tinytherese Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 (edited) How sad it is that so many parents think that just dropping their kids off at any ol' ccd or Catholic school is enough to instruct them in the faith.So then catechists are often expected to teach them everything. Parish and school catechesis is only supposed to be supplemental to what parents teacher their kids. Edited March 15, 2010 by tinytherese
cmotherofpirl Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 [quote name='Ziggamafu' date='14 March 2010 - 04:26 PM' timestamp='1268598364' post='2073055'] I am basically referring to any parish-based ministries that facilitate a young child's sense of need, acceptance, and participation. When a child walks into most Protestant buildings, the child is immediately aware of (and sometimes in awe of) a myriad of opportunities and activities that SCREAM, "You are important to us, you are welcome, we love you, and we include you - no strings attached!" Other posts have mentioned examples these various activities. At Mass, children get the idea that Church is [i]mostly [/i]for grown-ups; sure I have educated my pre-schooler to the best of my ability, but even for her, although she understands that [i]everyone [/i]goes to Mass to receive Jesus and [i]everyone [/i]gives themselves to Jesus, the [i]way [/i]this takes place revolves around the adults. To make matters worse, she gets to look at her Eucharistic Jesus, but she can't touch or receive Him. And then all the grown-ups file out for grown-up coffee and grown-up conversations (if they even stay at all). I am proud that my little four year old actually understands and appreciates her "visits to Jesus", but she's gotta feel a little left out. And I know she was hurt and confused when she was kicked out of Sunday-school after the priest had told her and all the other parish children to go. And what of the lack of something as simple as a nursery? Some parishes provide a "cry room" but none that I have seen amount to anything close to a facility that says "we care" per the social and financial standards that America is blessed to have. Usually, if there is any space allotted at all, it is a dark, box-like room that says, "Ew. You are annoying us. To the shadows with you!" So what happens when your child is fussy? Perhaps she missed her nap time. Perhaps she is a bit sick, though not so sick that you feel warrant to skip Mass. Perhaps anything. The point is you have a fussy child and it would be rude to stay in the sanctuary. In most Protestant buildings, there would be luxurious mini-estates with full-service fine dining and Bible themed mascots handing out children activities based on the day's sermon. Perhaps a complimentary humpback whale. Anything to help the child ease out of fussiness and relieve a parent's sky-rocketing stress level. What do you get at most Catholic churches? Empty hallways and adult-themed decorations. Maybe a pamphlet on how to cope with aging or fliers that advertise local retirement communities (if you're lucky, they might at least have colorful pictures to distract your screaming kid). That's it. [/quote] I don't see the need for kid-themed stuff at Church, we go there to be with Jesus as members of the Body of Christ, not to socialize or be entertained. If your child fusses you stand in the back of the Church til they quiet down. I spend many a year listening to Fathers' homily thru the glass doors. Kids participate at Mass when they learn to sing, kneel, stand and go to Communion when they become of age, sing in the choir etc, and serve the Church. The Church should offer a wider variety of activities for young people outside of Sunday Mass, but not as an alternative activity.
aalpha1989 Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='14 March 2010 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1268600378' post='2073091'] I am not for establishing "Children's Liturgies," because the liturgy is not about creating separate groups within the parish, nor is it about meeting social "needs." [/quote] agreed. This is my objection to Lifeteen (and teen Masses in general) [quote] Now, part of the problem with the Church today is that many parishes, for a variety of reasons, are simply too large. A parish - according to tradition - should have ONE Eucharistic liturgy on Sunday, and not several, because the one Eucharist signifies the unity of the one Body of Christ in that geographic location. In fact, in the ancient Church it was forbidden to celebrate the Eucharist multiple times on a single altar on the same day. This tradition is still maintained among Eastern Orthodox Christians, who intentionally keep their parishes small. When a parish gets too large, a group of families is sent off to found another Christian temple, which may only be a few blocks or a few miles away, and this "eastern" practice is not unique, because the Roman Catholic Church used to do the same thing, and anyone who walks around in a city like San Francisco can see that this was the case, because Catholic Churches can be found only a few blocks