An Old School Catholic Message Board

Closing Liturgy Of The Los Angeles Religious Education Congress 2010

Apotheoun

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Lil Red' date='27 March 2010 - 05:02 PM' timestamp='1269723742' post='2081530']
+JMJ+

btw, i couldn't help but notice, someone videotaping the liturgy? i thought that wasn't allowed? oh and i love the choice of flip flops for footwear on one of those ladies.

you wanna edit that? before i do?
[/quote]
My mistake, and I just missed the window (by one minute).

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='27 March 2010 - 03:12 PM' timestamp='1269720763' post='2081479']
I will not be sad when +Mahoney no longer holds his current position.
[/quote]

Edit: Sorry my mistake. I looked it up and Mahoney IS the Archbishop of the diocese of Los Angeles. I don't know why the information I read in another source had different information.

[s]Sorry for my ignorance, but Mahoney is not the bishop/Archbishop/Cardinal in charge of the diocese of Los Angeles, right? Who is Mahoney?[/s]

I haven't been able to figure out how to delete a post. It's probably easy and obvious, but I've missed it. If someone has time, will you let me know. Gracias.

Little known factoid: Los Angeles is NOT the "City of Angels." It is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles," in English, "The City of Our Lady, the Queen of the Angels," thus, the city of Mary.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Vincent Vega

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='27 March 2010 - 05:51 PM' timestamp='1269726689' post='2081561']
Sorry for my ignorance, but Mahoney is not the bishop/Archbishop/Cardinal in charge of the diocese of Los Angeles, right? Who is Mahoney?
[/quote]
Yes, he is (Roger Cardinal Mahoney).

Thy Geekdom Come

Unfortunately, religious education is in just as bad of disrepair as the liturgy in many places.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='27 March 2010 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1269726843' post='2081564']
Yes, he is (Roger Cardinal Mahoney).
[/quote]

Thanks for the correction. I was in the process of correcting my mistake while you were posting this.

It turns out that I had been looking at information for the diocese of Los Angeles in Chile! A diocese just as important to God, but not germane to this discussion. :->

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Ephrem Augustine

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='27 March 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1269722292' post='2081509']
Why do liturgists think that they must reinvent the wheel at every liturgical celebration?
[/quote]

There are churches around the world that have existed for centuries, and have traditions that date back centuries, and those traditions have penetrated the liturgical practices in some way or another.
Yet the flip side is, when the Catholic Church came to what is now Latin America, they forced the continent to become in essence Latin America. The Church contributed to violence against the indigenous people of the regions of Central and South America, as well as America, and found clever ways to use theology to justify their sins against the innocent. Somewhere along the lines, the church forgot to let the Spirit move in peoples and cultures, and opted for power control and dominance in exchange.
And all of a sudden, we are in this place, Los Angeles, 2010, where cultures from around the world come into contact, and we are barely asking the same question that the Churches of the East asked more than a millennium ago, we barely have been given the opportunity to do so recently. Asking the question risks some of the wrong answers, but never asking the question only contributes to the divide and the stifling of the Spirit. Asking the right questions presents an opportunity that cannot happen otherwise.
I am from Los Angeles, and trust me giving people clear answers, the kind that, I don't know good simple homogeneous folk in the middle of somewhere, like say Kansas, might be able to enjoy. We are being presented with the challenge to sanctify the identity and gifts of a multitude of people and cultures who we spent centuries oppressing and condemning. Yeah, I am sure the Coptic Christians can take great pride in their traditions, but how can Latino Catholics take pride in their traditions when those traditions cost them humiliation?

I think everyone in this thread supposes there are easy answers when there are clearly none.

Now, youtube does not work through my computer fiddler, so I have seen none of these videos, and I might find some of it too fluffy or nonsensical in the context of a divine event.

I just find the arrogance at which people snub faith devotion incredibly annoying.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='27 March 2010 - 05:30 PM' timestamp='1269725452' post='2081546']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGzExgJRfiA[/media]
[/quote]
Haha! Italian! It sounds closeish to Latin. I understood it, mostly! :lol:

AccountDeleted

So sad I couldn't even watch the videos. It was enough to see the still shots at the beginning of each video to tell me I don't want to. I lived in LA and Orange County far too long and witnessed too much to want to see it again on video. There are good parishes there (the Norbertine Fathers do a good NO) but on the whole, way too much is allowed. One Easter I witnessed a scantily clad woman dance towards the altar to put on the altar cloth and it was almost indecent, certainly it was provocative and sensual. It is so distressing to see the Lord's sacrifice treated like this.

Ephrem Augustine

Who in this thread is not white? I am curious.

One more fact to point out: Mahony was not at the RE Congress this year.

Lilllabettt

[quote name='Ephrem Augustine' date='27 March 2010 - 07:11 PM' timestamp='1269727914' post='2081576']

[b]I am from Los Angeles, and trust me giving people clear answers, the kind that, I don't know good simple homogeneous folk in the middle of somewhere, like say Kansas, might be able to enjoy. [/b] We are being presented with the challenge to sanctify the identity and gifts of a multitude of people and cultures who we spent centuries oppressing and condemning. Yeah, I am sure the Coptic Christians can take great pride in their traditions, but how can Latino Catholics take pride in their traditions when those traditions cost them humiliation?
[/quote]

The bolded part, in addition to making no sense grammatically,

contains a snub against midwesterners

and is indicative of an elitist attitude

that is infamously widespread among denizens of the East and West coast.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Ephrem Augustine' date='27 March 2010 - 06:38 PM' timestamp='1269729522' post='2081586']

[/quote]
I am white, but I am not of Latin heritage, either ancestrally or culturally.

[quote name='Ephrem Augustine' date='27 March 2010 - 06:38 PM' timestamp='1269729522' post='2081586']

One more fact to point out: Mahony was not at the RE Congress this year.
[/quote]
I'm italian.

Married to a mexican.

Born in inglewood, ca

raised in cerritos, ca

went to college in fullerton, ca

worked in riverside, ca

and i have a house in moreno valley, ca

and i was confirmed by Mahoney.

what is your point?