An Old School Catholic Message Board

Closing Liturgy Of The Los Angeles Religious Education Congress 2010

Apotheoun

I don't think that the RE Congress liturgy exemplified inculturation; instead, it involved a mishmash of things meant to glorify diversity for the sake of diversity.

Well, I only saw the first video so far, but when I heard the opening instrumentals to the second song (the one after the South African song), I honestly thought for a second that they were going to play the "Soul Glo" commercial from the movie "Coming to America".

Ephrem Augustine

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='28 March 2010 - 04:44 PM' timestamp='1269812649' post='2082183']
I don't think that the RE Congress liturgy exemplified inculturation; instead, it involved a mishmash of things meant to glorify diversity for the sake of diversity.
[/quote]
So diversity is an essentially inherently flawed thing?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Ephrem Augustine' date='28 March 2010 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1269815557' post='2082218']
[/quote]
Diversity for the sake of innovation is a flawed thing, as in its not broke but lets change it up anyway.

[quote name='Ephrem Augustine' date='28 March 2010 - 04:32 PM' timestamp='1269815557' post='2082218']
[/quote]
Is that what I said? No. I said that the RE Congress liturgy is glorying in the diversity of "human cultures" simply to be politically correct, because there is in fact no theological purpose behind any of the things that went on there.

In the end, as far as I am concerned, the liturgy performed at the RE Congress was an exercise in narcissistic self-worship, and the performances were not all that good . . . especially the dancing, which has no place in the Roman Rite in North America anyway.

Edited by Apotheoun

cmotherofpirl

It seems the Holy Father wold agree with you.

“We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires... The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties.... We must become mature in this adult faith, we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith.”
Pope Benedict XVI

“Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the church, is often labeled today as a fundamentalism. ... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and 'swept along by every wind of teaching,' looks like the only attitude acceptable to today's standards.”

“Wherever applause breaks out in the liturgy because of some human achievement, it is a sure sign that the essence of liturgy has totally disappeared and been replaced by a kind of religious entertainment. Such attraction fades quickly - it cannot compete in the market of leisure pursuits, incorporating as it increasingly does various forms of religious titillation.”

cmotherofpirl

to continue:
“After the Second Vatican Council, the impression arose that the pope really could do anything in liturgical matters, especially if he were acting on the mandate of an ecumenical council. Eventually, the idea of the givenness of the liturgy, the fact that one cannot do with it what one will, faded from the public consciousness of the West. In fact, the First Vatican Council had in no way defined the pope as an absolute monarch. On the contrary, it presented him as the guarantor of obedience to the revealed Word. The pope's authority is bound to the Tradition of faith, and that also applies to the liturgy. It is not "manufactured" by the authorities. Even the pope can only be a humble servant of its lawful development and abiding integrity and identity. . . . The authority of the pope is not unlimited; it is at the service of Sacred Tradition. . . . The greatness of the liturgy depends - we shall have to repeat this frequently - on its unspontaneity.”

“Unspontaneity is of their essence. In these rites I discover that something is approaching me here that I did not produce myself, that I am entering into something greater than myself, which ultimately derives from divine revelation. This is why the Christian East calls the liturgy the "Divine Liturgy", expressing thereby the liturgy's independence from human control.”

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='28 March 2010 - 10:47 AM' timestamp='1269794875' post='2081991']
We wouldn't have to worry about whether to celebrate Mass in English or in Spanish if the Mass of the Roman Rite were always celebrated in Latin.
[/quote]

[IMG]http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/Veridicus21/FultonSheenSeesWhatYouDidThere.jpg[/IMG]

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='jiyoung' date='27 March 2010 - 05:37 PM' timestamp='1269722251' post='2081506']
I don't want to see... :(

I really hope we get a good bishop when Mahoney retires. Same for Orange.[/quote]

No doubt about that, but at the same time, he'll be someone very "pastoral." Abrupt change either direction causes a lot of people to just tune out, but fortunately we have some good bishops these days.

[quote name='jiyoung' date='27 March 2010 - 05:37 PM' timestamp='1269722251' post='2081506']
PS: I haven't watched the videos--I don't think I can stomach it--but from what I've heard, it's actually gotten better than it's been in previous years. So that makes you wonder what it was like in the past...
[/quote]

Well, they are using incense.

Maximilianus

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='28 March 2010 - 02:51 PM' timestamp='1269798712' post='2082024']
Why did you mention this exactly? Just curious cuz I'm into de las Casas and all that.
[/quote]

Nihil was refering to this post by cmom

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='27 March 2010 - 10:37 PM' timestamp='1269740238' post='2081711']
The contact between the indiginous of South America and the church in fact led the Catholic Church [specifically the Spaniards]to the first discussion of human rights for ALL peoples in history. The fact that the spanish government did not heed the results of this discussion is not the fault of the church.
[/quote]

I just mentioned Fr. Bartolomé since he dealt with what cmom posted about.

Interesting video . . . reminds me of the Lion King:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP5MRTM3RV0[/media]