away from each other (although most now are sadly closed in favor of mega-Churches). [/quote] I generally agree, but I don't have a problem with having a morning Low Mass (or "lower" Mass, for NO parishes) and a midday High Mass (and likewise, "higher" Masses). Also, there are those for whom work on Sunday is truly a necessity. Having multiple Liturgies makes it more possible for them to attend Mass. [quote] Education programs, fun activities, Bible camps, etc., are all great ideas, and I would encourage the creation of things like that for kids in every parish, but worship is something that manifests the one body of Christ, which is why I am opposed to "Children's Liturgies," "Teen Liturgies," "Polka Liturgies," "Senior Citizen Liturgies," and whatever other kind of worship service that a modern liturgist can devise. [/quote] oh, you covered the teen Masses. [quote name='Ziggamafu' date='14 March 2010 - 05:38 PM' timestamp='1268602724' post='2073116'] Apo, I think you have gathered how much I respect and envy some aspects of Eastern culture (to say nothing of Eastern theology). There are a lot of areas in which I think the East is better than the West. I have that fundamental contention regarding the developmental awareness of doctrine, but that's about it. I think you are correct about the ideal of Mass being celebrated as a family. [b]That doesn't mean a parish shouldn't do everything it can to facilitate the needs of the very young. [/b] [b]Little children should have a plethora of free opportunities to [i][u]socially bond[/u] in their [i]parish[/i]-family and [u]communally learn[/u] and practice their faith[/i] in exciting, age-appropriate ways.[/b] [b]You don't have to come up with replacement-liturgies in order to do that (although if you do have a Liturgy of the Word for children, you best mean it when, during Mass, you welcome ALL the little children get up and go to it). The social-sphere of childhood faith-development and facilitation of parent/child-related needs is what I see being horribly neglected in Catholic parishes of my area. The Protestants are putting us to shame.[/b] [/quote] I object strongly to the idea of using the Children's Liturgy of the Word as an opportunity for bonding socially. The Liturgy was never meant to be that opportunity, and it is the job of the parent to provide age appropriate worship in the home. Of course I don't mind gathering outside of Mass to pray with children, but it is a terrible mistake to take them away from the Mass. [quote name='Apotheoun' date='14 March 2010 - 05:53 PM' timestamp='1268603632' post='2073129'] Liturgy is life, and life is a little bit messy. [/quote] Ideally life isn't messy, and the Liturgy reflects the ideal spiritual order.
Brother Adam Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 [quote name='tinytherese' date='14 March 2010 - 11:17 PM' timestamp='1268619478' post='2073249'] How sad it is that so many parents think that just dropping their kids off at any ol' ccd or Catholic school is enough to instruct them in the faith.So then catechists are often expected to teach them everything. Parish and school catechesis is only supposed to be supplemental to what parents teacher their kids. [/quote] You are lucky if that is the reason they are dropping them off. Half the time it is an hour of insanely cheap babysitting.
MissyP89 Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 My dear friend is a mother of three, two young girls and one about to arrive. She's an Episcopalian convert, and has been driven to tears more than once by the horrible things people have said to her during and after Mass when her children cry. The priest has been similarly cold to her, and finally, when one parishioner suggested she might not come again until the children were older, she left. She's now back at her old church where her children are accepted and loved. It causes her a great deal of pain, but when her oldest started asking her why everyone was so mean to them, she felt it was all she could do for the good of her family. Our children need to not be pushed back into a segregated corner where they are left to feel not good enough for Jesus, and welcomed. They need to be educated by the parents, yes, but in a world where the catechesis at home is next to nothing, parishes need to respond. Not one of the people that went through CCD with me goes to Mass today. I came back to the Church through Phatmass, and not through any act of my parish. I was actually turned away by my first parish because of a physical disability. They told my mother that unless I was in a wheelchair I couldn't attend CCD as they were afraid of the legal action should I fall on the property. Needless to say my parents have a very low opinion of the Church, and now that I've returned, they can't understand how I can be a part of the same organization that rejected me. I guess the best thing we can do is roll up our sleeves and get in there, you know? As soon as I have the means, I'm going to teach CCD. I don't ever want kids to walk away with the "Catholicism" I believed after Confirmation.
tinytherese Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 [quote name='MissyP89' date='15 March 2010 - 12:14 AM' timestamp='1268630082' post='2073360'] My dear friend is a mother of three, two young girls and one about to arrive. She's an Episcopalian convert, and has been driven to tears more than once by the horrible things people have said to her during and after Mass when her children cry. The priest has been similarly cold to her, and finally, when one parishioner suggested she might not come again until the children were older, she left. She's now back at her old church where her children are accepted and loved. It causes her a great deal of pain, but when her oldest started asking her why everyone was so mean to them, she felt it was all she could do for the good of her family. Our children need to not be pushed back into a segregated corner where they are left to feel not good enough for Jesus, and welcomed. They need to be educated by the parents, yes, but in a world where the catechesis at home is next to nothing, parishes need to respond. Not one of the people that went through CCD with me goes to Mass today. I came back to the Church through Phatmass, and not through any act of my parish. I was actually turned away by my first parish because of a physical disability. They told my mother that unless I was in a wheelchair I couldn't attend CCD as they were afraid of the legal action should I fall on the property. Needless to say my parents have a very low opinion of the Church, and now that I've returned, they can't understand how I can be a part of the same organization that rejected me. I guess the best thing we can do is roll up our sleeves and get in there, you know? As soon as I have the means, I'm going to teach CCD. I don't ever want kids to walk away with the "Catholicism" I believed after Confirmation. [/quote] That's so sad. Preaching and emphasizing to love one's neighbor and then to treat other parishioners like that is hypocritical and disgraceful.
MissyP89 Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 No kidding! It also makes apologetics nearly impossible with my family. I try to preach the Gospel, and the response I usually get is "Well, then why do they not DO those things?" Honestly, if not for the Real Presence, I'd have left a long time ago. I was almost in tears by the time Mass was over this week at how [i]dead[/i] my parish is. I've been going to the Newman house, and it's sobering to know the Church out in "the real world" isn't like that at all. Thank God for His grace sustaining me, that's all I can say.
tinytherese Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 [quote name='MissyP89' date='15 March 2010 - 12:32 AM' timestamp='1268631138' post='2073366'] I try to preach the Gospel, and the response I usually get is "Well, then why do they not DO those things?" [/quote] That's definitely a big stumbling block in evangelizing. As St. Francis of Assissi is quoted, "Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words when necessary." Just imagine how many more converts and reverts we could get if every single Catholic did what the Church taught and stood for and lived out the true spirit of the faith.
Jesus_lol Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 [quote name='MissyP89' date='14 March 2010 - 10:14 PM' timestamp='1268630082' post='2073360'] My dear friend is a mother of three, two young girls and one about to arrive. She's an Episcopalian convert, and has been driven to tears more than once by the horrible things people have said to her during and after Mass when her children cry. The priest has been similarly cold to her, and finally, when one parishioner suggested she might not come again until the children were older, she left. She's now back at her old church where her children are accepted and loved. It causes her a great deal of pain, but when her oldest started asking her why everyone was so mean to them, she felt it was all she could do for the good of her family. Our children need to not be pushed back into a segregated corner where they are left to feel not good enough for Jesus, and welcomed. They need to be educated by the parents, yes, but in a world where the catechesis at home is next to nothing, parishes need to respond. Not one of the people that went through CCD with me goes to Mass today. I came back to the Church through Phatmass, and not through any act of my parish. I was actually turned away by my first parish because of a physical disability. They told my mother that unless I was in a wheelchair I couldn't attend CCD as they were afraid of the legal action should I fall on the property. Needless to say my parents have a very low opinion of the Church, and now that I've returned, they can't understand how I can be a part of the same organization that rejected me. I guess the best thing we can do is roll up our sleeves and get in there, you know? As soon as I have the means, I'm going to teach CCD. I don't ever want kids to walk away with the "Catholicism" I believed after Confirmation. [/quote] thats terrible! when i went to church and there were loud children, our pastor would sometimes bring them up to the front with him. get them to participate, or sit in the cool chairs, look at the cool religious stuff, paintings etc, or sometimes if he was doing a piece on a story from the bible, he might get them to read out part, say on the story of Moses. that was a cool guy.
