Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

brightsadness
Posted

India Pale Ale Yum!!

Marie-Therese
Posted

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='14 June 2010 - 02:03 PM' timestamp='1276538605' post='2128619']
That being said, alcohol can be an enticing drug, and we should be cautious in how we advocate its use, and be cognizant of message we're communicating. No matter how it happens, the fact is that American kids aren't raised like European kids, so there is an allure to alcohol that might not otherwise be there. It's one thing for us to talk about enjoying alcohol in moderation, but another thing for us, as an organization, to advocate its consumption and treat alcoholic beverages like they're something holy. Like I said, I enjoy alcohol, but I've seen enough of its effects to know that it's nothing worthy of worship.

If we want to sell Phatmass beer mugs, that's fine. I just think we should be aware of the message we're sending, and the impact that message might have. A little thought before acting never hurt anyone.
[/quote]

I absolutely agree. That allure to alcohol as a sort of "forbidden fruit" as a difference between European kids and American kids was precisely what I was talking about.

And you are correct, we should be prudent in our portrayal of a potential endorsement of any activity which could be illegal for any of our members. :)

Nihil Obstat
Posted

What about Belloc's Catholic Sun as the quote? :))

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

in my culture alcohol is as normal as water so all the fuss about beer is sort of amusing.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='14 June 2010 - 05:02 PM' timestamp='1276549320' post='2128787']
What about Belloc's Catholic Sun as the quote? :))
[/quote]
amen brother.


Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s always laughter and good red wine.
At least I've always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!

Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='14 June 2010 - 05:02 PM' timestamp='1276549320' post='2128787']
What about Belloc's Catholic Sun as the quote? :))
[/quote]


[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='14 June 2010 - 05:22 PM' timestamp='1276550563' post='2128802']
amen brother.


Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s always laughter and good red wine.
At least I've always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!
[/quote]
Because we're talking about a beer stein, not a wine glass.

The Belloc poem can go on the Phatmass wine glasses.

Posted

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='14 June 2010 - 02:03 PM' timestamp='1276538605' post='2128619'] It's one thing for us to talk about enjoying alcohol in moderation, but another thing for us, as an organization, to advocate its consumption and treat alcoholic beverages like they're something holy.
[/quote]
There really isn't a drink much more Catholic than beer, as it was practically invented by medieval German monks. The good monks wouldn't devote themselves to the production of something that wasn't holy.

southern california guy
Posted

I don't have any ideas for a logo, but I do like the idea of Phatmass beer mugs! They should be pint sized. I may have to buy a whole set!

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='Ziggamafu' date='14 June 2010 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1276536138' post='2128584']
St Brigid of Ireland said something like, "I would like a great lake of beer for the King of Kings. I would like to be watching Heaven’s family drinking it through all eternity."

I will buy one for sure.
[/quote]
St. Brigid's Quote:
I would like the angels of Heaven to be among us.
I would like an abundance of peace.
I would like full vessels of charity.
I would like rich treasures of mercy.
I would like cheerfulness to preside over all.
I would like Jesus to be present.
I would like the three Marys of illustrious renown to be with us.
I would like the friends of Heaven to be gathered around us from all parts.
I would like myself to be a rent payer to the Lord; that I should suffer distress, that he would bestow a good blessing upon me.
I would like a great lake of beer for the King of Kings.
I would like to be watching Heaven’s family drinking it through all eternity.
- Saint Brigid

That should so be on the beer mugs. *nods* Not that I'd be getting any, as beer makes me gag...:mellow:


[quote name='Socrates' date='14 June 2010 - 07:30 PM' timestamp='1276558240' post='2128875']
There really isn't a drink much more Catholic than beer, as it was practically invented by medieval German monks. The good monks wouldn't devote themselves to the production of something that wasn't holy.
[/quote]
I always had to laugh, because I used to be friends with this guy who would go on and on about how Catholics were "allergic" to fun, and then go off about how they were against drinking. He never could catch on that wine and beer was/is made by Monks!

Nihil Obstat
Posted

I think we can shorten that to: "I would like a great lake of beer." -St. Brigid

Posted

Geroges Bizet and Adam Sandler approve.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzcEG_JoVuo[/media]

Posted

I think beer is overrated. Hard Apple Cider, however, is a great low alcohol drink.

1337 k4th0l1x0r
Posted (edited)

It has to be truly beer snobby. Put a special notch to place your pinky when you hold it out.

Edited by 1337 k4th0l1x0r
MissScripture
Posted

I was looking for ice cream recipes and found this:
[url="http://www.sendicecream.com/gunstouticec.html"]Guiness Stout Ice Cream[/url]

I thought it might be appreciated in this thread.

Posted

[quote name='Hassan' date='14 June 2010 - 08:21 PM' timestamp='1276561263' post='2128916']
I think beer is overrated. Hard Apple Cider, however, is a great low alcohol drink.
[/quote]


[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img] Cider isn't all that great.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

What do you guys think of Strongbow?
[img]http://luekensliquors.com/store/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/images/STRONGBOWCIDER.jpg[/img]

Posted

[quote name='zunshynn' date='14 June 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1276539154' post='2128625']
I don't think that many members are minors anymore...
[/quote]

Do Triddytrad and I not count as members? :weep:

Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='14 June 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1276561859' post='2128926']
What do you guys think of Strongbow?
[/quote]


It's ok, but I don't know why one would ever drink cider when one could drink Guinness. :mellow:

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='14 June 2010 - 07:35 PM' timestamp='1276562129' post='2128930']
It's ok, but I don't know why one would ever drink cider when one could drink Guinness. :mellow:
[/quote]
That is by and large quite true.

Posted

[quote name='MissScripture' date='14 June 2010 - 07:47 PM' timestamp='1276559277' post='2128894']
I always had to laugh, because I used to be friends with this guy who would go on and on about how Catholics were "allergic" to fun, and then go off about how they were against drinking. He never could catch on that wine and beer was/is made by Monks!
[/quote]
That's funny, because the whole "alcohol is evil" "temperance movement" thing was a [i]Protestant[/i] movement. There are still a lot of Protestant sects that teach that any and all alcohol is use inherently sinful (those "Jesus used grape juice" types).

Oddly, I've heard the "Catholics don't drink" line before. People must confuse us with the Mormons or something.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...