An Old School Catholic Message Board

Receiving Jesus In The Hand...not A Good Idea

alrichey53091

alrichey53091

WOW!!! This video really shows why we should receive Jesus in on our tongues and not our hands!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiUqDa_Gzj0[/media]

IgnatiusofLoyola

I wonder if this video might fit better into a different phorum, since it doesn't directly apply to vocations.

Note: I tried to suggest this via the "Report" button but my computer wouldn't let me. (At least it wouldn't the first time I tried--can't tell if the second time worked or not).

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

laetitia crucis

Wow, thank you for posting this!!

I am definitely going to be posting this to my Facebook.

Perhaps I'm paranoid or scrupulous, but whenever I see people receive Jesus via hand I always wonder, "What if Jesus is still on their hands? On their clothes? On the floor??" :unsure: I've seen so many receive Jesus via hand, then immediately wipe their hands on their clothes afterwards or whatever else people do... :sadder:

Granted, I generally don't stare at people when they receive Jesus, but I am reminded about my own experiences when I first converted. It never crossed my mind that any particles of the Blessed Sacrament could still be on my hands until I visited the CFRs for a week. The first day with them, I was last in line behind the Sisters to receive Jesus and noticed every single one of them receive Jesus via tongue... so I did, too. Awkward at first, but wow... it certainly gave me something to think about, pray about, and ask the Sisters about. To say the least, I never went back to receiving Jesus via hands.

One of the Sisters quoted a few things that really struck me:

[quote]"Wherever I go in the whole world, the thing that makes me the saddest is watching people receive Communion in the hand." - Bl. Teresa of Calcutta

"Behind Communion in the hand—I wish to repeat and make as plain as I can—is a weakening, a conscious, deliberate weakening of faith in the Real Presence...” - Fr. John Hardon, S.J[/quote]

Thank you again, alrichey53091. :)

[size="1"]P.S. -- One of my favorite words is "anathema". You don't hear it very often these days. :lol:[/size]

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='18 April 2010 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1271620455' post='2095715']
I wonder if this video might fit better into a different phorum, since it doesn't directly apply to vocations.

Note: I tried to suggest this via the "Report" button but my computer wouldn't let me. (At least it wouldn't the first time I tried--can't tell if the second time worked or not).
[/quote]

I agree, Ignatius! -- Perhaps a Moderator will see this and move it to Transmundane Lane. :)

TotusTuusMaria

This video is really neat. I am contemplating facebooking it, but anyway is this guy on phatmass?

Whoever he is... I just watched some more of his videos and they are pretty awesome... I want to facebook a couple of them. May God reward him.

Instead of Transmundane Lane I vote OPEN MIC! Ya!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='19 April 2010 - 06:31 AM' timestamp='1271669465' post='2096084']
Thanks for posting that!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkOZg0xty6s[/media]
[/quote]

:clap: Thanks for posting Part 2!!!

Oh boy... can of worms subject...

Some people believe that because there are good arguments against something, the Church must be wrong.

My stance is that this is a faulty position.

If the Church gives the option, trust in her wisdom, and choose for yourself what is best for you without judging the Church for allowing others to choose differently from you.

This attitude (looking down on the Church for doing something one may not agree with) leads to a distraction from one's own spiritual life and often leads to a contempt which brings the believer into movements that are not in union with the Church. I speak from experience.

I receive communion on the tongue, for the record.

Archaeology cat

That's a good reminder, Totus Tuus. I do receive on the tongue, and much prefer it and think there are some valid points, but it's good to be reminded to trust in the Church's wisdom, too. Of course, I'm sure at least some of the problem is catechesis in and of itself.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='19 April 2010 - 07:25 AM' timestamp='1271676326' post='2096114']
That's a good reminder, Totus Tuus. I do receive on the tongue, and much prefer it and think there are some valid points, but it's good to be reminded to trust in the Church's wisdom, too. Of course, I'm sure at least some of the problem is catechesis in and of itself.
[/quote]

Catechesis is definitely a problem. "True presence" are words I only heard from my mother's mouth -- never from a catechist growing up (thank God for my mom!). I was the only kid out of 82 in my class who received my first communion on the tongue. The problem there is not that most of the kids received in the hand, but that they were not told it was even an option. They were not taught about "true presence," which might have led them to choose one or the other option truly from their heart. (The problem of catechesis would be exactly the same if all the kids were told to receive on the tongue but weren't told about the true presence).

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='19 April 2010 - 12:34 PM' timestamp='1271676853' post='2096116']
Catechesis is definitely a problem. "True presence" are words I only heard from my mother's mouth -- never from a catechist growing up (thank God for my mom!). I was the only kid out of 82 in my class who received my first communion on the tongue. The problem there is not that most of the kids received in the hand, but that they were not told it was even an option. They were not taught about "true presence," which might have led them to choose one or the other option truly from their heart. (The problem of catechesis would be exactly the same if all the kids were told to receive on the tongue but weren't told about the true presence).
[/quote]
I wasn't told about how to receive on the tongue, either (I'm a convert). Thankfully I was taught about the Real Presence. "Better catechesis" seems to be a common refrain right now, in many areas. It's a true need.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='19 April 2010 - 07:03 AM' timestamp='1271675012' post='2096111']
If the Church gives the option, trust in her wisdom, and choose for yourself what is best for you without judging the Church for allowing others to choose differently from you.

This attitude (looking down on the Church for doing something one may not agree with) leads to a distraction from one's own spiritual life and often leads to a contempt which brings the believer into movements that are not in union with the Church. I speak from experience.
[/quote]

Absolutely agreed.