Archaeology cat Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='14 March 2010 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1268600378' post='2073091'] I am not for establishing "Children's Liturgies," because the liturgy is not about creating separate groups within the parish, nor is it about meeting social "needs." Now, part of the problem with the Church today is that many parishes, for a variety of reasons, are simply too large. A parish - according to tradition - should have ONE Eucharistic liturgy on Sunday, and not several, because the one Eucharist signifies the unity of the one Body of Christ in that geographic location. In fact, in the ancient Church it was forbidden to celebrate the Eucharist multiple times on a single altar on the same day. This tradition is still maintained among Eastern Orthodox Christians, who intentionally keep their parishes small. When a parish gets too large, a group of families is sent off to found another Christian temple, which may only be a few blocks or a few miles away, and this "eastern" practice is not unique, because the Roman Catholic Church used to do the same thing, and anyone who walks around in a city like San Francisco can see that this was the case, because Catholic Churches can be found only a few blocks away from each other (although most now are sadly closed in favor of mega-Churches). Finally, as far as kids screaming is concerned, I do not mind at all when a kid screams at Church, and I honestly would prefer that kids make noise and move around in Church (n.b., in a traditional Eastern parish there are no pews), touching the icons and learning how to make prostrations and venerate icons by seeing their parents and other adults practicing the faith in God's house. I have seen kids cry and make a certain amount of noise in the Orthodox Churches I have visited, and no one seems to mind at all. In fact, that to me IS Church, and I prefer that kind of chaotic activity, which shows the life and vibrancy of God's family, over having cry room closets where we isolate the children as if they are a hindrance to good worship. Education programs, fun activities, Bible camps, etc., are all great ideas, and I would encourage the creation of things like that for kids in every parish, but worship is something that manifests the one body of Christ, which is why I am opposed to "Children's Liturgies," "Teen Liturgies," "Polka Liturgies," "Senior Citizen Liturgies," and whatever other kind of worship service that a modern liturgist can devise. [/quote] I didn't know that about the small parishes, but kinda makes sense. As for chaos, I think what you're describing sounds nice, since you're speaking of the children going around and seeing the icons and learning through that. [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='15 March 2010 - 02:39 AM' timestamp='1268620751' post='2073269'] I don't see the need for kid-themed stuff at Church, we go there to be with Jesus as members of the Body of Christ, not to socialize or be entertained. If your child fusses you stand in the back of the Church til they quiet down. I spend many a year listening to Fathers' homily thru the glass doors. Kids participate at Mass when they learn to sing, kneel, stand and go to Communion when they become of age, sing in the choir etc, and serve the Church. The Church should offer a wider variety of activities for young people outside of Sunday Mass, but not as an alternative activity. [/quote] I had to take my son out of Mass yesterday for a tantrum the first time. Thankfully it didn't last long, as he wanted to go back in. After Mass, the priest remarked that he's never heard my son raise his voice before, but he joked about it and didn't make me feel bad at all. It's nice. I'm always saddened when I hear of, or experience, parents being scolded or whatnot because of a crying child. I suppose I'm lucky that that's only happened to me once, when my son was happily cooing to, er, test the acoustics at the Cathedral.
Apotheoun Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 [quote name='MissyP89' date='14 March 2010 - 11:14 PM' timestamp='1268630082' post='2073360'] My dear friend is a mother of three, two young girls and one about to arrive. She's an Episcopalian convert, and has been driven to tears more than once by the horrible things people have said to her during and after Mass when her children cry. The priest has been similarly cold to her, and finally, when one parishioner suggested she might not come again until the children were older, she left. . . . [/quote] That is terrible, and the actions of the people in that parish are clearly contrary charity. After all Jesus did not say: "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven, [i]but only if they are quiet[/i]." Children are a blessing from the Lord.
Ziggamafu Posted March 15, 2010 Author Posted March 15, 2010 My points are these: 1. Regardless of whether or not liturgies for children are good ideas, if a parish has one and the priest welcomes and encourages all the little ones to go, the kids that excitedly do as Father suggests should not be rejected. 2. Granting that children in the Latin rite cannot receive the Eucharist (and granting that the Mass is adult-oriented), efforts should be made to make sure that there is at least an atmosphere/ambiance, if not materials, conducive to a child's frame of mind. Have you ever had to abstain from the Eucharist during Mass? Doesn't that feel awful? Well at least you are an adult; at least you can reflect on the deeper theology involved, make a spiritual communion, etc. A little child is a little child. Old enough to feel left out and young enough not to be able to rationalize why. I'm not saying that every Mass must cater to the mind of a child, but surely something could be done to make Mass less boring to children. Unlike adults, they can't understand the info in tracts about how to get excited at Mass - or if they understand it, they can't apply it for an hour and a half of mostly sitting still and listening to big words. IF Mass was typically more like the earlier description of a particular Eastern Mass, it might be different. But seriously, think about it: from a small child's perspective, they are only going to Mass to visit Jesus and watch Mommy and Daddy interact with a bunch of other people for over an hour. Kids are messy and the typical Mass is not messy enough for them. It is neat and polished and tidy, full of prim and proper old people who use big words, sit still, and try to be as quiet as possible when the man in robes talks for what seems like days. Slow, sad-sounding lullabies are sung amidst all of this. Worst of all, the children don't even get to receive the Eucharist they came to see in the first place! 3. Parishes should ensure there are adequate facilities for small children. Adults get to have coffee in a social hall after Mass. Why can't kids have juice in a playroom? 4. Look at all of the grown-up magazines, pamphlets, and other various materials that litter the tables and shelves of the narthex. Where is the equal attention to kid-stuff? 5. Parishes should offer more activities and ministries for children outside of Mass and an absurdly expensive preschool. ...say what you will and stick your head in the sand if you want (I'm being general, not speaking to someone here), but Protestant children are excited to go to their congregational services and Catholic children typically dread going to real church.Why? Because in Protestant circles, children are the center of attention and often the center of the budget (even in the "grown-up service" har,har,har). We are talking about children. You can't just say "grow up and appreciate the theological excitement of Catholicism". They are not grown-ups. That's the point.
