An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1327863168' post='2377036']
Thanks. St. Cecilia's just felt so right. I can't even describe how it was, I just kind of knew. I mean I obviously still have to go for the live-in but at the moment it's the one.

Their Gregorian chant is so beautiful, it's one of the things that attracted me to them in the first place. Hearing it for real was incredible. I'm not really that chilled, it's just a bit surreal at the moment.

The next step would be for me to go for a live-in for about three weeks. The earliest I could realistically do that is in June, after I finish university, but I'd have to deal with family objections first and I'm not sure how to deal with that.

I've been meaning to write to Faith at some point and she does actually know the sisters at St. Cecilia's since she lived on the island and used to go to Mass there.
[/quote]

I want to sing Gregorian chant... or at least hear it in real life.... :)

Dealing with family objections - meh, I know. In my experience you can't really 'deal with them', that's what they have to do. All I could do was tell them, let them go away and adjust their expectations/opinions of me for a little while, and then be ready to answer any and all questions. (I even had to answer a question from my cousin about how nuns bathe - did they all sit in the bathtub together and read the Bible?) Good luck :) Let us know how the live-in plans unfold.

Juchu- congratulations! It's always wonderful to see people's journeys on PM end, so that new journeys can begin! You can be assured of my prayers for your entrance!

Emily Ann- I'm so, so, soooooo happy for you!!!!!! :dance5:

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1327872588' post='2377131']
Juchu- congratulations! It's always wonderful to see people's journeys on PM end, so that new journeys can begin! You can be assured of my prayers for your entrance!

Emily Ann- I'm so, so, soooooo happy for you!!!!!! :dance5:
[/quote]

Thanks! I'm pretty happy for me too. Hehe.

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1327872315' post='2377129']
I want to sing Gregorian chant... or at least hear it in real life.... :)

Dealing with family objections - meh, I know. In my experience you can't really 'deal with them', that's what they have to do. All I could do was tell them, let them go away and adjust their expectations/opinions of me for a little while, and then be ready to answer any and all questions. (I even had to answer a question from my cousin about how nuns bathe - did they all sit in the bathtub together and read the Bible?) Good luck :) Let us know how the live-in plans unfold.
[/quote]

The main problem is I did actually tell my mother I'd stop thinking about it. It was in a fit of despair when she was going on about hating the Church because of it and I just snapped. I'm terrified of saying anything again, especially when I realistically have to move back home after I finish university.

EmilyAnn, one of the most difficult things I've ever had to deal with is hearing my mother tell me that she is wrougt with guilt because she knows, as a cradle Catholic, that she should be happy that I want to be a religious, but yet feeling so angry at the Church instead.

I realized that my Vocation, as such, is not just for me. It's for the conversion and sanctification of my parents. They are broken, angry, afraid... We have been so blessed to grow in love with God and His Church, but our parents have no idea what we see. You must love them, and keep loving them. When they see how happy you are, things will begin to change in front of them, but it only begins with love.

brandelynmarie

Continued prayers for HB. :amen:

Juchu & EmilyAnn & Deus_te_Amat, much happiness for you all! Prayers for you guys too! :pray: :amen:

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1327877926' post='2377188']
The main problem is I did actually tell my mother I'd stop thinking about it. It was in a fit of despair when she was going on about hating the Church because of it and I just snapped. I'm terrified of saying anything again, especially when I realistically have to move back home after I finish university.
[/quote]
I know exactly where you are coming from with dealing with difficult parents. I have almost been kicked out of my house twice (no joke) due to "differences of opinion" about my vocation. Once my parents asked me to take a break from discerning for at least 6 months. I respected their wishes and managed 8 months but I started contacting communities after that. For now we keep it more on a need to know basis.
Letters are wonderful for telling parents the very first time. It gives them time to process through their initial reactions and emotions. Then it is good to actually have a conversation either in person or by phone. By that point they will have hopefully calmed down a bit and have formulated some questions.
Something else that has worked for me recently is find ways to connect on their level. For example on my last retreat I took a ton of stained glass window pictures. I was able to show my parents those pictures and talk a little bit about the retreat as a result. Look for little ways to keep your parents involved and things will go much smoother.

I will be praying for you!

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1327891056' post='2377321']
Something else that has worked for me recently is find ways to connect on their level. For example on my last retreat I took a ton of stained glass window pictures. I was able to show my parents those pictures and talk a little bit about the retreat as a result. Look for little ways to keep your parents involved and things will go much smoother.
[/quote]

I agree. For my parents, having the farm to focus on has been a big help, I think. They know that, in my mother's words, it's "not just that" but it's easier for both me and them to talk normally about everything if we collectively pretend it's mostly the farm animals and gardening I'm going for. Not totally perfect if you're a stickler for 'complete honesty all the time' or something, but I've learned that sometimes it's the kinder thing to do.

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1327919570' post='2377572']
I agree. For my parents, having the farm to focus on has been a big help, I think. They know that, in my mother's words, it's "not just that" but it's easier for both me and them to talk normally about everything if we collectively pretend it's mostly the farm animals and gardening I'm going for. Not totally perfect if you're a stickler for 'complete honesty all the time' or something, but I've learned that sometimes it's the kinder thing to do.
[/quote]

Exactly, I do the same thing with the hope that someday they will be able to understand and handle the whole picture.

PS. Marigold, any news on your visa?

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1327948018' post='2377721']
Exactly, I do the same thing with the hope that someday they will be able to understand and handle the whole picture.

PS. Marigold, any news on your visa?
[/quote]

Nooooooooo. I need extra strong prayers please. It's stressful. I keep rearranging the contents of my suitcase as though it's going to make a difference. :(

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1327967838' post='2377920']
Nooooooooo. I need extra strong prayers please. It's stressful. I keep rearranging the contents of my suitcase as though it's going to make a difference. :(
[/quote]

:( :amen: :beg:

LaPetiteSoeur

[/quote]
Praying for you, sister!

Guest hermanita

[/quote] Praying for you!

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1327993066' post='2378163']
Praying here too... :)
[/quote]
[quote name='hermanita' timestamp='1327987587' post='2378129']
Praying for you!
[/quote]
[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1327979852' post='2378074']
Praying for you, sister!
[/quote]
[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1327979135' post='2378068']
:( :amen: :beg:
[/quote]

Thank you <3

[/quote]

Prayers chica! :console:

Emily Ann I'm so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nun2: