An Old School Catholic Message Board

Receiving Jesus In The Hand...not A Good Idea

alrichey53091

KnightofChrist

Allowance of receiving on the hand was an indult given because so many were already not obeying the norm, which is communion on the tongue. It is time to resend the indult. Too many do not receive via the norm and that is not good.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='19 April 2010 - 01:43 PM' timestamp='1271702616' post='2096288']
Allowance of receiving on the hand was an indult given because so many were already not obeying the norm, which is communion on the tongue. It is time to resend the indult. Too many do not receive via the norm and that is not good.
[/quote]

I found the videos funny, but also instructive. Truth be told, no one had ever told me why Catholics receive the Eucharist on the tongue, instead of the hand. Now I know. I was also surprised to hear that some Catholics have been criticized for doing this or for kneeling. (I still can't believe that some Catholic churches have taken out kneelers. Granted, ancient churches usually didn't have cushions and worshippers knelt on the floor, but I doubt that the reason for taking out the kneelers was to return to this older practice.)

One of my vivid memories as a child was my 7-year-old Catholic cousin, who was about to celebrate her first Holy Communion, telling me that she was supposed to "stick out her tongue" at the priest. (This was pre-Vatican II.) I was shocked, because I had been taught never to stick out my tongue at a grown-up, especially a priest, and especially in church. Not surprisingly for a 7-year-old, my cousin didn't really explain WHY they did this, but I guess she could have told me and I forgot.

[quote name='alrichey53091' date='18 April 2010 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1271619571' post='2095702']
WOW!!! This video really shows why we should receive Jesus in on our tongues and not our hands!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiUqDa_Gzj0[/media]
[/quote]

This is an excellent video. Thank you for posting it. :)

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='19 April 2010 - 07:03 AM' timestamp='1271675012' post='2096111']
If the Church gives the option, trust in her wisdom, and choose for yourself what is best for you without judging the Church for allowing others to choose differently from you.

This attitude (looking down on the Church for doing something one may not agree with) leads to a distraction from one's own spiritual life and often leads to a contempt which brings the believer into movements that are not in union with the Church. I speak from experience.

I receive communion on the tongue, for the record.
[/quote]

It is definitely a good point that it distracts from one's own spiritual life. I think it is easy to get caught up in rules. It's easy to focus on others' abuses. One's primary focus should always be one's own spiritual life, especially one's humility. I don't think it is scrupulous to view oneself as the lowest of the low-

[quote]
Wherefore, if you see another sin openly or commit a serious crime, do not consider yourself better, for you do not know how long you can remain in good estate. All men are frail, but you must admit that none is more frail than yourself.

-Imitation of Christ
[/quote]

We should not fall into the trap of thinking ourselves more devout or in better standing with Our Lord because we see others doing something less than ideal. This is spiritual pride, and it is deadly.

This does not mean we should not speak out against abuses and for purer devotion. If we see something shocking and scandalous in the Church it is good for the Church that we point it out. Think about it, Totus Tuus. If no one ever tried to improve practices in the Church, Vatican II would not have happened and we wouldn't be having this discussion at all. Blind obedience has never been demanded of Christians, not to mention the fact that Communion in the hand is an indult and is not the norm.

It is not arrogant to point out that practices should be improved. It is charitable.

As with all things, arguing with a hot head does little good and this should above all be committed to prayer. All the action and discussion in the world is useless without a true, deep, and lasting devotion to Our Lord through prayer. If we desire to change practices in the Church for the better we must speak. If we [i]will[/i] to change practices of the Church so they are more in accord with God's Will, we must pray. Our prayer should always be a fiat.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='19 April 2010 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1271702616' post='2096288']
[/quote]
It is sad that the liturgical norm seems to have become non-normative.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='19 April 2010 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1271708214' post='2096323']
It is sad that the liturgical norm seems to have become non-normative.
[/quote]

Well one day the indult will be abolished and the norm of the Church will be the norm of the Church once again. Also Receiving on the tongue and receiving in the hand are not equal one is the norm the other is not, one is what were suppose to do the other is what we are allowed to do.

Edited by KnightofChrist

I receive on the hand for two reasons. First off, 90% of the time I receive from a EMHC, and I don't want to receive on the tongue from someone who can barely hit my very large hands. Some of the women aren't even tall enough to reach my tongue. Secondly, I have great difficulty having anyone put their hands anywhere near my face or neck. It can set off flashbacks to the strangulation. I have to be sedated to go to the dentist. I've tried to receive on the tongue, and haven't been successful.

I like the end of the second part where it says "may we all die of swine flu for Jesus Christ" :lol:. Also, "all you TLMers! Stop complaining and go to a few NO masses and show them how it's done". This guy has been charitable, but tough. We need more of that. All you people who think it's not charity, heed my words! Charity does not mean not offending! Charity is not being a fluff or not speaking the truth in order not to "hurt feelings"! Charity is telling a person what they need to hear in a way which is fruitful! It's not an easy job!

[quote name='CatherineM' date='19 April 2010 - 04:58 PM' timestamp='1271710711' post='2096355']
I receive on the hand for two reasons. First off, 90% of the time I receive from a EMHC, and I don't want to receive on the tongue from someone who can barely hit my very large hands. Some of the women aren't even tall enough to reach my tongue. Secondly, I have great difficulty having anyone put their hands anywhere near my face or neck. It can set off flashbacks to the strangulation. I have to be sedated to go to the dentist. I've tried to receive on the tongue, and haven't been successful.
[/quote]
:console:

That really smells of elderberries. May God bring you healing. Btw, don't think any of this is criticism of you! You're a church scholar for a reason :P

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='CatherineM' date='19 April 2010 - 03:58 PM' timestamp='1271710711' post='2096355']
[/quote]

CatherineM's post above reminds me of an important point. It's one thing for us to debate issues like this on Phatmass. Our attitude during worship is another.

To me, at least, our attitude during worship should be one of charity--of giving the other person the benefit of the doubt. What if the person standing behind CatherineM at Mass thinks to themselves, "That woman isn't a very good Catholic, and she's ignorant besides. Doesn't she know that the RIGHT way to receive the Eucharist is on the tongue?"

For me, during worship, ideally I am focusing on God and love he showed us in Jesus Christ, and I sincerely hope that I have the humility not to judge others or even be irritated by them, when I don't know anything about them. It's so easy to fall into the sin of "pride" or smugness, that often I don't even realize when I am doing it.

If there is something the priest does that is annoying, or I have a problem with the way the worship service is conducted, then the right time to deal with the issue (or even spend much time thinking about it) is AFTER the service by talking directly to the priest. We miss so much if we let our focus on Christ be distracted by unkind thoughts or judgement of others. I won't lie and say I've never done it, but I hope I am learning to do it less often.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

I am all for abolishing Communion in the hand. The instructions which the Pope gave with the indult have not been heard by the majority of people. He even said that the practice should not be used if the Eucharistic faith of the communicants is endangered. Well, here people just stumble towards the altar, God is pressed into their hands and most of them don't even realise it. They quickly consume Him and forget about it. The west is obviously not capable of handling this practice in a reverent way. Besides, while receiving Jesus in the hand is not a sin, it is not as good as the traditional way of kneeling and receiving Him on the tongue. The latter is intrinsically better. Pope Benedict has said this before.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='19 April 2010 - 07:03 AM' timestamp='1271675012' post='2096111']
Oh boy... can of worms subject...

Some people believe that because there are good arguments against something, the Church must be wrong.

My stance is that this is a faulty position.

If the Church gives the option, trust in her wisdom, and choose for yourself what is best for you without judging the Church for allowing others to choose differently from you.

This attitude (looking down on the Church for doing something one may not agree with) leads to a distraction from one's own spiritual life and often leads to a contempt which brings the believer into movements that are not in union with the Church. I speak from experience.

I receive communion on the tongue, for the record.
[/quote]

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='19 April 2010 - 07:25 AM' timestamp='1271676326' post='2096114']
That's a good reminder, Totus Tuus. I do receive on the tongue, and much prefer it and think there are some valid points, but it's good to be reminded to trust in the Church's wisdom, too. Of course, I'm sure at least some of the problem is catechesis in and of itself.
[/quote]
It's not necessarily contemptuous or judgmental of others to work to see that the Church's norms are restored in practice.

While it seems it's become un-pc to say so, some physical aspects of worship (such as kneeling and receiving on the tongue) are more reflective of and conducive to reverence than others. If the Blessed Eucharist is handled just like any old snack, it's no wonder that belief in the Real Presence is so low.

It seems many don't receive on the tongue because in many places this is no longer even treated as an option. When receiving in less "conservative" parishes, the priest (or if unavoidable, the "Eucharistic Minister") seems confused when I put out my tongue.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='19 April 2010 - 04:58 PM' timestamp='1271710711' post='2096355']
I receive on the hand for two reasons. First off, 90% of the time I receive from a EMHC, and I don't want to receive on the tongue from someone who can barely hit my very large hands.
[/quote]
I'm also against the common practice of unnecessary EMCHs. These are supposed to be [i]Extraordinary[/i] ministers of the Holy Eucharist, which means they are to be used in extraordinary circumstances, in which the priest or deacon is unable to deliver the Holy Eucharist (such as to infirm parishioners in remote locations). They [i]aren't[/i] supposed to be the [i]norm[/i].

But now in most places every "church lady" seems to think handling and distributing the Blessed Sacrament is her birthright, and in moderately-sized parishes at every mass there is a whole army of "extraordinary ministers" to distribute communion. I think this also contributes to a loss of the sense of the sacred about the Sacrament.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Socrates' date='19 April 2010 - 08:54 PM' timestamp='1271721249' post='2096467']
I'm also against the common practice of unnecessary EMCHs. These are supposed to be [i]Extraordinary[/i] ministers of the Holy Eucharist, which means they are to be used in extraordinary circumstances, in which the priest or deacon is unable to deliver the Holy Eucharist (such as to infirm parishioners in remote locations). They [i]aren't[/i] supposed to be the [i]norm[/i].
[/quote]

While I agree with you, it's important to note that [i]extraordinary[/i] is not meant to refer to circumstances, but rather to distinguish one from the ordinary minister of Holy Communion.

[quote name='Socrates' date='19 April 2010 - 06:54 PM' timestamp='1271721249' post='2096467']

But now in most places every "church lady" seems to think handling and distributing the Blessed Sacrament is her birthright, and in moderately-sized parishes at every mass there is a whole army of "extraordinary ministers" to distribute communion. I think this also contributes to a loss of the sense of the sacred about the Sacrament.
[/quote]
You have just described my parish exactly. We have a retired priest in our parish who doesn't distribute because his hands shake, but every little old lady with shaky hands does.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Bennn' date='19 April 2010 - 07:59 PM' timestamp='1271717995' post='2096436']
Well, here people just stumble towards the altar, God is pressed into their hands and most of them don't even realise it. They quickly consume Him and forget about it.[/quote]
Getting a bit judgemental?? Are you qualified to decide people's hearts?