Apotheoun Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 (edited) The only thing I am opposed to is the idea of altering the liturgy for "groups" among the faithful in order to make them feel better about themselves, because that is not the point of the liturgy. That said, I support doing things outside of the liturgy, e.g., providing age appropriate educational materials about the nature of the liturgy, and about the particular customs in regard to the reception of communion within a given [i]sui juris[/i] Church, etc., because these things help to form a person in the faith. Moreover, educational and recreational programs for children - again outside of the liturgical setting - should be created for those families that would like to make use of them. The Church would not be doing anything new or shocking by creating programs for children, because the creation of the parochial school system in the 19th and 20th centuries was done in order to ensure that newer generations of Catholics were well educated in the faith, while also giving them a sense of belonging to the Church as valued members. Edited March 15, 2010 by Apotheoun
Apotheoun Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 [quote name='Ziggamafu' date='15 March 2010 - 06:51 AM' timestamp='1268657484' post='2073401'] My points are these: . . . 5. Parishes should offer more activities and ministries for children outside of Mass and an absurdly expensive preschool.[/quote] I do not support points 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 seem reasonable. As far as point 5 is concerned, I find it odd . . . are you asking for the creation of absurdly expensive preschools? Or are you saying that the present structure is absurdly expensive and you think it is counterproductive?
Cherie Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 [quote name='Ziggamafu' date='15 March 2010 - 08:51 AM' timestamp='1268657484' post='2073401'] We are talking about children. You can't just say "grow up and appreciate the theological excitement of Catholicism". They are not grown-ups. That's the point. [/quote] You're right, but I definitely think there are some good ways to show the "theological excitement of Catholicism" in a way that is appealing to little children. They LOVE to be excited! I came from an atmosphere where we had the perfect example of this. When I was in the convent, we used to have a public Sunday liturgy, for which a number of nearby families would join us. They all had children of various ages, from college-bound teenagers to little babes-in-arms. They, especially the little children, LOVED to come to Mass. Part of the excitement, I'm sure, was getting to see and talk to the Sisters in their long, flowing, full habits. (Too bad most parishes don't get to see THAT anymore!) The Sisters would talk to the kids before Mass, show them around and show them anything new, e.g. the May Altar we would put up during May, or the Creche scene around Christmas time. Oftentimes, the Sisters would show the kids a book we had (Like [url="http://www.tfp.org/books/jacinta-s-story/flypage.tpl.html"]Jacinta's Story[/url], the best children's book on Fatima that exists) or tell them religious stories, or just ask them questions about themselves. They also had altar boys who started out fairly young, and they loved doing it. The community was Franciscan/Dominican, and they lived that out to the full -- Franciscan incarnational charity and Dominican truth -- a warm, charitable atmosphere in which the Faith is taught and explained clearly. The Mass itself, however, was beautifully reverent -- lovely old hymns, often in Latin -- but there was nothing "child-ish" about it, and the homily that our chaplain gave was VERYYYY LOOONNGGG -- great theological content, but nothing that a little kid would understand. And yet they all sat there just fine -- (ok it wasn't a utopia, sometimes babies would cry, etc!) ... it would give the family a good opportunity to explain the homily to the kids afterward, in terms they would understand (or for kids a little older, to see if they understood more than we give them credit for!) It was a small congregation, so we knew everyone personally, and if a new person or family showed up, we always introduced ourselves and tried to get to know them a little better. I know that kind of atmosphere can't be reproduced in today's larger parishes, but I certainly took a lesson from them and kept it with me. Anytime I see a child in the vestibule who is looking at a statue or something, I smile and show them who it's a statue of, or what they're looking at (all with the parent's permission, of course). In children's terms, of course. Anyway, I suppose that is a bit off-topic but I believe in being proactive. If there's something bothersome or troublesome about the way your parish does things, just roll your eyes and laugh about it. Mention it to someone who can do something about it, then let it go -- if they want to change things, they will, and if they don't, oh well, you did your part. Then take matters into your own hands, or at least as best you can. You probably can't start your own children's program, but you could something similar for your own family. I know it seems Protestant children are excited to go to their services, but the problem I have with a lot of Protestant services is that they are completely based in emotion. Everything "feels good" and it's all great, hip-hip-horray!!!! But what happens when the kids get older and the "feeling" is gone? That is a big part of Catholicism, the fact that we have TRUTH, and truth is truth, no matter what it "feels" like -- it's more meritorious for us to believe when we don't "feel like it" and that's something Protestants often completely miss. I know a Charistmatic Catholic who bemoans that fact -- so much stake is put in the "emotional" aspect of it, that when inevitably those emotions fade at times, they are left with very little to hold on to, since they focused too much on the emotional and not the actual. I guess what I mean is that I really feel like there are certainly ways to make the theological aspects of Catholicism exciting and appealing to children. I did it with my younger brother, and I hope to do it with my own children.
