it's senior level, Japanese wouldn't count, unless I defer those to next year and was thinking about taking 300 level Japanese courses. Decisions decisions. Life is so much fun. Which do you find more challenging about Japanese; sentence structure, or word form? [/quote] nice......... neither -pronunciation. They speak so fast, a word will appear to be 5 syllables and they will run it into two! I am so glad Americans NEVER do that!
Nihil Obstat Posted March 11, 2010 Posted March 11, 2010 [quote name='princessgianna' date='10 March 2010 - 07:21 PM' timestamp='1268270473' post='2070652'] nice......... neither -pronunciation. They speak so fast, a word will appear to be 5 syllables and they will run it into two! I am so glad Americans NEVER do that! [/quote] Ah, interesting...... How about writing?
princessgianna Posted March 12, 2010 Posted March 12, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='11 March 2010 - 12:25 AM' timestamp='1268285152' post='2070757'] Ah, interesting...... How about writing? [/quote] FUN! I am so serious! Not difficult at all! Very beautiful!
Tridenteen Posted March 13, 2010 Author Posted March 13, 2010 [quote name='princessgianna' date='12 March 2010 - 03:53 PM' timestamp='1268427193' post='2071986'] FUN! I am so serious! Not difficult at all! Very beautiful! [/quote] JMJ I have always wanted to learn how to do Japanese calligraphy, but it would definitley be too hard for my feeble brain. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_roll.gif[/img]
Nihil Obstat Posted March 13, 2010 Posted March 13, 2010 [quote name='princessgianna' date='12 March 2010 - 02:53 PM' timestamp='1268427193' post='2071986'] FUN! I am so serious! Not difficult at all! Very beautiful! [/quote] [quote name='Tridenteen' date='12 March 2010 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1268447960' post='2072148'] JMJ I have always wanted to learn how to do Japanese calligraphy, but it would definitley be too hard for my feeble brain. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_roll.gif[/img] [/quote] Well I'm hearing lots of good reasons to take it and not many reasons not to. I looked it up online, and the general consensus is that pronunciation is simple (not nearly as many phonemes as English, which I knew already) and sentence structure is not as complex as English, though different. The biggest difficulty I've heard is writing in....... Kanji? Is that the hard one? Don't remember.
princessgianna Posted March 13, 2010 Posted March 13, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='12 March 2010 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1268451500' post='2072187'] Well I'm hearing lots of good reasons to take it and not many reasons not to. I looked it up online, and the general consensus is that pronunciation is simple (not nearly as many phonemes as English, which I knew already) and sentence structure is not as complex as English, though different. The biggest difficulty I've heard is writing in....... Kanji? Is that the hard one? Don't remember. [/quote] 私の魚はNihilさんをたびます!
Nihil Obstat Posted March 14, 2010 Posted March 14, 2010 [quote name='princessgianna' date='13 March 2010 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1268519121' post='2072516'] 私の魚はNihilさんをたびます! [/quote] I appreciate the gesture, but English (or even French) would be a bit more effective.
Tridenteen Posted March 14, 2010 Author Posted March 14, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='13 March 2010 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1268535119' post='2072610'] I appreciate the gesture, but English (or even French) would be a bit more effective. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/upsidedown.gif[/img] [/quote] JMJ What do you mean "is there another option"!!!! There were more than enough options as it was
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now