Socrates Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='14 March 2010 - 01:45 PM' timestamp='1268588709' post='2072942'] I am all for programs for children (e.g., outdoor activities, social events, educational programs, etc.), but I am not in favor of separate liturgical services for kids. Families should worship together. [/quote] Agreed.
cmotherofpirl Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 [quote name='Ziggamafu' date='15 March 2010 - 09:51 AM' timestamp='1268657484' post='2073401'] My points are these: 1. Regardless of whether or not liturgies for children are good ideas, if a parish has one and the priest welcomes and encourages all the little ones to go, the kids that excitedly do as Father suggests should not be rejected. 2. Granting that children in the Latin rite cannot receive the Eucharist (and granting that the Mass is adult-oriented), efforts should be made to make sure that there is at least an atmosphere/ambiance, if not materials, conducive to a child's frame of mind. Have you ever had to abstain from the Eucharist during Mass? Doesn't that feel awful? Well at least you are an adult; at least you can reflect on the deeper theology involved, make a spiritual communion, etc. A little child is a little child. Old enough to feel left out and young enough not to be able to rationalize why. I'm not saying that every Mass must cater to the mind of a child, but surely something could be done to make Mass less boring to children. Unlike adults, they can't understand the info in tracts about how to get excited at Mass - or if they understand it, they can't apply it for an hour and a half of mostly sitting still and listening to big words. IF Mass was typically more like the earlier description of a particular Eastern Mass, it might be different. But seriously, think about it: from a small child's perspective, they are only going to Mass to visit Jesus and watch Mommy and Daddy interact with a bunch of other people for over an hour. Kids are messy and the typical Mass is not messy enough for them. It is neat and polished and tidy, full of prim and proper old people who use big words, sit still, and try to be as quiet as possible when the man in robes talks for what seems like days. Slow, sad-sounding lullabies are sung amidst all of this. Worst of all, the children don't even get to receive the Eucharist they came to see in the first place! 3. Parishes should ensure there are adequate facilities for small children. Adults get to have coffee in a social hall after Mass. Why can't kids have juice in a playroom? [/quote] 1. No priest should ever reject a child. Period. 2.Sorry, we should not attempt to change the Mass to please any group. The Mass is the Mass, not entertainment. We sit, stand, kneel pray and sing and children can join in as they are able. Bring your childs picture prayer book of the Mass and they can find the picture of what father is doing next. Teach them to sing the Alleluia, and bless themselves etc. If they cry, you stand in the back of the church til they calm down. 3. I do think a playroom is a good idea after Mass so kids can run off their energies, and in fact could be a promised reward for good behavior:)
Nihil Obstat Posted March 15, 2010 Posted March 15, 2010 Not to sound dismissive, but it seems to me that our current situation is a perfect environment for an informal organization among Catholic parents. A good way to start really getting to know people in your faith community, maybe like the older days of small, tightly knit Church communities? Why not get together with like-minded Catholic families a few times a week? There'd be a pretty decent spread of ages of children, so lots of varied socializing opportunities, plus it's a good opportunity for the adults to get to know each other and share their faith perspective. It's an idea.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now